Actors and riding

BBP

Visit site
Stables I went for a trek at in Glen Orchy told me that lots of the local girls and their ponies and the trekking yard ponies were extras for the riders of Rohan in LOTRs. They wore fake beards and the ponies kept getting over excited and galloping off sans teenage girl. I thought it made for a highly entertaining picture ?
Who did you ride and when??!

I used to work at the trekking place in Glenorchy so got a lot of inside goss on the Riders of Rohan scenes. So now I watch the movies just watching out for ‘my’ horses.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Watching The Great (don’t judge, I was hoping for a reasonable historical thing) and Nicholas Hoult at one point bombs off on a horse (are they all bloody Friesians, in the 18th century?!). Looks like he can really ride. Either that or he has amazing balance.

This is a good zombie thread.

Read somewhere that Liv Tyler, Arwen in LOTR, was terrified of horses. No way was she getting on one. So for all the close-up shots, they used a mechanical horse that rocked back and forth, and for the wider angle ones, a stunt rider rode that pretty PRE. I think the stunt rider/trainer ended up owning the stallion at the end of filming.

Seen a couple Netflix shows recently where the actors rode the horses to a secluded spot for an intense, heart-to-heart conversation, and they just let the reins drag on the ground while the horses grazed, going nowhere, and the characters paid zero attention to them. Obviously their handlers were just off screen, but I'm sure every horse person who watched that was thinking, "Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh."

Also, watched a couple episodes of Outlander and could not get past people riding Friesians around the Scottish Highlands in the 1745 Rebellion. I couldn't do it. Could suspend disbelief for the time travelling bit, but not the damned Friesians.

Why is it always Friesians??

In my youth, I was a riding double for the kid's tv show 'The Saddle Club', based on the books of the same name. Was an incredible experience for 12 year old me! No school for 4 months, and just riding horses alllllll day

Omg, absolutely superb!

Not a good shot of it but ... It was the wording 'Sheer Enjoyment' plus riding a horse naked that upset them, apparently ...?

View attachment 63443

Wow, stunning! That pout, you look AMAZING!! ?

Visit site
Have not read whole thread but can only think of 2 actors who actually ride: viggo mortensen and William shatner ?

Also CI is right about the lotr stunt double, but mortensen bought the stallion for the stunt rider and one of the horses he rode for himself apparently.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
There are very few actors that can really ride, if they look like they can it's usually down to clever editing and a good stunt double.

Friesians were around in the 18th century, for those of you who object to them in an historical setting. They are often used because they are generally steady, up to weight, and eye catching. Everything else is usually Spanish :)

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Also, watched a couple episodes of Outlander and could not get past people riding Friesians around the Scottish Highlands in the 1745 Rebellion. I couldn't do it. Could suspend disbelief for the time travelling bit, but not the damned Friesians.

I know! Really, is it that difficult to find a few quiet highlands for them. I remember OH thought it was funny how thrilled I was that they actually had the right type of horse and tack when we watched Beowulf and Grendel. Then some idiot film critic was on around the time complaining that "real vikings didn't ride ponies" though, so I guess they can't win.

beowulfgrendel-image9.jpg

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Friesians were around in the 18th century, for those of you who object to them in an historical setting.

I know its more your area than mine Cortez, and I take your point its theoretically possible as the breed did exist at the time, but is it really likely they were the horse of choice for Highlanders during the rebellion?

Caol Ila

Visit site
I know Friesians were around in the 18th C, but I would be very surprised if anyone was using them in the Scottish Highlands. Infrastructure as we know it did not exist up there until after (and during) the '45 Rebellion, built by the army, initially, to make it easier to put down unrest. Prior to building General Wade's Road, people traveled overland on rough, boggy tracks (or used boats, which could be quicker). A fancy carriage horse would be pretty useless. Travel accounts from that era, like Thomas Pennant's, described people using things resembling Highlands. Even now, not much else can cope with the terrain, the midges, and the weather.

Last edited:

Lyle

Visit site
I think it's important to note as well, that there are usually multiple filming units, so while the actors are off filming all the acting scenes, there will be other units off on different locations filming other stuff, such as the riding. So even if actors can ride, they really don't have many opportunites. :)

Cloball

Visit site
Who did you ride and when??!

I used to work at the trekking place in Glenorchy so got a lot of inside goss on the Riders of Rohan scenes. So now I watch the movies just watching out for ‘my’ horses.
I can't remember his name but he was a lovely bay gentlemanly hunter type. I think it must be the same place. We rode up the Dart. Fantastic day! This was 2015.

Reactions: BBP

HashRouge

Visit site
Talking of historically accurate horses, I always really liked the black and white cob ridden by Heston the viking in The Last Kingdom. I remember they had the brothers Erik and Siegfried on what looked like Shire horses too. Always felt a bit more authentic, though I have no idea if it was!

Splash2310

Visit site

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I know its more your area than mine Cortez, and I take your point its theoretically possible as the breed did exist at the time, but is it really likely they were the horse of choice for Highlanders during the rebellion?
Oh no, absolutely not accurate; they would have been riding garrons or highlands. But remember, Highlander is about time travel, so it's fantasy, not history.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Talking of historically accurate horses, I always really liked the black and white cob ridden by Heston the viking in The Last Kingdom. I remember they had the brothers Erik and Siegfried on what looked like Shire horses too. Always felt a bit more authentic, though I have no idea if it was!
*Wasn't. Vikings would have ridden something like a Fjord or an Icelandic horse if "at home", and local horses if raiding. Shires were not really Shires until the later 18c, and there is not much evidence for piebald/skewbald horses in the 10/11c.

Kipper's Dick

Visit site
*Wasn't. Vikings would have ridden something like a Fjord or an Icelandic horse if "at home", and local horses if raiding. Shires were not really Shires until the later 18c, and there is not much evidence for piebald/skewbald horses in the 10/11c.

I love this sort of information, really fascinating. Do you have any thoughts, Cortez, as to what type of breeding the destrier might have been? Apparently the knights of old in their shining (and quite heavy) armour weren't riding big ponderous draft horses at all, but smaller and lighter horses?
(Sorry, not meant to de-rail thread, just interested.)

Last edited:

stormox

Visit site
Just remembered, my instructor in the early 70s had worked on, and had a small riding double bit in Carry on Cowboy and had the job of trying to teach Sid, Charles, Kenneth etc to ride . Not quite Sean and co but apparently it was great fun?

The yard I worked at supplied horses for that, and 'Carry on Dick' as well as all the Hammer Horrors. Great fun.

Pippity

Visit site
I love this sort of information, really fascinating. Do you have any thoughts, Cortez, as to what type of breeding the destrier might have been? Apparently the knights of old in their shining (and quite heavy) armour weren't riding big ponderous draft horses at all, but smaller and lighter horses?
(Sorry, not meant to de-rail thread, just interested)

From Royal Armouries (https://royalarmouries.org/stories/all-the-kings-horses/):

"Investigating the physical remains of horses recovered during archaeological excavations can further elaborate on the size and conformation of medieval horses. By the 16th century, warhorses were becoming lighter and swifter, while jousting tournaments continued to favour sturdier destrier-type medieval chargers. The latter were ideal for jousting as they had been carefully bred and trained for mêlée-style combat. Contrary to common belief, these horses were relatively small, rarely reaching more than 14hh or 15hh at the shoulder, more similar to a sturdy pony than the heavy draft horses depicted in modern media."

They rode cobs. This explains so much about cobs.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Yeah, on that Clydesdale documentary that aired on BBC, the most interesting part (for me), was in the brief history of the breed, where they said that during the 19th C, there was basically a draft horse arms race, breeding horses bigger and bigger so they could pull increasingly heavier stuff and plow more fields. That implied that the huge drafts we see today were not the warhorses of old, but rather came out of the 19th century version of Top Gear -- who can get the most horsepower, quite literally.

As far as Outlander goes, the writing and acting weren't good enough for me to look past the wrong horses, or the film locations that were plainly nowhere near Inverness. The time travel thing would have been fine if the script was strong enough carry it, alongside the leaden weight of Friesians, putting the Callanish stones on the mainland, and adding a distinctive pointy rock formation where there is none.

I never said I wasn't a tough audience. :)

Last edited:

Kipper's Dick

Visit site
From Royal Armouries (https://royalarmouries.org/stories/all-the-kings-horses/):

"Investigating the physical remains of horses recovered during archaeological excavations can further elaborate on the size and conformation of medieval horses. By the 16th century, warhorses were becoming lighter and swifter, while jousting tournaments continued to favour sturdier destrier-type medieval chargers. The latter were ideal for jousting as they had been carefully bred and trained for mêlée-style combat. Contrary to common belief, these horses were relatively small, rarely reaching more than 14hh or 15hh at the shoulder, more similar to a sturdy pony than the heavy draft horses depicted in modern media."

They rode cobs. This explains so much about cobs.

What an interesting article, thanks for posting the link.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site

Besides mentioning the Icelandic, and Fjord Horse breeds, according to what I've read, the now extinct breed Ölandshorse had the same origin as today's Icelandic Horse. Today's North Swedish Horse, and the Norwegian Dølehorse, and Nordlandshorse also have the same origin.

The last image of an Ölandshorse, the mare Lilly, from 1922.

olandshast_stoet_lilly.jpg

From 2005 they've tried to reinvent a type of Ölandshorse, by importing some Estonian Native Horse/Klepper, that was found to have the same genome. The Klepper is said to have developed from an ancient forest horse some thousands years ago.
Today's Klepper/Estonian Native Horse:

Estonian-Horse.jpg

Today's North Swedish Horse

kusk-hos-malinda-1140x973.jpg

But I've also read that there is old drawings/other material which shows Vikings riding horses resembling today's Danish Jutsk/Jutland Horse:

Jutland-Horse.jpg

By the way, I think the name Klepper was used in several countries from the middle ages, or around that time, on a type of riding horse. I know it was used in Sweden (ETA but spelled Klippare), but that type of horse was a bit larger than the Estonian Klepper.

Anyhow, back to the subject, I've read that Sam Elliott is more than a decent rider

f6f70f563b61d13f562e2d7df4bfa0b9.jpg

Last edited: