Advice needed about livery yard owner

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Hi there

Please can someone advise me as to what to do, the story goes:

I have kept my horse at a livery yard for 2 months, the yard isn't run very well and they don't really know what they are doing. I owe a months livery £482 which I am going to pay this Friday, I told the YO that I decided to move my horse next Sat and that I was giving her a weeks notice, she now won't let me on the yard or any of my friends to check that MY horse is ok until I pay the money and remove her. I do think this is unreasonable as all my things are there and she has insisted that she will be on full livery this week until I pick her up on Sat but she is not allowing anyone I know access to MY HORSE!! I am really worried and other than ramming the gates late at night to get her out I don't know what to do. The money I owed was never in dispute and I was always going to pay, what rights do I have???

Once my horse is off of her property I am going to every channel I can to shut her down! She is incompetent and a blind monkey could run a yard better, I have never had a breakdown of my bills and don't believe that she has been completely honest with what she has charged me for. HELP PLEASE!!!

benson21

Visit site
Hi there

Please can someone advise me as to what to do, the story goes:

I have kept my horse at a livery yard for 2 months, the yard isn't run very well and they don't really know what they are doing. I owe a months livery £482 which I am going to pay this Friday, I told the YO that I decided to move my horse next Sat and that I was giving her a weeks notice, she now won't let me on the yard or any of my friends to check that MY horse is ok until I pay the money and remove her. I do think this is unreasonable as all my things are there and she has insisted that she will be on full livery this week until I pick her up on Sat but she is not allowing anyone I know access to MY HORSE!! I am really worried and other than ramming the gates late at night to get her out I don't know what to do. The money I owed was never in dispute and I was always going to pay, what rights do I have???

Once my horse is off of her property I am going to every channel I can to shut her down! She is incompetent and a blind monkey could run a yard better, I have never had a breakdown of my bills and don't believe that she has been completely honest with what she has charged me for. HELP PLEASE!!!

Go and pay the money now!! Dont leave it another week, just go and pay and get out!

ihatework

Visit site
In your situation I would locate emergency stabling, pay YO today and collect horse as soon as you have a stable to move to.

Then chalk it up to a bad experience.

By all means report the yard after you have gone, but until you have the horse and belongings out play it by the book

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
She can not restrict access to your horse, but she is able to stop you from going on her property- it's a catch 22 situation! If you are late in paying your livery bill then you need to look at your livery agreement to see what the remedies are. If you don't have a yard agreement then that's something you have learned for the next time!

If you are sure the horse is being kept securely, is being fed hay and water and is being kept warm then I suggest you enjoy the lay-ins for 5 days and then pick your horse up and leave.
To win the PR war I would suggest you are contrite, polite and quiet- take a box of chocolates and a thank you card for example- then that will make you look like the bigger person should she start (or continue) to be horrid about you behind your back.

I dont' know what you would hope to achieve by getting the yard shut down- it will very likely cost you money, and definitely time. Personally I would move on and get on with the next yard. If you get a reputation as a trouble maker in the (very small and highly inter-connected) horse world you will find it difficult to find livery in the future!

FestiveBoomBoom

Visit site
I agree, just pay the money and leave asap. You will only end up paying more if she is now on full livery. Plus if she is that incompetent you need to check on your horse

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Had you paid her, rather than leaving the money owing, I think you'd have been in a better place to comment re her honesty!

Apart from that just pay her the money and take your horse. At your new yard make sure you pay your money on time each month, leaving it for a bit frays tempers, as you have found, and makes the next month's payment seem much bigger.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Thank you for your help, I am just angry that I haven't been able to see my horse because I am leaving, I was originally going to pay this Friday anway but because she is upset about me leaving she has gone wild! I tried to be apologetic and reason with her but she thinks she can do this, I'm sure it's not right, I don't get paid until Friday so I can't do anymore than that. Every other yard I've been on they let you do your own horse in the week you give your notice, I've never heard anything like it!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
You owe her a lot of money and have told her that you are leaving. She is obviously worried that you can't be trusted and wants to make sure that she gets paid. The obvious thing to do is to pay her the money now, plus the next week, and then you are square. It doesn't sound like you are the ideal livery either.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I work full time and pay monthly which is what I have always done, I only owe a months livery which I pay every month. I have kept horses for 6 years and have never owed anybody money before, I think that you have judged me fairly harshly saying im not an ideal livery without knowing that. I have only ever moved my horses twice because of moving house so have not had the experience before. The money was never the issue, I pay every month without fail.

FestiveBoomBoom

Visit site
Every other yard I've been on they let you do your own horse in the week you give your notice, I've never heard anything like it!

But ultimately you owe her money and she might be thinking that you're going to do a runner without paying, hence the restriction on you seeing your horse.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
She is being un reasonable as well as un professional .

firstly pay her what she is owed then. write a receipt like

Dear Ms XX

please find cheque for monies owed for my livery on this day XXXX year XXXX
this payment is for monies owed to you for livery for a month as agreed in livery agreement , However I will be moving my horse as soon as arrangements can be made.
thankyou for your service in the past and wish you well in future

signed

do 2 copies get her to sign one then you have proof.

Then

I would make plans for another stable for her . I would then organize transport of her and your equipment .

Then go to police station tell them your predicament and say you need their help to collect your horse and the yard owner will not let you go to her.

She cannot refuse with them there

DONT WAIT do it now .!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AS FOR SHUTTING HER DOWN could be costly to you, you need evidance take her to court etc. Just cut your losses get out and move on.

If you get a reputation as a trouble maker in the (very small and highly inter-connected) horse world you will find it difficult to find livery in the future!

5^ the horse world is small

others might like her place just put it down to bad experiance

Last edited:

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
But ultimately you owe her money and she might be thinking that you're going to do a runner without paying, hence the restriction on you seeing your horse.

Exactly. Thats what I meant. Usually you pay a month in advance so that doesn't happen..

I may seem harsh, but I've worked with horses twenty years and seen people not pay bills so many times that I can fully understand why livery yard owners get a bit defensive when people owe a lot of money and have a new yard sorted before the bills are paid..

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
You owe her a lot of money and have told her that you are leaving. She is obviously worried that you can't be trusted and wants to make sure that she gets paid. The obvious thing to do is to pay her the money now, plus the next week, and then you are square. It doesn't sound like you are the ideal livery either.
i can partly agree with you cant see what OP has done to justify the latter part . She is just concerned for her horses welfare something we all would be thinking???

Tinsel Trouble

Visit site
It doesn't sound like you are the ideal livery either.

Sometimes it is easy to act like the school child and become hell bent on having the last word and justfying your cause. Mostly you have to behave like the teacher- suck it up, learn from it and move on.

No police, no tantrums, no gossiping and no legal action- let her make her own bed- you'll look better for it!

Last edited:

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I was never not going to pay my livery, I just think she has been a little unreasonable not to even let my sister muck out and ride every day, she closed the fields without telling me last week and now she has to stand in that box all day without being exercised I just think it's cruel when she is used to going out everyday and being ridden etc. The animal will suffer at the end of the day because she is being unreasonable, I have never had a fob to be able to get into the yard anyway so how on earth would I leave with her before paying??? She could let someone I knwo go and see her at least don't you think??

JFTDWS

Visit site
When you say you "owe" money - is it overdue, or is it just that it's due before you leave? Your post isn't completely clear.

If the former, the YO may be trying to ensure you pay before leaving. If the latter, it's bizarre. I'd love to know where in Essex you are :p

Tinsel Trouble

Visit site
When you combine an animal you love dearly with the money the YO needs to keep going you will have a highly charged and emotive atmosphere. Not one person here has stated that her behavouir is reasonable. but in this economic climate it is justifable! You have to act like the bigger person! You are now in the middle of a PR war, if you throw your toys out the pram you will lose!

If the YO has kept horses for years and years then she will know how to adjust feeds to stop azytoria (sp?). I really can not see how she would risk her reputation and kill your horse over £400. It's not cruel for the horse to be kept in the stable if the others are being kept in too. If she is being fed hay and has fresh water and a clean bed then she will be fine! She may even enjoy having some time off!

Calm down, take a deep breath and make a resolution to enjoy this week with no ties and start fresh on saturday!

You can win the PR battle- it just takes a step back to see the whole picture!

Naryafluffy

Visit site
I could understand not being allowed to remove the horse from the yard without paying, but not being allowed to see your horse in that time I don't agree with.
The yards I've been on i have always paid in advance so don't really have this problem.
Can you try and sort out getting to see the horse, even if there is a curfew on the yard when gates etc are locked?
Not allowing you to leave without paying is not unreasonable, not allowing you to see your horse is unreasonable, could you borrow the money until you get paid?

be positive

Visit site
That is a lot for a months livery, £120 per week which is more like a full livery price, when is the livery usually paid, most are at the end of the month so it is likely to be Decembers bill which is getting rather late, I would give her a post dated cheque, if you have no other way of getting cash, today and pay the final amount when you collect the horse.
She is being unreasonable because allowing you to pay in arrears is her choice, she should get a month in advance to prevent this situation arising with her other liveries.

iconique

Visit site
I suggest that if you want to see your horse, that you go and pay what you owe this evening after work (whether it's due on Friday or not) also if you have the money, pay unto and including the day you have scheduled to leave. Get a receipt. Also nicely express to the YO that you wish to see your horse and do not want a dispute and because all the money part of it isn't an issue, seeing your horse shouldn't be.

Then when you do go to collect your horse, firstly it should be on better terms and secondly its one less thing to worry about as you don't want a full blown row as you are trying to move surely.

And finally be pleasant, the horse industry is very small and you may have to face this person again when you least expect it.

Good luck and please pm me which yard it is, thanks

riding_high

Visit site
if you pay in advance and its' not due until friday then you don't actually owe anything. if you pay in arrears then i can understand the YO's concerns.

if you are concerned your horse won't be taken care of adequately then could you not borrow the money from your family until friday?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
most are at the end of the month .

we dont do ours by the calender month we do ours ever 4 weeks:)

if you pay in advance and its' not due until friday then you don't actually owe anything.

not true if the yard states a months notice of termination she needs to pay a months notice even if she leaves the next day .
if no contract then thats different

Last edited:

Black_Horse_White

Visit site
If what you are saying about payment being due at the end of the week, seems to that the yard owner is peeved because you are leaving. If you have always paid on time and in arrears then she/he is just being unreasonable. I always pay 4 weeks in advance, that way I'm never in arrears. You shouldn't be stopped from looking after your horse. Only from removing it without first settling your outstanding bill. All the best with your move.

Chestersmummy

Visit site
Are you not in contact with any of the other liveries that can put your mind at rest that your horse is being cared for properly.
I leave my yard in 3 weeks and the YO could not have been nicer.
It does just sound like the YO is worried that you will take your horse without paying your livery.

quirky

Visit site
If you have only been there 2 months. how have you managed to be £482 in arrears :confused:?

I would be a little shirty if I was your YO. Nobody likes a bad payer.