Admitting defeat... sensibly!

TheMule

Visit site
You realised he was tricky but have ignored warning signs and got on him anyway (more than one!) What you've possibly done is ruin any chance he may have had of accepting a rider and therefore you owe it to him to make up for your screw up and find him a secure future where you either find someone you know and trust who will give him time and a chance, montior him as a companion or have him PTS to avoid him continuing to get passed around and potentially abused. 13hh is a very difficult height so I don't know that you'll realisticall be able to do the first option.

tda

Visit site
Sadly you have to step up for this

Me and my friend bought two ponies from a good friend who was terminally ill, so she knew what would happen to them while she still could. One was a star , easily brought back into work and sold to a super home. The 2nd one, after 3 months of very unpredictable behaviour and investigations we decided to pts. Beautiful animal and could have easily sold for little money, but that's not the point. Yes we lost money but it was the right thing to do

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I'll explain fully-
He was bought as being calm and unbroken/untouched which I have experience of. He has turned out I suspect to be broken before(badly) and passed from pillar to post(judging by passport). He panicked at movement around his side's and back. We have got to the point of things around him being ok and a rider on him being ok- but he remains very tense about this and the slightest of movement can panic him- although at times he is ok - legs flapping etc.
If he moves with a rider he panics, throws himself around bucking/twisting- anything to get rid of the cause of panic.
We tried weights today, he was initially ok then got himself into an entire panic has torn the D rings/leathers off the saddle that were securing the weight.

He has been seen by the vet, everything checks out well. He will never pass a 5 stage, he is pidgeon toed, very short backed but works sound, teeth were also surprisingly in good condition and had been done recently. Haven't contacted chiro as I was waiting to see how we progressed- clearly not well but I don't believe a chiro will be the miracle cure!

Upshot of this.
I'm left feeling deflated and although I see bits of progress realistically I'm out of my depth.
I do not have the space to accomdate him all winter nor the finances to continually look for an answer to his issues.
I have no idea what has happened to him, how far people have got with his ridden career- could there be other issues?
OH is less than amused that I've been thrown twice so far, luckily without injury.- so it's a constant house battle.

I know if I keep going perhaps I will see more improvement but by then winter will be upon us and it will be a nightmare selling and I'll be more out of pocket and potentially still stuck with a companion.

I'm really not sure which avenue to go. I tend to react quickly and don't put alot of thought into my actions, hence the reason I have him in the first instance.

Sorry but it sounds like you have moved on with his progress far too quickly you have had him 4 weeks and your trying to put weight on him? why take on a project mid summer knowing you cant keep another horse through the winter even the easiest horses can take a good few months to see progress, whatever was you thinking sorry to be blunt but you have possibly made this pony worse

stormox

Visit site
Pigeon toes wont be a vet fail. Vets dont asses conformation only health and unsoundness. You have only had him 6 weeks and have already been on his back? Thats taking it very fast. Just because he bucked doesnt mean he was broken before, some horses have a very major panic rection at being sat on - its a natural response to a predator.

JillA

Visit site
In all fairness to this poor pony, and so as not to write him off thanks to human stupidity, turn him away, save up and send him to someone like Micky Gavin who has all the experience and expertise. It sounds as though turning him away will unscramble his brain and then someone needs to take days or weeks over each and every tiny little step. Meanwhile you could do some groundwork and desensitisation work with him so he can learn not all humans are idiots.
People make me so cross, they think they can do it like painting by numbers - OP you can take this to mean you or previous owners, whichever the cap fits.
I had one to rehome who had been thoroughly *******ed up by successive people and he is a field ornament now, as he had learned to bolt. It is really difficult to unlearn stuff like that, and he was very very lucky to find a home where he could live pressure free.

Last edited:

foxy1

Visit site
4 weeks is no time at all!

I had one to back that was very sensitive to movement, I built a dummy from overalls and stuffed it with old clothes. It was surprisingly heavy! I then practiced dummy flopping around at halt/ walk / trot/ canter, started led, then lunged, then long reins. Pulled the dummy off and let it flop on ground over head, shoulders, tail. Desensitised with all manner of odd things all over him too.

And only then did I attempt to get on, and even then I was very careful and took things very slowly.

It took ages but was well worth it as the pony was truly relaxed at the end of it.

You have gone far too quickly.

xDundryx

Visit site
I'm baffled about why you've even bought this pony if you don't have the time, patience or funds for a project??

Hopefully someone will step up and take the responsibility nobody has bothered to so far for him.

Agree with this completely.

Sandstone1

Visit site
4 weeks is no time at all!

I had one to back that was very sensitive to movement, I built a dummy from overalls and stuffed it with old clothes. It was surprisingly heavy! I then practiced dummy flopping around at halt/ walk / trot/ canter, started led, then lunged, then long reins. Pulled the dummy off and let it flop on ground over head, shoulders, tail. Desensitised with all manner of odd things all over him too.

And only then did I attempt to get on, and even then I was very careful and took things very slowly.

It took ages but was well worth it as the pony was truly relaxed at the end of it.

You have gone far too quickly.

Poor pony. Youve rushed him and made matters worse. He needs someone to spend time on him and forget about riding him for several month's.
Sounds like the poor thing will be paying for your impetuous nature.

lottiepony

Visit site
So very sad for the horse,

For anyone else considering taking on a project, three questions to ask yourself
1) am I prepared to shoot it if it’s a complete dud?
2) am I prepared to pay for the horse to go to a professional if it’s too much for me?
3) am I prepared to fund unexpected Vet investigations
4) am I prepared to invest significantly more time that initially planned

If the answer to all those is ‘no’ buy a rocking horse

I would say the above applies to buying any horse - project or not!!

Lintel

Visit site
Thanks all for advice whether it be hard to listen to or not. Your all right I've taken things far to quickly for my own benefit- doing just as others have done.
Becoming the person I despise and thinking too much of targets :(

His local ad will remain up on the off chance the someone wants a little coblet companion to which he would be ideal for.

But for now we will go back to basics on the ground!
Apologies for this thread.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Fair play to you OP for listening - that can't have been easy to do. All is not lost yet - if he's a coblet he may also be an excellent driver if he never takes to ridden life. It just sounds like he needs more time than many.

Lintel

Visit site
Fair play to you OP for listening - that can't have been easy to do. All is not lost yet - if he's a coblet he may also be an excellent driver if he never takes to ridden life. It just sounds like he needs more time than many.

Thank you, sometimes in life we just have to make the time!

Clodagh

Visit site
I'm baffled about why you've even bought this pony if you don't have the time, patience or funds for a project??

Hopefully someone will step up and take the responsibility nobody has bothered to so far for him.

This. I know OP is now accepting she has done wrong but I had no idea he was unbroken, I thought you were bringing him on. So, you bought him in July to back and sell at a profit before winter? And in Scotland that proably gives you until October at best. Cloud cuckoo land?

twiggy2

Visit site
This. I know OP is now accepting she has done wrong but I had no idea he was unbroken, I thought you were bringing him on. So, you bought him in July to back and sell at a profit before winter? And in Scotland that proably gives you until October at best. Cloud cuckoo land?

Are you trying to say something about the weather up here? 😂
I have all that to look forward too.

Visit site
Bloody hell. Poor pony. Six is so young.
Though four weeks is NO time whatsoever to back anything, you do realise that?
Can't remember off the top of my head how long it was with Diva (also backed at six, though by an inept, bumbling idiot of a sixteen year old, which undoubtedly delayed her progress somewhat...!) but it was minimum five months. And that's for a sane, sensible, well handled, well treated horse that's only had three homes in its entire life.

And you're surprised the cob hasn't made more progress in only four weeks?

Sorry, but....really?

If he were mine I'd accept he won't be ridden any time in the future and focus on handling him and showing him that not all humans are ******** - effectively retire him. It will only do more harm to pass him on again. How come you had the time, funds and patience four weeks ago but not now?

And yes, I come across as a bitch here, because it frankly really upsets me to see horses treated like this.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I'm uncomfortable with some of the posts on this thread. OP was lied to about the pony's past. She may only have experience of unbroken youngsters and not previously damaged ponies. She's been brave enough to admit she's out of her depth and asked for help. I get the need to point out the mistake so no one else makes it....but for 4 pages?

OP - Well done for coming back and replying and listening. I wish you all the best. Is WHW an option? I know they have loads needing homes and adding to their burdon isn't an easy option but it might be worth a call.

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
I'm uncomfortable with some of the posts on this thread. OP was lied to about the pony's past. She may only have experience of unbroken youngsters and not previously damaged ponies. She's been brave enough to admit she's out of her depth and asked for help. I get the need to point out the mistake so no one else makes it....but for 4 pages?

OP - Well done for coming back and replying and listening. I wish you all the best. Is WHW an option? I know they have loads needing homes and adding to their burdon isn't an easy option but it might be worth a call.

Well said, I was thinking the same. Very unpleasant reading :(

Hope you figure things out Lintel

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Thanks all for advice whether it be hard to listen to or not. Your all right I've taken things far to quickly for my own benefit- doing just as others have done.

His local ad will remain up on the off chance the someone wants a little coblet companion to which he would be ideal for.

What a great response. Good on you.

And good luck.

paddi22

Visit site
So very sad for the horse,

For anyone else considering taking on a project, three questions to ask yourself
1) am I prepared to shoot it if it’s a complete dud?
2) am I prepared to pay for the horse to go to a professional if it’s too much for me?
3) am I prepared to fund unexpected Vet investigations
4) am I prepared to invest significantly more time that initially planned

If the answer to all those is ‘no’ buy a rocking horse

Truest thing ever!
4 weeks is nothing. I get rescues in and i usually give them a couple of months at grass to unwind, and just feed and pat them. You can tell the stage when they start to trust you and give you the benefit of the doubt about stuff - and thats when you can expand the comfort zone. Four weeks with a horse thats been in seven homes is no time at all, no wonder it is completely overloaded. I had one that took me a month to sit a saddle on. She didn't completely over react but she was unsure, and i know for a fact if i'd pushed it she'd have had a bad reaction. She is perfect now to ride, but she took a lot of extra time at the starting phase.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site

If the pony is a easily panicked sort like this please no! It is far too easy to die.

littlen

Visit site
It’s taken me over a year to fully back my tricky 5yo. I think if I had tried to rush it in 4 weeks I would have been dead!

conniegirl

Visit site
4 weeks? Good god thats rushing it even for a totally unspoilt horse.

My last youngster was unbroken and very uncomplicated, took everything in his stride type, even he took 8 weeks to get to sitting on him stage. As lovely and sensible as he is I think 4 weeks would have blown his brain.

The previous youngster was one that had been mis-sold to me as i bought him as unbroken and easy but someone had obviously tried and messed it up badly. It took 3 years to finally get him undersaddle

I strongly suggest that once you have dealt with this poor yoingster you do NOT get another youngster of any type. By rushing even the good well behaved ones you stand a very good chance of ruining them too.

Last edited:

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site

It takes a lot to read the comments that have been posted on this thread and suck it up and realise that you have done wrong, especially when it is such an emotive subject - so props to you for that. Do I agree with the way you have approached working with this pony? No. However, I do know what it's like to have an impulsive nature, and I also know what it's therefore like to have a day where it all feels like it's going wrong, so you make a knee jerk reaction, and only afterwards sit down and think about it rationally.

I wish you luck with this pony OP. And if you have no luck, there are fates worse than death, so I would implore you to PTS. What I would do would be to find him a little herd somewhere (there are always people on my area advertising field space for youngsters) which should be relatively low-cost, leave him be and come back refreshed for both of you in April 2019-ish.

Keep us updated. :)

Pinkvboots

Visit site

I really commend you for that post it takes a lot to hold your hands up and admit you have made a mistake, can you not keep him through the winter if he lives out? I would be inclined to let him chill over the winter by all means do the handling and some ground work, then start him under saddle again in the spring I am sure you will have a totally different pony.