Adult on native ponies

peanutsmumma

Visit site
Yey...managed to do it. Thanks @southerncomfort ?

Here is my boy....5 year old new forest. I've had him since he was 7mths old and broke him in myself.
He is absolutely amazing....we have the most amazing bond ♥️

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220708-121444~2_copy_432x527.png
    Screenshot_20220708-121444~2_copy_432x527.png
    387.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20220708-121653_copy_431x473.png
    Screenshot_20220708-121653_copy_431x473.png
    438.4 KB · Views: 52

Wishfilly

Visit site
I will had altthough this will be my first horse I’m not a novice, I’ve loaned, shared, brought on youngsters and “problem”horses, and working in 2 riding schools Got to ride a lot of different types, I won’t say I’m the best rider but I can ride to a decent standard.

If I was a novice I probably wouldn’t be looking at some of the more firey natives like highlands or welshies!

I was in a similar position when I bought my first- I think it is still different when you are the "owner" and responsible for everything with no back up. From my experience, you don't want something that is at the limit of your ability in terms of handling or riding- for me, there's so much to think about mentally, I wouldn't want something that's challenging in other ways. And yes, I have full loaned before, albiet as a teen with a level of parental back up.

That said, not all welshs or even welsh Ds are sharp and nuts- they have that sort of reputation, but I have met some really lovely ones too, who were forwards and fun but in no way nuts. I do think *maybe* they are the sort of breed that needs consistent work rather than pick up/put down etc. But equally, I think the same about arabs. They get excited, but they are generally quite brave, which makes them safe!

Anyway, in my opinion, it's much better to look for a horse you like, within parameters you decide on, than set your heart on a particular breed! Mine is a cobx? no recorded breeding, but he does everything I want and is, in most ways, an excellent "first horse".

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I was in a similar position when I bought my first- I think it is still different when you are the "owner" and responsible for everything with no back up. From my experience, you don't want something that is at the limit of your ability in terms of handling or riding- for me, there's so much to think about mentally, I wouldn't want something that's challenging in other ways. And yes, I have full loaned before, albiet as a teen with a level of parental back up.

That said, not all welshs or even welsh Ds are sharp and nuts- they have that sort of reputation, but I have met some really lovely ones too, who were forwards and fun but in no way nuts. I do think *maybe* they are the sort of breed that needs consistent work rather than pick up/put down etc. But equally, I think the same about arabs. They get excited, but they are generally quite brave, which makes them safe!

Anyway, in my opinion, it's much better to look for a horse you like, within parameters you decide on, than set your heart on a particular breed! Mine is a cobx? no recorded breeding, but he does everything I want and is, in most ways, an excellent "first horse".

I agree with you, I had owned several horses and have them at home so handling them is purely down to me but having had two PB welsh D's i decided to buy a full sect D youngster and completely over horsed myself. I still have him 15 years on but haven't ridden for 6 years because he just proved too much for me. So doesn't matter how experienced you are you still need an animal that is within your capabilities and I can honestly say I would never buy a full Sect D again or a gelding!:p

Cob Life

Visit site

The cob I share definitely needs consistent work, 5/6 days a week in the winter and similar in the summer, and it needs to be proper work or he’s a loon.

my parapmeters were so wide I kind of needed to narrow it down a little, my top priority is a nice personality as that is not something that can be taught Other than that its like 13.3 to 16hh, 4 to 12 years mare or gelding with the potential to do dressage and showing at low levels.

I have 2 fantasic instructors, both will get on and school horses should I run into any trouble

I generally have quite a good natural feel for what I can handle, blue was tricking to ride and tried to buck Me off when I first rode him but I kept going back for more, my instructors horse hasn’t put a foot wrong but I know he is not the sort I could have at home and manage on my own.

dunthing

Visit site
I love most M&M ponies but sorry to those fell lovers they would be bottom of my list. Only met a few but have not been particularly genuine and all have choppy action which I find very uncomfortable. To quote my current instructor who had never sat on a highland "they are like riding on a cloud" so smooth and cover the ground. I also love all 4 Welsh sections. Don't know much about new forest ponies but another breed I found temperament to not gel was connies loved mine to bits but boy what a diva she was
I have to agree with you about Highlands. I have had a couple of them and both have been superb. My first was a yearling and a sweet gentle boy. Second was oversize at 15.1, my horse of a lifetime. Huge, gentle, funny, go anywhere boy with manners. He had a huge, handstand buck which I laughed at and encouraged him I believe. Nobody else rode him so it didn't really matter, I enjoyed it.

Wishfilly

Visit site
The cob I share definitely needs consistent work, 5/6 days a week in the winter and similar in the summer, and it needs to be proper work or he’s a loon.

my parapmeters were so wide I kind of needed to narrow it down a little, my top priority is a nice personality as that is not something that can be taught Other than that its like 13.3 to 16hh, 4 to 12 years mare or gelding with the potential to do dressage and showing at low levels.

I have 2 fantasic instructors, both will get on and school horses should I run into any trouble

I generally have quite a good natural feel for what I can handle, blue was tricking to ride and tried to buck Me off when I first rode him but I kept going back for more, my instructors horse hasn’t put a foot wrong but I know he is not the sort I could have at home and manage on my own.

Honestly, I think wide parameters are better, unless you want to travel a long way (makes vetting and second viewings very difficult) or have an extremely high budget, or you want to spend months waiting for the exact horse come up, and then get super disappointed when you miss out on them.

When I first started looking, I was pretty convinced I wanted a Connie, or a cross at a push (and they are a breed I'd still love to own). But, of course, they are a very popular breed, so harder to find down here, and every one I viewed had problems. So I started viewing everything within my height, age and price range, and there were a lot of nice ponies out there, and found one I really clicked with, rather than tying myself to a specific breed.

Honestly, I think you'll have a much easier time of it if you don't tie yourself to want something specific!

Cob Life

Visit site
I found my dream horse, unfortunately he is not nor will he ever be for sale.

Hes a real been there done that type, he won’t give you anything if you don’t work for it but he’s safe as houses

Cob Life

Visit site
What are your specs? You probably said earlier but I’d have to scroll through a lot of posts.

13.3 to 16.2 hh
4 to 12 years old
Im happy to take on a youngster if they have the right personality but if they are bigger I’d prefer a bit of a been there done that
With the ability to do low level showing and dressage and pop a very small jump
preferably a good doer due to the type of horses/ponies it will live with

basically something a bit standard, nothing too flashy that I can have a bit of fun with

Caol Ila

Visit site
13.3 to 16.2 hh
4 to 12 years old
Im happy to take on a youngster if they have the right personality but if they are bigger I’d prefer a bit of a been there done that
With the ability to do low level showing and dressage and pop a very small jump
preferably a good doer due to the type of horses/ponies it will live with

basically something a bit standard, nothing too flashy that I can have a bit of fun with

Is Scotland too far away for you?

Fin's half-brother (probably) is on the market. He was captured and gentled at the same time as Fin, 2018, and he'd worn a saddle and carried a rider when I saw them last summer, but hadn't been ridden away. His owner (Fin's ex-owner) tells me he is now doing well in his ridden work, and is currently being ridden by a 14-year old. He's a 13.3 Highland-type, built like a brick sh*thouse. Definitely a good doer. Tough as nails. He spent a few months at a pro yard earlier this year. I think she's advertising him by word-of-mouth, but if you're interested, I can get more information.

They can jump (or climb over stone walls, lol). I don't know if they are any good for showing because they are totally unregisterable with HPS.

Cob Life

Visit site
Is Scotland too far away for you?

Fin's half-brother (probably) is on the market. He was captured and gentled at the same time as Fin, 2018, and he'd worn a saddle and carried a rider when I saw them last summer, but hadn't been ridden away. His owner (Fin's ex-owner) tells me he is now doing well in his ridden work, and is currently being ridden by a 14-year old. He's a 13.3 Highland-type, built like a brick sh*thouse. Definitely a good doer. Tough as nails. He spent a few months at a pro yard earlier this year. I think she's advertising him by word-of-mouth, but if you're interested, I can get more information.

They can jump (or climb over stone walls, lol). I don't know if they are any good for showing because they are totally unregisterable with HPS.
For the right horse Scotland isn’t too far however I won’t be looking to buy until winter when my current loans end

Caol Ila

Visit site
For the right horse Scotland isn’t too far however I won’t be looking to buy until winter when my current loans end

She's never in any hurry to sell anything, so it might be worth looking into. If he's anything like my Dallas pony, he'll be a cracking wee guy.