Addington manor closing down

dizz4

Visit site
I have just heard a rumour that Addington Manor Equestrian Centre is going to close....!!!! I don't know when or even if it is true but if it is this is a major competition centre for Dressage, Show Jumping and many other equestrian events and I think the loss will be devastating.... can anyone confirm this rumour and can we do anything about it...

dizz4

Stockers

Visit site
If it is true (and I hope it isn't) then it will probably end up with a property developer.

I see a worrying trend - not just with equestrian centres but livery yards too in my area. I fear the demise of equestrian facilities over the next twenty years will seriously inhibit horse-ownership and competition.

dizz4

Visit site
I have also seen many riding schools closing down and now competition arenas... what next...
If it is true (and I hope it isn't) then it will probably end up with a property developer.

I see a worrying trend - not just with equestrian centres but livery yards too in my area. I fear the demise of equestrian facilities over the next twenty years will seriously inhibit horse-ownership and competition.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Sorry if I'm being thick but I don't understand why you're asking this on here? If you want to know if its closing why don't you contact the show centre and ask them? The council planning office or website could tell you if planning permission has been applied for or granted, if you're worried about it being changed into houses. You could also ask the council and the show centre if there's anything you could do to avoid it being closed, if it is closing, such as raise funds, generate new business or oppose planning. I suspect the only answer would be to buy it yourself though.

I too think horse ownership might change in the future. All the cheap livery yards seem to be owned by people who own the land/yard and I wonder how many get sold when those owners die. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the future cheap DIY yards die out and horse owning becomes largely for the better off earners again like in times past. It's a sad thought.

dizz4

Visit site
Yes I was only asking and if this thread generates some more interest for people to go to Addington and maybe keep it open then that would be good, it is a shame we may lose a really good competition venue...
Whoa, she was only asking a question! :)

dianchi

Visit site
Heard this mid summer, they were approached by developers, so dosent surprise me if true.
Still find it odd that Patchetts although sold has nothing happening to it, you would have thought the shows make a profit to keep running, rather than empty ghost town :(

Im gonna have to move at this rate as I'm running out of show centres!

Bigbenji

Visit site
Heard this mid summer, they were approached by developers, so dosent surprise me if true.
Still find it odd that Patchetts although sold has nothing happening to it, you would have thought the shows make a profit to keep running, rather than empty ghost town :(

Those of us who live near Patchetts are fighting tooth and nail to appose any building. Been way too much development in the area as it is and the roads around the area can barely cope.

Developers are targeting equestrian centers as the building regulations have been relaxed to 'boost' the economy don't you know.

It made the papers that people including the council were concerned that so many equestrian property's in Hertfordshire were being targeted. The newspaper also highlighted how many people were concerned that such a successful center such as Patchetts was closed. Let's face it, liverys always full, clubhouse always busy and the amount of entries attending shows 2-3 times a week always full hardly suggests center that is not required does it?

Unfortunately money talks and the people with the cash are the developers :(

Abi90

Visit site
Addington Manor is hosting the HM Forces Equitation Championships in April next year so if it is closing its certainly not before then

Carefreegirl

Visit site
BuryFarm was closing last week, next week it'll probably be Keysoe, the week after that Merrist Wood, the week after that Houghton Hall..... Sense a pattern :wink3:

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Like Milton Keynes with the wind farm :(

They were always going to stop the xc and BE regardless of if they got planning for the turbine. They only wanted to run it for ten years and unfortunately couldn't sell. Shame though, it's not the same going there just for the xc schooling.

Pinkvboots

Visit site

totally agree I used to love patchetts it was such a lovely venue got quite a few red rosettes there too I think it's really sad :(

Clare85

Visit site
I emailed Addington to ask about the rumour and have just received the following response (apologies for spelling etc. I've copied and pasted from the email I received):

Hi

Thank you for your email.

No the rumours are not true that we are closing down - its all just rumours. We have a very busy year planned next year and all ready taking bookings for 2017

Regards

Laura

applecart14

Visit site
They were always going to stop the xc and BE regardless of if they got planning for the turbine. They only wanted to run it for ten years and unfortunately couldn't sell. Shame though, it's not the same going there just for the xc schooling.

I know I really miss the 3DE. Hopefully SRC will run a 2DE in the future but its a shame, I loved the atmosphere and the camping!

dizz4

Visit site
Actually if it highlights the fact that these places are vulnerable and centres for riding are closing down right, left and centre it may make people appreciate what they have and support them where they can as they may not be there forever.... I for one am saddened at the constant news of riding schools closing down, competition venues changing hands and closing, there will soon be very few places for people without horses to ride or people with horses to compete at.... and if a few more people take the time to attend these venues that it can't do any harm can it...
sounds like a totally baseless rumour, but a thread stating "addington manor closing down" really helps nobody

crabbymare

Visit site
I emailed Addington to ask about the rumour and have just received the following response (apologies for spelling etc. I've copied and pasted from the email I received):

Hi

Thank you for your email.

No the rumours are not true that we are closing down - its all just rumours. We have a very busy year planned next year and all ready taking bookings for 2017

Regards

Laura
thats good to hear and thanks for asking them :)

dianchi

Visit site
Those of us who live near Patchetts are fighting tooth and nail to appose any building. Been way too much development in the area as it is and the roads around the area can barely cope.

Developers are targeting equestrian centers as the building regulations have been relaxed to 'boost' the economy don't you know.

It made the papers that people including the council were concerned that so many equestrian property's in Hertfordshire were being targeted. The newspaper also highlighted how many people were concerned that such a successful center such as Patchetts was closed. Let's face it, liverys always full, clubhouse always busy and the amount of entries attending shows 2-3 times a week always full hardly suggests center that is not required does it?

Unfortunately money talks and the people with the cash are the developers :(

Absolutely pointless as its too late, my point was just a shame its not running still whilst they get planning.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I suppose people are getting a bit worried as so many equestrian centres (competition venues, livery yards, riding schools) are being targeted especially round here when they are in the greenbelt. Developers are arguing that existing structures: - Manege, storage barns, stables etc mean it is already developed and so doesn't count as loss of green belt. It's a bit of trend not a one off and in some cases they say there are no plans to close while simultaneously submitting plans for housing.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Don't know anything about the OP in real life, but it was most inadvisable of them to start this thread. The last thing a business needs is scaremongering via tittle tattle.

From the H&H news item:

Addington’s director Tim Price told H&H this morning (Thursday, 29 October) that there is “no truth” in the gossip.
“We are investigating who has been putting these rumours around,” he said.
“When we find out, there will be action taken.”

dizz4

Visit site
Glad to have it confirmed from the owners that it is not closing down....
Don't know anything about the OP in real life, but it was most inadvisable of them to start this thread. The last thing a business needs is scaremongering via tittle tattle.

From the H&H news item:

Addington’s director Tim Price told H&H this morning (Thursday, 29 October) that there is “no truth” in the gossip.
“We are investigating who has been putting these rumours around,” he said.
“When we find out, there will be action taken.”

Under-the-radar

Visit site
Thank you admin, and I agree that this kind of thread was probably not what they needed right now as it will now be searchable online! Just what you need when you are trying to put rumours to bed :)

Reading the H&H article, it more sounds like H&H asked the question of Addington off the back of this thread, rather than anything else! ;)