Adjusting Equipe saddles

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Toby has changed shape and my beloved Equipe saddle is pinching him. Ive contaced the people I bought it from. Apparently to adjust it I need it send it to Italy and it will be away for 6 weeks, cost a lot and there is no chance to try it out on the horse! Is that common? I had no idea when buying it, that adjusting for changing shapes would be such a hassle!!

little_critter

Visit site
I believe there are a couple of approved adjusters in the UK. My saddler was one (Chris Harper based at Wadswick, Nr Bath) I'm not sure who the other is. I called the UK importer of Equipe (Zebra products I think) and asked them.
It was quite pricey to adjust...around £250 from memory because he removes the head plate and installs a different sized one (he doesn't just bend the existing tree). I think it took a week or 2.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
That seems crazy. Toby is changing shape rapidly and I could need to adjust it every 6 months.
Arghhh now what! Where is the best place to sell on?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
i think it's common with the european saddles that you have to send them away or hope you can find one of the few in the UK who can do them. i'm fortuante that mine is fractionally too wide for everything I've used it on and pads up nicely! I got a second hand amerigo for Darcy, felt same to ride in and wool flocked so bit more adjustment possible plus the older ones don't hold the same value as equipes, if you wanted to look for alternatives.

selling wise, I'd try FB first, I always flog mine on FB :)

Scarlett

Visit site
I'd call round.

I use a guy 45 min away, costs £150 Inc assessment and it was done in about a week. I'm South East so probably no use to you but I imagine others will be able to do it in the UK.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
i think it's common with the european saddles that you have to send them away or hope you can find one of the few in the UK who can do them.

Yep, generally they get sent away. Many years before I became a fitter I had a Prestige needed a width adjustment and a different shaped panel, I had the main UK fitter out, who at that time was one of the few people that dealt with them, and the saddle was gone over 6 months in the end. I was so furious that I wasn't charged a bean in the end. If the tree is more than a width out there's a decent chance that a different tree or panel shape is needed anyway so always good to have a full assessment, adjustment onsite wherever possible, and the chance to try other options.

Reactions: TPO

ohcat1

New User
Visit site
I'd call round.

I use a guy 45 min away, costs £150 Inc assessment and it was done in about a week. I'm South East so probably no use to you but I imagine others will be able to do it in the UK.
Hi Scarlett, I’m in Surrey and wondered who you used as I’ve got an equipe that needs adjusting? Thanks

AUB

Visit site
I didn’t need to send mine away when I had it re-fitted about a year ago. My sadler could put in a new gullet(?) on the spot and she can shave off the cold foam too.

If she had needed to add to the foam I think she said that she would need to either send it to Italy or order foam.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
If you’re in SE Sara at ProSaddles is brilliant. I think she might now be based in Devon but I’m pretty sure she still heads up that way.

ew0855

Visit site
Apparently theres only so many times they can be altered. I had my old equipe widened but was told that as its previous owner had previously had it narrowed it wouldnt be possible to change again. (Sold the saddle and moved to a wow - glad I did as then bought a 4 year old who seems to like changing shape on a weekly basis!)