Advice needed about livery yard owner

Marydoll

Visit site
Pay your livery today, including your week for leaving in advance, then get out asap. As for buying chocolates etc, i personally would give that a miss.
I would pay cash and get a signed receipt as the cash changes hands stating this is all monies owed.
In future i would pay a months livery up front, then you arent in such a precarious position, you have only been on the yard a couple of months, the yo doesnt really know you to trust you will pay. i do however believe she is not behaving in a professional or reasonable manner, i think you are both at fault in this situation op

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I pay on a four weekly basis, I've never been given a bill but I know from my own diary that after 4 weeks I get paid and I pay what I have had over the last 4 weeks, does that make sense? I haven't ever had this before and have always paid my livery in advance and services as I go along with hay and bedding.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I pay on a four weekly basis, I've never been given a bill but I know from my own diary that after 4 weeks I get paid and I pay what I have had over the last 4 weeks, does that make sense? I haven't ever had this before and have always paid my livery in advance and services as I go along with hay and bedding.

Let us know how you get on with the BHS and Police once you've spoken to them.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
when did you officially give notice of leaving?

what does your contract say ??

if you have to give one months notice of leaving

and say you gave notice the last 2 weeks of the last month then you would have 2 weeks into the next month to make it a month .

1 months termination notice , we count the day a livery tells us as the first day of her notice, this ends 4 weeks later she needs to pay the 4 weeks in advance unless in credit , regardless if she leaves before the notice is up.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Well as you should presumably have a month's money extra floating around somewhere that you haven't had to pay in advance I suggest you use this to pay now for the arrears and the time up until you are going to leave and then you can decide whether to get your horse out now or leave it until the original date you were going to move it.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
That is a lot of money, she knows you are leaving and may think you will go up and remove horse without payment, that is what I would be thinking about someone who suddenly cuts up rough. You cannot expect anyone to wait till you get paid your salary before they get paid to be honest, it is madness.
She will expect cash, so don't go down there with a cheque. If she is such a bad business person that she lets people to run up huge bills she will not b e in business long, so you will get your wish. Take my advice, leave quietly and say no more about it, if your new YO finds out all this, she will not let you on her yard.

Last edited:

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have paid a deposit on another stable where I know she will be safe, I have no contract and so I assume that it is on weeks notice which I gave her on Saturday, she said she wanted me to leave straight away but the new stable isn't ready until Sat coming. I tried to do this properly.

Rb1

Visit site
Something has slightly shocked me here, you say you cannot pay until you have been paid, so does this mean you have no emergency funds/savings? Is this common or am I delusional? I thought having some money tucked away for eventualities such as this was something most horse owners would have!
If this was me I would go and pay what I owe and take my horse as soon as possible! It does sounds like the YO is being unreasonable so all the more reason to get away sooner. Surely you should be able to find emergency stabling somewhere? :?

Miss L Toe

Visit site
I have paid a deposit on another stable where I know she will be safe, I have no contract and so I assume that it is on weeks notice which I gave her on Saturday, she said she wanted me to leave straight away but the new stable isn't ready until Sat coming. I tried to do this properly.
You have not done this properly, you should pay what you owe her.
I am no legal eagle but if you pay her every two months she is entitled to two months notice, that is fair!

lcharles

Visit site
When i left my previous yard, i owed them the months livery and they said i couldnt take my horse until it was paid but i always had access to her! x I can understand the concern of you leaving and then not paying. I knew i wouldnt do this to the stables i was at but i guess they didn't know me well enough to trust me! x i guess its probably happened to them before so they are worried. It would be quite hard for them to retrieve the money once you've left so i can understand her concern.

However, i would go and speak to her face to face. Tell her you will pay on Friday before leaving on Saturday. If she is concerned, ask her to supervise while you check/ride/feed your horse etc. Or give her a cheque, she might accept it and by the time it'll clear the money will be in your account. I think she's being unreasonable but i can understand her concern! x

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I can't understand this. You pay every 4 weeks for full livery and you are not behind with your bill ? If paying in arrears for services and livery is the practice of this YO, then paying on Friday would not make you late and in debt.

When you gave notice , she asked you to go immediately. Does she have a problem with you or your horse ? If there has been an issue then I can understand her behaviour, although banning you from visiting your horse seems extreme.

On the face of it, the YO sounds totally unfair. I've never encountered anything like that. I have known a YO to take the tack room key from a livery before leaving so she had to ask someone to let her in to get tack, but an outright ban from visiting seems outrageous.

I sympathise with YO's who have liveries doing a flit but if she has had bad experiences in the past, she'd be better changing her billing system to advance payments.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have just had a call from the YO and we have had an amicable talk, she said she was upset on Saturday and that it is fair that I give her the money on Friday and leave on Saturday. I said I didn't want any bad feeling and that I only wanted to see my horse and she has calmed down and said that she was unreasonable in keeping me from the yard. The horse is fine and she will look after her. All's well that ends well I suppose. I am not a bad livery and she said that so problem resolved! Thank you all for your advice, greatly appreciated!

liveryblues

Visit site
Cant believe how many people seem to have jumped on the OP here, She asked for advice not criticism. She has explained that she is not behind with her rent but is paying it went it is due, this friday! If her YO bills in arrears that does not make her a bad payer. I also fail to see how "she must have an extra months livery floating around because she doesnt pay in advance" is justified? Nor that she doesnt have a "horse fund" !
Jees this forum can be so critical & holier than thou!:eek:
OP get your horses out as quick as you can.... that sounds like one crazy YO. Hope you manage to sort it quickly, it must be very stress full.

I think we all should take a moment and wonder what we would do if, without having done anything wrong apart from giving notice our YO did this!

edited to add...Just read your update... So glad you have sorted it! xx

*hic*

Visit site
Cant believe how many people seem to have jumped on the OP here, She asked for advice not criticism. She has explained that she is not behind with her rent but is paying it went it is due, this friday! If her YO bills in arrears that does not make her a bad payer. I also fail to see how "she must have an extra months livery floating around because she doesnt pay in advance" is justified? Nor that she doesnt have a "horse fund" !
OP get your horses out as quick as you can.... that sounds like one crazy YO. Hope you manage to sort it quickly, it must be very stress full.

I think we all should take a moment and wonder what we would do if, without having done anything wrong apart from giving notice our YO did this!

If you read through, the OP did not explain until late on that she paid in arrears not in advance. Once she did it is only simple accounting to realise that having come from a yard where she paid in advance to one where she paid in arrears there was one month that she had not paid for in advance nor was due to pay for in arrears and that month's money is presumbly hanging around somewhere and available to get her out of the hole she was (at that time) in. Not critical in any way, merely pointing out the finances!

I am currently having to deal with the outcome of someone just handing in their notice - the thirty days notice stated in the contract for her to deliver the pony back to me changed "pick it up in two days". Luckily for her the livery yard manager where she kept it let her go straight away despite her not having settled payment for the 30 days livery notice that she gave, mind you she did tell the YM that she'd paid the YO direct:(

*hic*

Visit site
I have just had a call from the YO and we have had an amicable talk, she said she was upset on Saturday and that it is fair that I give her the money on Friday and leave on Saturday. I said I didn't want any bad feeling and that I only wanted to see my horse and she has calmed down and said that she was unreasonable in keeping me from the yard. The horse is fine and she will look after her. All's well that ends well I suppose. I am not a bad livery and she said that so problem resolved! Thank you all for your advice, greatly appreciated!

Well done for keeping your cool and getting it sorted:)

wizbit

Visit site

Wow! Someone that talks some sense! I totally agree with this ^^^^ x

BorgRae

Visit site

^^^THIS^^^^^ Well said!!

I'm really pleased you got it sorted OP.

Good luck with your move on Saturday :)

Marydoll

Visit site

Glad you got it sorted out op

Kenzo

Visit site
Your YO is being very very un reasonable providing you have not done anything further to upset them and what you are saying is the full story.

I like yourself pay at the end of the every month, if I was to tell my YO that I was leaving (be it a weeks or months notice, although a weeks notice does seem too shorter notice but if its a bad yard and you want out then you do what you have to do) and my YO was to turnaround and say right, well your not allowed on the yard until your time is up and you've paid, then I'd think they were a can short of a bloody six pack!

Why should anything change, your paying for a service which it to keep your horse at livery be it DIY or Full, since when did the rule come that you were not permitted to see, ride or tend your own horse, has the world gone mad?

Obviously if you are some sort of threat to yard and done something drastic where they need to keep you away I could understand but just because you have given notice?!

crazy :rolleyes:

BlueCakes

Visit site

^^ Like This ^^

I'm happy you have managed to speak to the YO and sort this out. Funny it sounds exactly like a problem I had last year. Said I was leaving as the horse wasn't looked after properly and the YO started getting nasty. I would have moved him to my back garden rather than have him there a day longer that I had to. I even stayed a month at her request and paid for it, even though we also paid in arrears and were up to date.

I hope you have better luck in the future. x

Megalini_22

Visit site
You owe her a lot of money and have told her that you are leaving. She is obviously worried that you can't be trusted and wants to make sure that she gets paid. The obvious thing to do is to pay her the money now, plus the next week, and then you are square. It doesn't sound like you are the ideal livery either.

Totally uncalled for comment in my mind - Why pass judgement knowing very few of the facts.

Hun - can you not borrow the funds from somewhere - take cash down there and at least get on the yard to check your horse?

Good luck - and keep your chin up!

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Hi there

Once my horse is off of her property I am going to every channel I can to shut her down! She is incompetent and a blind monkey could run a yard better, I have never had a breakdown of my bills and don't believe that she has been completely honest with what she has charged me for. HELP PLEASE!!!
This is why people did not like the OP's attitude.

Enfys

Visit site
Originally Posted by Pinkvboots
Hi there
Once my horse is off of her property I am going to every channel I can to shut her down! She is incompetent and a blind monkey could run a yard better, I have never had a breakdown of my bills and don't believe that she has been completely honest with what she has charged me for. HELP PLEASE!!!

I sincerely hope that your YO doesn't come on here and read this paragraph :(

Anyway, all sorted now, a fresh start for everyone involved.

bugbee717

Visit site
If I was you before you pick your horse up I would look at the sale of goods and services act, or contact your trading standards. She is providing a service, and all livery yards come under this act.