Adult dogs and toys......

Amye

Visit site
Teds is a one dog but he spends a lot of time with my parents two whippets. So three dogs in their house quite a bit. They have a big box of toys and have access all the time to play. Never had any issues with guarding of toys.

The older whippet doesn't play so much anymore, but she does like it when we bring a new toy in. So if a new toy is bought, then they all get one. Teds and the younger whippet play together with their toys all the time, they play tug of war over toys but it's all in play, never any aggression. One of them will eventually 'win' and will potter off with the toy and the other will just go get another toy. They are quite laid back characters so perhaps that helps! I don't think any of them think of toys as high value, they just like to play with something, so are quite happy to swap and change between toys, so we just make sure there's enough to go around.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Pro tip - don't buy a milk liner as a chewy toy and leave it lying around. :D

They are a bit suspect aren't they ! :) Mine never have free access to toys, the shepherds have a ball on a rope which the carry round while I am poo picking field, otherwise they would help with the poo picking. Pickle loves squeaky toys but he can remove the squeak in seconds then starts shredding the toy and eating stuffing so can't really have them. He has tuggy toys for training .

QuobAsti

Visit site
1 working cocker, 2 english springer spaniels (soon to be 4) - all gundogs that work
No toys as such, definitely nothing that makes a noise, they only have nylabones, antler or buffalo.

3Beasties

Visit site
Mine have toys but not free acess to them. My WCS would never sleep if they had things to play with.

Generally all they have is kongs/treats balls just to keep them busy for a little while each night.

MissTyc

Visit site
Mine have toys for play time but not lying around. Low value toys are not a problem; I make sure there's enough for everyone and nothing to argue over. High value toys (balls!) are used under strict supervision and as part of playing with humans not with other dogs. If I left a ball lying around, there would definitely be grumbling, or worse.

yhanni

Visit site
English Bull Terrier and Rottie. All the toys apparently belong to the EBT and poor Billy is not allowed to even look at them! She has to be shut away before we can play with him.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Mine are allowed toys in the house so long as they don’t squeak or make any noise. They’re both working retrievers so I need them to have soft mouths. They mostly carry their toys around like a child would, but the pup has potential to start chewing things so I tend to have “play times” where they are allowed their toys, I will take them off of them when I can’t keep an eye on them- I’m also worried that the pup will learn to take game from another dog if I allow her to take her mums toy. They really do enjoy just carrying their toys though.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Zak LOVES finding the squeak and destroying it! He pulls out all the stuffing but thank god doesn’t eat it.

Dee too!!! I feel like I've deprived her if I give her a toy without a squeak to find. The quack in the duck toy baffles her though... Mr duck is still mostly intact 6 months in :D

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I bought my friend's dog the space hopper toy. Friend put it in a cupboards after 30 minutes and gave me the silent treatment for some time :p
It is a form of mental torture....

C1airey

Visit site
I bought my friend's dog the space hopper toy. Friend put it in a cupboards after 30 minutes and gave me the silent treatment for some time :p
It is a form of mental torture....

Someone bought Erik a space hopper squeaky toy for Christmas. I think my ears had just about stopped bleeding by NYE.

rara007

Visit site
We have a lab who;s not fussed about toys, a spaniel who quite likes carrying them about and a terrierX who spends all day putting them in and out of the toy box and plays with them with himself like a cat. Very occasional terrier vs spaniel grumble but there's a power thing going on between those 2 anyway! We put them away if we dont want them all out and since the spaniel anything soft becomes 2D pretty sharp so we don't really replace those!

Moobli

Visit site
The working dogs don't have toys - unless sheep are considered as such ;) And the house dogs only have balls they play with when with me but I could leave all manner of toys around and they wouldn't bother with them unless I am on the other end.