Adults buying ponies - socially acceptable?

golddustsara

Visit site
After retiring my warmblood to his old home last weekend, I'm slowly considering my horsey options for the future (as its pretty dull in the evenings without in-the-dark poo picking). Until him, I'd always ridden ponies and loaned a connie until I bought my lad, despite being 5ft 8 but lightweight-ish!

I'm working long hours these days and want something easy to keep, fun, cuddly and pony-minded. Question is are buyers going to laugh at me for wanting to buy a 14.2hh plus? Will they take one look at me and tell me to go and find a horse?

I rode a full up NF earlier to see how I felt after riding something bigger for the last year and to be honest I felt fine, looked a tiny bit tall but I don't want to compete, just hack and pop some logs.

Is there something wrong with me - I'm nearly 26 and I still like ponies the most!

Walrus

Visit site
Nope it's totally fine. I'm 26, 5'8", 11 stone and I bought my first "horse" - a 13.1 (and a half!)hh Fell pony last February! :D

catkin

Visit site
The bigger native ponies have always been ridden by adults.

I've gone from a 17h TB to a 14.1 Sec D - and she rides as 'big' as the tall fella

jinglejoys

Visit site
Who the hell cares about being socially acceptable!?:D
MalagaatJames024-1.jpg

Dexter

Visit site
IMHO its more than acceptable. I'm 5ft5 and, erm, cough splutter, cobby, and I've just bought a 14.2hh connie cross. I actually paid my deposit 3 months ago as she had a foal at foot, and her owner laughed when I told her I was going on a diet in order to ride her. Thankfully I've managed to loose weight, although theres more to go! but I am so, so, sooo excited about her arriving at the end of the month! She is to be my 'fun' horse. Something thats easy to keep and enjoyable to ride. I cannot wait to be able to just hop on and go out hacking on a weekend knowing its no issue if the last time I rode was last Sunday :D I'm also really looking forward to not having to heft rugs and saddles over my head! lol

3Beasties

Visit site
Ponies are the best :D

I am 6'1" and ride a 14.2hh a few times a week, am hoping to hunt him this season! I look ridiculous but he's happy to carry me, I'm happy to ride him and most importantly we both have fun together!

PS - My 'Normal' horse is a 16.2hh TB!

Archie07

Visit site
Go for it! I'm 24 and have a New Forest pony. I've pretty much always had ponies and I honestly would pick a pony over a horse, I just prefer them, they are completely different to horses IMO. Who cares what people think, I hear so many people call their horses 'ponies' I think there are some secretly envious 'horse' owners out there!

shoo

Visit site
I'm 5'6 and have a 14.1hh and 12.2hh, Ponies are great :) :)
(but just in case she reads this.....I have a 16hh aswell! and yes shes great aswell:)

Enfys

Visit site
Well, I don't have any problem at all selling what are termed 'large' ponies (over 13.2h) to adults. As Jingle says, "who cares about being socially acceptable?" What size, shape or variety anyone rides is entirely their own business as far as I am concerned, and good luck to them :D

My own riding horse (horse because she is an arabian) just squeaks in at 14h, I am 5'2" with boots on, and I can't get on anything over 14.2h from the ground.

missyme10

Visit site
Ponies are so much fun and the native ones are so easy to take care of and aren't crazy if you haven't ridden for a week.

I dont do over 14.2hh as a general rule, although my boy is still growing and is nearly 14.3hh and will finish at 15hh probably, I really wouldn't want to ride anything bigger and actually prefer 14-14.2hh.

There are loads and loads of adults with ponies, and all have one thing in common, they all have an absolute blast on their ponies and most wouldn't swap them for a horse lol

Go for it, you'll never look back :D:D:D:D x

Tinker_Belle

Visit site
I am 5ft with a 14.2hh NF mare :D. I'm 25 and don't look out of place on her. It's ponies all the way for me as they are so much fun and have so much character :D.

Having said that, she rides like a horse so it's the best of both worlds. Being so short, the bonus of it is I have not outgrown the pony I was bought as a 12th birthday present :p :D.

13 years down the line and I still would not change her :D. Despite her antics at times :rolleyes: :D.

marmalade76

Visit site
I'm 33 and bought myself a 14.3 connie cross a few months back. He is great fun - lively but not silly or strong, lives on fresh air, is scopey, good looking, has lovely manners and has been there and done everything. I wonder why I ever bothered with horses at all!

Janette

Visit site
I have a big pony and she's fab (14.2 coloured native).
The size of her ribs takes up my leg length (I'm 5'8"), She is cheap to run (lives on fresh air), close to the ground to easy for tack, rugs and climbing on and off.... and she's FUN.

On our yard, there are only 2 horses, the rest are ponies - all ridden by adults!

NeilM

Visit site
I'm male, 51, 6'1" tall weight 12.5 stone and ride a 14.2hh New Forest gelding.

No one has ever told me I can't ride him or look wrong on him.

Mind, that could be because I male, 51, 6'1" tall........:D

eahotson

Visit site
I am 5ft1 and cobby too.I have a 14.2 Welsh look fine on him, do some low level competing and love him.A 17 year old who is taller than me, several inches so, but light in weight, is going to take him hunter trialling soon I hope as a treat as he loves jumping and I don't.

tibby

Visit site
I have a 16 hand 10 year old gelding, my son is now riding him , I have had enough of being bounced around when he is having a moment, I am now riding my sons 14 hand mini cob that we have on loan from the ILPH, I am 5ft 3in not a light weight and nearly 50, after 4 years I am now enjoying my riding again, we are not allowed to jump but we can have a go at dressage and love our hacks. I would say go and get a pony.

LauraWheeler

Visit site
Question is are buyers going to laugh at me for wanting to buy a 14.2hh plus? Will they take one look at me and tell me to go and find a horse?

Is there something wrong with me - I'm nearly 26 and I still like ponies the most!

I'm 27 and own two ponies. Both Foresters. Merryn is 14.1hh. Herbie my main pony is only 12.2hh. I don't care what people think I love ponies they are the best.

Herbie my no1 boy
P5230655.jpg

And of course before I had Herbie I had the best pony in the whole world Lucy.
img062.jpg

She was 13.2hh :D:D:D and we did everything together. Hunting, dressage, jumping, showing and even endurance rides of upto and inclu 80km. :D :D :D
If you want to get a pony get one who cares what other people think.
Ponies are the best :D:D:D:D

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
I was working at a trekking centre , and found I actually preferred the ponies to the bigger horses any day - especially the fells and dales. I now have a half dale/half coloured gypsycob and couldn't be happier. he's 14.2hh, I'm 5ft 6".

I think the thing to do is to go to a riding school and try out some different sizes and types if you can, get a feel for them.

I am so proud of my little man, he's a very quick learner, is kind, gentle, forward going and last night he fell asleep in the stable with his chin on my head ( I was sitting on a chair :p ).

Biased ? Me ? never !!! sm x

Bug2007

Visit site
Native Pony show classes.....Ponies ridden mainly by..........ADULTS :D

Go for it, ponies are great fun. Sod those people who think as soon as you get tall you should have a horse.

I'm really lucky I have a 16.1hh TB to event but i am small enough and light enough to have a 12.2hh on sales livery with me and we can hack, jump and school.

Bug2007

Visit site
I'm male, 51, 6'1" tall weight 12.5 stone and ride a 14.2hh New Forest gelding.

No one has ever told me I can't ride him or look wrong on him.

Mind, that could be because I male, 51, 6'1" tall........:D

LMFAO.

I wouldn't say anything!!!! But i'm sure you look fine, as long as rider and pony are happy then who cares. :D

kizzywiz

Visit site
I am 44, 5'1 & have always had ponies, Meg who I sadly lost in June was a 13hh Welsh sec C, we competed to medium level dressage, show jumped evented & hunted. Kizzy, now retired is 13.3hh, we evented, dressaged to elementary level & jumped senior BSJA. I now have Fleur, 5 year old 14.2hh ISH, she's fab & being produced to show jump, she's jumpig senior BS British Novice with no problems. Go for it I say!!