Advice for hunting newbies

Visit site
Hi all, It’s only my second time out so I’m quite new to this all, what weather will they cancel a hound exercise in ? It’s meant to be torrential on Sunday so just wondering x

TheGreyOne

New User
Visit site
I have scoured many articles for the answer to this silly question, however so many simply say 'ratcatcher hunting- tweed, navy in full season' but what jacket should I be wearing for a meet next week?
I was planning to wear tweed until looking at their recent meet photos and noticing everyone is wearing black/navy. However I don't want to turn up in navy and be surrounded by tweed!

Is this also the time of year that horses should be plaited? We were hogged and tail pulled for our first hunt many years ago so it wasn't a concern back then.

Clodagh

Visit site
Do you know if they’ve had their opening meet?
What time of day is the meet? Generally speaking if it is 11am it will be navy or black.
However ratcatcher is fine all year in reality.
If you are in navy or black then horse plaited. Unless it’s a Monday if you are super traditional!

TheGreyOne

New User
Visit site
Do you know if they’ve had their opening meet?
What time of day is the meet? Generally speaking if it is 11am it will be navy or black.
However ratcatcher is fine all year in reality.
If you are in navy or black then horse plaited. Unless it’s a Monday if you are super traditional!

Thanks for the reply. I'm not actually sure on the specifics as of yet, only that they are setting off nextdoor and are welcoming us to join in. I suppose I could contact their secretary for a definite answer. Thank you!

Clodagh

Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I'm not actually sure on the specifics as of yet, only that they are setting off nextdoor and are welcoming us to join in. I suppose I could contact their secretary for a definite answer. Thank you!
That’s the best bet, best to ask and then you can stop worrying! Enjoy your day,

TGM

Visit site
I have scoured many articles for the answer to this silly question, however so many simply say 'ratcatcher hunting- tweed, navy in full season' but what jacket should I be wearing for a meet next week?
I was planning to wear tweed until looking at their recent meet photos and noticing everyone is wearing black/navy. However I don't want to turn up in navy and be surrounded by tweed!

Is this also the time of year that horses should be plaited? We were hogged and tail pulled for our first hunt many years ago so it wasn't a concern back then.
Difficult to say without knowing the hunt, but generally it is black/navy coats after the opening meet which is normally late October. Whether to plait or not depends on the hunt, we hunt with the Coakham Bloodhounds and plaiting is only required for the Opening Meet and Lawn Meets.