Adverts selling stuff on FB.

Muddywellies

Visit site
Seems to be a recent thing. I'm seeing more and more adverts on FB selling horsey stuff where people just upload a hundred and one photos of what they are selling but no list. So you then have to enquire re size/price etc etc (occasionally the seller might photograph the size). And then the seller responds with "pm'd you". I'm baffled by this. Is it top secret?? Now am I just old fashioned, but if you're selling something youll upload good quality pics of said item along with a full description incl size and price. Surely it's easier for the seller to provide full info from the off rather than keeping it secret and having to PM people the same info over and over again.
Yes I'm bored - waiting for a train. Just an observation which baffles me.

Theocat

Visit site
It's laziness / lack of time. It's also an awareness that most horse people shopping on Facebook will be looking for total bargains; it's extremely demoralizing crafting a decent post and getting lots of "would you accept this very cheeky offer?" replies.

I am trying to muster the enthusiasm to shift a lot of stuff at the moment - all of it has lots of useful life yet and it's generally very good quality, but selling second hand is just depressing (especially because I am selling because I have very sadly given up ownership).

HazuraJane

Visit site
It's laziness / lack of time. It's also an awareness that most horse people shopping on Facebook will be looking for total bargains; it's extremely demoralizing crafting a decent post and getting lots of "would you accept this very cheeky offer?" replies.

I am trying to muster the enthusiasm to shift a lot of stuff at the moment - all of it has lots of useful life yet and it's generally very good quality, but selling second hand is just depressing (especially because I am selling because I have very sadly given up ownership).
Yes to this, and Theocat, sorry about the circumstances in which you currently find yourself giving up ownership.

Kaylum

Visit site
I always put a full description and price on including postage on anything I sell. I think people dont so they can negotiate the price and yes it is annoying.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
Drives me nuts & I won't even bother with those posts if I see them. I'm hoping to have a clear out the start of the new year & thought of listing it all properly with photos, price & condition only to be bombarded with stupidly low offers asking for free postage, fills me with dread! Think I'll instead go down the ebay or horsey car boot route.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I totally agree with you, but what I find much worse is photos of filthy saddle blankets or boots etc with the comment “ needs a good wash” I see this time and time again and just don’t get it. Anything I advertise is spotlessly clean.

Or will be cleaned/washed before sending. Well how about cleaning before photoing.

Firefly9410

Visit site
I always put price, size, condition etc, I do a list on the post and a comment against each picture and people still ask how much is it and what size.
This. And then you end up replying to multiple people on the same post and it gets complicated and easy to miss one. Having a pile of people to deal with via pm is easier.
Or will be cleaned/washed before sending. Well how about cleaning before photoing.
Because it is going in the bin if unsold so why waste time cleaning unless you have to. Rugs often cost more to clean than they will sell for too.

Leo Walker

Visit site

I've done this before. I'll be damned if I am washing something that ends up chucked or given away in the end. If someone does want to buy it, then I will always wash before I send it, but with no guarantee of a sale, sod that!

AFB

Visit site
Personally I ignore those ads too, if you want to sell something then make the effort. Same goes for washing the thing. What effort is it to chuck a saddle cloth in the washing machine??

(I'm taking rugs out of the equation here as I don't buy/sell those second hand)

criso

Visit site
Because it is going in the bin if unsold so why waste time cleaning unless you have to. Rugs often cost more to clean than they will sell for too.

But it's not just rugs but boots horse and human, saddle cloths, tack, lots of things that can either be wiped over or chucked in the washing machine. I've even spent time cleaning the outside of a bag travel boots came in They'd never been used but the outside of the plastic carrier they came in was dusty.

Lighter rugs like fleeces and coolers or fly rugs I put in the washing machine and lw turnouts add a bit of Nikwax to reproof.

I agree heavier turnouts will cost £15 to wash and reproof and unless it's a very desired expensive make it's not worth it but in reality I tend to get rugs cleaned before putting them away and it's when it hasn't been used for a while that I decide to sell. For example I recently lost my older horse so have too many rugs and will look at selling some off but they are all bagged up from professional cleaning from the end of last season.

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
Oh I’m so with you on the dirty gear for sale. It makes me crazy.

I love the search for quality second hand horse gear. Not all of us are looking for a bargain.

Selling on Facebook is challenging. Whilst I’ve had great success, the number of numpties is overwhelming at times. Lots of dreamers.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I wouldn't want a rug cleaned so would prefer to be able to tell them I don't want it doing!

Re. the not writing what things actually are I don't really see the point as they don't come up on searches then.

Muddywellies

Visit site
I wouldn't want a rug cleaned so would prefer to be able to tell them I don't want it doing!

Re. the not writing what things actually are I don't really see the point as they don't come up on searches then.

So that the buyer doesn't have to enquire. I see literally twenty photos of things for sale with not a single explanation as to size, price etc so if I am interested in a number of items I need to enquire several times. Then the buyer puts "PMd you" so no one else can see the details, so have to ask the same question. Its bonkers. You'll see "size and price please" followed by "pm'd you" over and over again. A seller can't upload a load of random photos with absolutely no details and actually expect to sell very much?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
umm I'm confused I was agreeing with you on that point? I see those photos too.

I am saying I don't see why sellers do it when many people shop using the search function on FB marketplace and they won't come up at all.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
If a seller hasn't bothered to even make a brief effort at cleaning up the dirty and scruffy item before taking a pic and posting that just tells me the item is from a place that abuses and neglects the upkeep of the said item so probably not something I would bother to even think of buying to be honest.

Why would I when most sellers at least show their items clean and well looked after so almost certainly worth the price they are asking - let the scruffy dirty old yokes throw their cast off stuff in the bin!

criso

Visit site
Just seen another of my pet hates. A photo of a handwritten list of items on paper. They clearly have access to some sort of electronic device to post on fb so why not type. I don't want to waste time squinting at someone's handwriting wondering if that's a 6 or a 0.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
did anyone see the stand downstairs at Olympia which was selling second hand saddles, I didn't look closely but they were all expensive brands I think.
They had some breastplates and girths too, which looked like they had just come off horses that had done a day's hunting. Grim!

Kaylum

Visit site
Some even put would benefit from a wash. Why not wash it and then sell it and the buyer can see what it will look like washed.

I especially see this with saddle pads and some stuff people sell is just cringe worthy.

Visit site
I deal with the majority of the rehoming of our horses and I now start all posts with: We are located in Central Scotland, 20mins North of Edinburgh.

The amount of people that ask where you are is unreal! It takes 2 seconds to look at the pages Bio or Google it! I don't mind if it is a local-ish person asking exactly where but it's the ones from the opposute end of the country that ask 30million questions then say sorry too far away... stop wasting my bloody time! I now seriously stalk people before I even respond to them! I also will not respond to comments on the post -I always put on to PM the page for more info as not all comments will be seen.

And then I get the inevitable ones - price. Thats it just one word - price. Often from a post referring yo multiple horses. Or Info. Just Info. Like what? What would you like to know that is not already in the add!?! Ask a question and I will answer! These people generally get the response - sorry all horses have found homes. If you are seriously interested show a proper interest not a - I wonder if I can get a cheap horse out of this!

People frustrate and annoy me at times! I honestly don't mind answering 30 million questions from genuinely interested people and if the horse isn't for them then so be it. We may have another another time that would suit so their name is kept on file.

PurBee

Visit site
Agreed muddywellies.
It drives me crazy in ireland.
Irish websites and private ads, even if they bother giving a full description there’s no indication of price. I cannot be bothered to constantly send mails to enquire of price for everything im interested in, i just buy elsewhere.

Those that i do mail rarely is there a reply, or if i do get a reply, im given a phone number and asked to ring them!

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
Agreed muddywellies.
It drives me crazy in ireland.
Irish websites and private ads, even if they bother giving a full description there’s no indication of price. I cannot be bothered to constantly send mails to enquire of price for everything im interested in, i just buy elsewhere.

Those that i do mail rarely is there a reply, or if i do get a reply, im given a phone number and asked to ring them!

I do that to purchasers as well. If it is a big item (trailer, horse, saddle) whilst there I always state my price and the key information, you are invited to call if you want more detail. Usually it’s only the serious buyers who will call.

There is the inevitable text with “is this still available” which I just ignore.

I also won’t have discussions with anyone under 18. I ask them to get a parent to call.

Firefly9410

Visit site
But it's not just rugs but boots horse and human, saddle cloths, tack, lots of things that can either be wiped over or chucked in the washing machine. I've even spent time cleaning the outside of a bag travel boots came in They'd never been used but the outside of the plastic carrier they came in was dusty.

Lighter rugs like fleeces and coolers or fly rugs I put in the washing machine and lw turnouts add a bit of Nikwax to reproof.

I agree heavier turnouts will cost £15 to wash and reproof and unless it's a very desired expensive make it's not worth it but in reality I tend to get rugs cleaned before putting them away and it's when it hasn't been used for a while that I decide to sell. For example I recently lost my older horse so have too many rugs and will look at selling some off but they are all bagged up from professional cleaning from the end of last season.

It is not possible to put horse things in the washing machine if you share with other people who do not want hair on their clothes or who dislike the idea of their clothes being washed with animal things or if you want to keep your own non horsey clothes and bedding and that free from hair. A lot of people are selling these things because buying a new one is the best option for them. Washing it means doing it by hand and the result not being all that clean. I like cleaning tack but some people hate it so they are just not going to bother doing it for an item that could end up in the bin. Most buyers are after bargains and only wanting to pay peanuts whether it is clean or not. The extra effort to clean things does not often result in extra money.

Muddywellies

Visit site
I deal with the majority of the rehoming of our horses and I now start all posts with: We are located in Central Scotland, 20mins North of Edinburgh.

The amount of people that ask where you are is unreal! It takes 2 seconds to look at the pages Bio or Google it! I don't mind if it is a local-ish person asking exactly where but it's the ones from the opposute end of the country that ask 30million questions then say sorry too far away... stop wasting my bloody time! I now seriously stalk people before I even respond to them! I also will not respond to comments on the post -I always put on to PM the page for more info as not all comments will be seen.

And then I get the inevitable ones - price. Thats it just one word - price. Often from a post referring yo multiple horses. Or Info. Just Info. Like what? What would you like to know that is not already in the add!?! Ask a question and I will answer! These people generally get the response - sorry all horses have found homes. If you are seriously interested show a proper interest not a - I wonder if I can get a cheap horse out of this!

People frustrate and annoy me at times! I honestly don't mind answering 30 million questions from genuinely interested people and if the horse isn't for them then so be it. We may have another another time that would suit so their name is kept on file.

Interesting you put that. I recently saw a local job advert for a groom, and the advert stated the location (a small village). One responder put, "Where's that". Now I hadn't heard of it either, but are people even too busy (lazy?) to Google these days? All the responder needed to do was Google the village name and our county (it was a local ad). Simple.
I wouldn't be calling that person for an interview unfortunately.

cundlegreen

Visit site
Seems to be a recent thing. I'm seeing more and more adverts on FB selling horsey stuff where people just upload a hundred and one photos of what they are selling but no list. So you then have to enquire re size/price etc etc (occasionally the seller might photograph the size). And then the seller responds with "pm'd you". I'm baffled by this. Is it top secret?? Now am I just old fashioned, but if you're selling something youll upload good quality pics of said item along with a full description incl size and price. Surely it's easier for the seller to provide full info from the off rather than keeping it secret and having to PM people the same info over and over again.
Yes I'm bored - waiting for a train. Just an observation which baffles me.
Or else the item is sold, and they haven't put that on the ad...