Adverts for loan horses needing work

Muddywellies

Visit site
I'm seeing FB flooded with adverts from people with horses needing work, and asking for a financial contribution. Am I missing something here ?
Advert I've just seen which has prompted my post reads "looking for someone to help bring my horse back into work. He's strong and needs a confident rider to improve schooling- absolutely no novices- contribution required".
My trainer schools my horse sometimes and I am charged accordingly. Who on earth would someone PAY to bring on someone else's difficult horse. I'm baffled.

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
I'm seeing FB flooded with adverts from people with horses needing work, and asking for a financial contribution. Am I missing something here ?
Advert I've just seen which has prompted my post reads "looking for someone to help bring my horse back into work. He's strong and needs a confident rider to improve schooling- absolutely no novices- contribution required".
My trainer schools my horse sometimes and I am charged accordingly. Who on earth would PAY to bring on someone else's difficult horse. I'm baffled.

I’m baffled too.

Anyone expecting a non-straightforward horse ridden by and experienced jockey should be grateful to get it done for free, let alone getting cash out of it!!

Polos Mum

Visit site
I think the people advertising are either deluded or desperate or a little of both.

I think similar for youngsters - "I've a lovely 2 year old that you can share - grooming and loving (p.s. also pay livery and muck out!) "

Or " Wonderful horse just ready to be broken"

Quality breaking livery is easily £180-250 a week - why would someone who knew what they were doing pay you to break your horse for you!

The ads are becoming more common but whether any of them ever end up in success stories is another different question.

Annagain

Visit site
I've had sharers for horse over the years and the arrangements have differed for each one as my and their circumstances dictated.

My first one paid £60 a month to have Arch three days a week, including a Saturday. I was very skint, working full time and doing a post grad course at the time so needed the time and the money. She only wanted to hack, which he was fabulous at so she wasn't teaching him anything I couldn't. I think she had a bargain at about £5 a ride plus a bit of mucking out (he's very easy to muck out) She stayed with us 5 years until she moved away and had babies so it worked for her too.

The second was over here from NZ for a couple of years and was missing horses. She was a qualified instructor so 'paid' in lessons for me. It worked brilliantly for both of us. I had more money and time having completed my postgrad and got promotion but liked the company to ride out with and the lessons were fab.

My current sharer has never paid anything, again all she wanted was to hack and he's rock solid at that so I could have charged but I didn't need the money and what she could provide in terms of being there in the week (she works part time) for things like the vet or farrier was more valuable to me. Even though Arch has been retired 2 years she still does him twice a week and loves him like her own. I had hoped she'd be able to ride Charlie too but I think he's a bit much for her at the moment.

As it happens someone new came to try Charlie on Saturday. I think he needs a bit more work than I can give him and he needs a very confident rider to help him get over a couple of things I've struggled with. I was considering paying someone but this person is new to the area, is missing horses and advertised that she was happy to offer free schooling so I contacted her. She was excellent with him and is coming back this weekend. She has time in the week but it's inconsistent as when she works, she works away but she can be home for fairly long periods so can't commit to a horse of her own so I think it will suit us both. I wouldn't charge her anything as she's offering something I can't do at the moment. I've also found my long term sharer a pony to ride at the yard next door so she can hack out with us all now too. Hopefully everyone's going to benefit.

Last edited:

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
some have said on here before, that not asking for £ means you get inundated with tyre kickers and dreamers, or people who won't commit on a regular basis.

No idea, i had a sharer once for a really nice horse and asked for no contributions except time, though it was fairly nightmarish and i wouldn't do it on the owner-side again.

I have had half an eye out as would like some riding at the mo but the prices for fairly ordinary looking shares round here are more than my livery that I'm already shelling out, so that's a hard NOPE. Dreamers, in the other direction!

Andrew657

Visit site
As someone who currently is missing having a horse (and currently unable to afford my own) and looking at shares - I wouldn't be adverse to considering one of these horses and making a relatively small contribution for this.

I know I'm not a good enough rider to charge for my services - but do know that I can ride consistently and (key word slowly) help to improve a horse - and would enjoy the journey. Mind you - it's me that decides what I can cope with - and am sure that for many of the experienced people here they would describe these horses as straight forward - although a novice would probably have a different perspective

Leandy

Visit site
They are a complete **** take. What happened to paying for and receiving a professional service or just doing it yourself? If you can't afford to do something, don't do it. Don't expect strangers to bail you out. I saw one recently for a young pony for loan for a year so a more experienced child can bring it on and then they wanted it back for their current child who is struggling with the unschooled pony. I also saw one recently asking for a person who wanted to spend time with horses on Saturdays and Sundays to come and "hang out with them" in exchange for doing stable duties on those days. Right so you need a free lance worker but they should do it for the love of it and not get paid????? It was oddly worded, I'm not sure the person even got to ride!

Polos Mum

Visit site
some have said on here before, that not asking for £ means you get inundated with tyre kickers and dreamers, or people who won't commit on a regular basis.

That was certainly my experience when I offered a share in my well mannered, well schooled, mid teens all round nice horse.

I think the current run of adverts for a horse with issues (and I'm presuming most ads understate the problem/ level of training) or unbroken horses or even youngsters that are years off starting are even more mad. Riding these types for free would be generous of someone who knew what they were doing.

I can't think of any benefit of paying to share a 2 y/o when all you can do is the odd groom and chores. If people want to muck out for free (or even pay for the priviledge) then I'd imagine charities or the RDA or someone would be delighted to hand them a wheelbarrow and point them at mucky stables.

I wonder if it's the outcome of horses increasing in price over the last 2 years that means more people have taken on horses that aren't suitable for them and are trying to find a resolution that won't cost (as good professional help does).
The nice solid, safe, sensible, sound, nice height and age, have a go any most low level riding club types are now comfortably 5 figures and that is out of the reach of many people.
So the eternal triangle of Cheap / Broke / Sound gives (as it has to) and if they are cheap and sound they aren't broken !

pistolpete

Visit site
I’m currently sharing one day a week £15 but it suits me fine. Horse and owner are lovely and I get my riding fix. Alternative at s riding school would cost three times as much.

Muddywellies

Visit site
I’m currently sharing one day a week £15 but it suits me fine. Horse and owner are lovely and I get my riding fix. Alternative at s riding school would cost three times as much.
Some shares work perfectly. As a youngster I did this myself. I'm just amazed at all the adverts asking people to come and sort out their difficult horses, and to pay for the privilege ?

ihatework

Visit site

My issue isn’t with loaning/sharing well behaved trained horses for money, it’s expecting money for people with the expertise to sort out the problem the owner seemingly can’t do themselves

lme

Visit site
We loaned / shared one (the owner didn't ride him) for a couple of years who had been out of work for a long time and was big, and anxious but also very sweet. We paid half his costs. At the time it suited us and it was really satisfied getting him going nicely. Not sure I would do it again though. I get far too attached so will stick to horses I own.

Bernster

Visit site
Like everything there’s a range. People looking for training or problem solving on the cheap is a try on but even then there may be some folks who this would work for. I think charging a fee works when the sharer sees the benefit. I have had sharers in the past, and have one for Finn currently, but I only offer a share for the ‘easy’ ones.

Pinkvboots

Visit site

No idea, i had a sharer once for a really nice horse and asked for no contributions except time, though it was fairly nightmarish and i wouldn't do it on the owner-side again.

I have had half an eye out as would like some riding at the mo but the prices for fairly ordinary looking shares round here are more than my livery that I'm already shelling out, so that's a hard NOPE. Dreamers, in the other direction!

It's actually hard to find good experienced riders that want to share, I have one that has ridden Louis for years I don't want any money as it helps me out she is a good rider so it works out well, she gets a nice horse to school for free I get a day off ?

Shame your not near me you would be welcome to ride him as rider is pregnant at the moment, his no GP horse but he can do a nice Elementary test most of the time.

chaps89

Visit site
It's actually hard to find good experienced riders that want to share, I have one that has ridden Louis for years I don't want any money as it helps me out she is a good rider so it works out well, she gets a nice horse to school for free I get a day off ?

Shame your not near me you would be welcome to ride him as rider is pregnant at the moment, his no GP horse but he can do a nice Elementary test most of the time.
Whereabouts are you? I’m contemplating finding a new one to share and recall you’re not too far away possibly. I’m not as good as milliepops though ?

Last time I advertised to find a share I did have someone get in touch who wanted me to rehab her horse (starting from scratch 5 mins walking), oh and btw he was a bit full of it. Declined that one unsurprisingly!

maya2008

Visit site
I have seen quite a few asking for experienced riders to share newly backed horses (contribution and chores required)…

I'm Dun

Visit site
I have what I guess is a sharer for my old boy. She is brilliant. Loves poo picking which is alway a bonus, and is happy to get involved with most stuff. She likes to brush and faff with them all which is something I a very hit and miss with. In return she can hack him whenever she wants and one day a week she takes him for a lead rein hack with her son. The pony adores the kid and carries him like hes made of glass and its really sweet to see.

I charge her nothing. I wouldnt dream of it. Its a mutually beneficial arrangement.

The one before that was on my pony which is now sold, she was a very novicey 13yr old and was dropped off at the yard and left to it. I did charge her as I had to be there to supervise her every time. We both still benefitted, but in that instance I felt justified to charge as I was left with sole charge of her and 13yr olds arent that great at chores it would seem!

stangs

Visit site
Sharing 'quirky' horses seems to be quite successful here, as there's always a steady stream of experienced riders who've moved to the city and aren't catered for by riding schools.

That said, I've seen a few ads of share horses currently out of work (everything from sport horses and happy hackers), and I will never understand why a) any owner wants some random rider on their horse, especially if the horse is currently unavailable to be tried, and b) anyone experienced would want to take the risk of bringing on a strange horse, and pay for the opportunity.

oldie48

Visit site
When I was ill and unable to ride a friend rode Rose for me. She didn't make any financial contribution and I paid for lessons with a top trainer and any competition costs. She is a better rider than I am and I took the view that when I was able to ride again, I'd come back to an improved horse and I was happy to continue sharing her for as long as my friend wanted to compete her. Sadly Rose was injured before I was able to start riding again so I now share another friend's horse. I don't do any care as he is on her yard, I do tack up etc and my friend gives me lessons (usually twice a week) which I thoroughly enjoy and we hack out together. For me it's the perfect arrangement and he is a lovely schoolmaster. I won't share how much I pay a month but my contribution reflects how much it would cost me to have comparable time on well schooled horse at a RS and how much I value the arrangement. The fact that it helps my friend is totally immaterial. I think people expecting others to pay for the privilege of bringing on youngsters/bringing a horse back into work/ schooling on etc are being completely unreasonable

Billyandme

Visit site
Have seen so many adverts on FB and frankly it makes me cringe. I think alot of it stems back to the original lockdown. People wh probably had never had the time or money to buy their own horses suddenly found themselves with lots of free time and extra dosh so thought they would fulfill their lifetime ambition and buy a pony. Now nearly 2 years on reality is beginning to bite, and hard. The daily grind through Winter, the never ending drain on money and time becomes a bone chilling reality. Horse/pony starts to play up due to being stabled more. Mucking out before an 8.30am start for work, then hurtling down to the yard to bring said horse/pony in and do eveing stavles. No daylight hours to ride. It all seemed so different at the beginning of the 1st lockdown.

Cutgrass

Visit site

Sorry if this is a silly question but what is a tyre kicker? I've never known what the expression means

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Whereabouts are you? I’m contemplating finding a new one to share and recall you’re not too far away possibly. I’m not as good as milliepops though ?

Last time I advertised to find a share I did have someone get in touch who wanted me to rehab her horse (starting from scratch 5 mins walking), oh and btw he was a bit full of it. Declined that one unsurprisingly!

I'm in St Albans I've got one in work at the moment the other one is on box rest hopefully he will be good to go in a few weeks.

Don't worry I won't ask you to rehab him ?

L&M

Visit site
We had one come up a few days ago on our local fb group - the advert was very short and uninformative, basically saying 'would anyone like to ride my pony'.

On further questioning said pony transpired to be a 4 yr old stallion that she couldn't cope with and looking for someone to school it for her......for free!

Unsuprisingly she has had no offers.....

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I know there are cheeky ads out there- but sometimes there are loaners who don't mind bringing something on.

I had a green horse on loan for a couple of years and was happy to put the work in. We also had a pony on loan that needed rehabbing and bringing back into work Daughter learned loads from doing this, and it was a real pleasure to see the end result. We have kept in touch with that pony in her subsequent homes and love seeing her progress. So sometimes it can be an arrangement that works out all round

That said, yes there are a lot of really cheeky ads about :)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think loans and shares have got conflated here. I wouldn't mind a loan that needs bringing on. Generally with a loan it's like your own horse for the duration of the loan period so the time and emotional investment is "worth it". a share is pretty different, I'd be less keen to have to bring on a share horse you only get access to for a couple of hours a week.

Winters100

Visit site
At the start of winter a fellow livery 'offered' me the opportunity to ride his 3 youngsters over winter, with the proviso that I would need to move them at least 5 times a week. Yes, what an offer, train them through all the cold months so that they are ready for him in spring I think he was genuinely surprised when I declined and recommended that he pay a pro.