advice needed, dog refusing to wee!

hannah87

Visit site
Hi guys

Ok Louis is my JRT x Chi, 2 years old - have had him since a pup. He is neutered.

Our problem is that if its cold/wet/foggy/generally not warm and sunny he has issues with goig outside to go to the toilet. He was very easy to toilet train as a pup, and he NEVER goes in the house - but he will literally just hold it in (poo and wee) and Im not sure that is particularly good for him. He has never liked the cold/wet and he has jackets to wear when its vile outside. Having said this, he will happlily go for a walk in any weather so his dislike of the cold cannot be that bad.

He has always been reluctant to go outside to the toilet when its cold but it has reached an all time high. We moved house 2 months ago, and he has been very settled here, no problems so I dont think its that. Outside the garden is decked, with a grass area we created for him to use as he would not go at all on the decking - thinking he wasnt allowed I think. If the sun is shining he will run out and go. He has never needed to go that much and doesnt generally ask to go out, we just let him out every so often. Yesterday it was miserable. I woke up at 7am, and let him out - he ran across the decking to the grass, got almost there, stopped as if realising its cold and wet and turned and legged it back in. I sent him back out and he just stood by the door shivering so I let him in. Tried again at lunchtime, he ran to the grass - put one paw on it and realsing it was wet quickly removed said paw and ran back in. I swear could actually see his look of disgust at the wet grass. Tried again later that aft, wouldnt go. In the end my OH walked him down the road where in 1 minute he did a massive poo and wee. It is getting silly and Im worried he will cause himself problems. He once held it for nearly 2 days as it was raining as I decided not to walk him to see if he would go off his own back in the garden and he did eventually.

Any advice? Its like he saves it all up for walks and does like 5 poos on one walk. Unfortuntately he doesnt get walked every single day, more like 5 X a week with 2 of them mega walks and this suits him fine exercise wise. I always praise him when he goes at home. I have tried locking him outside and watching from upstairs window to see if he goes but he just stands at the door. Tried letting him out more/less doesnt work.

ANy ideas? Thankyou!!

beeswax

Visit site
IMO and experience with my own JRT he is similar doesnt like the wet grass touching his "you know what" they will go when they cant hold it in anymore as long as they have the option to be able to go out then you are doing nothing serious it is when they are shut indoors and hold it in because they cant go out, pull the curtain back so you cant see him shivering and make sure he is out for 5 mins (he wont die) then bring him in. I just love it when they lie under the blankets all nice and warm and refuse to budge on the cold mornings.

hannah87

Visit site
It doesnt matter if I walk him to the grass patch, tried that , tried picking him up and putting him on it etc. He just stands there holding a paw up, ears flattened like its the most awful thing ever. Yes I could just walk him down the road but I would like to solve the issue, its a pain having to walk your dog every time he needs the loo, and with a baby on the way, it may not always be feasible.

CAYLA

Visit site
It may be his way of telling you (he wants more walks) :p
My rotti can and will hold for longer and will if she can wait for a walk, which she gets everyday, she is however recoveing from a cruciate op, so she will easily skip a days toilet cos she loves her bed.
I would make the effort to walk him more in the bad weather, you are lucky, he is atleast trying to his best to hold :), some would just go indoors.

hannah87

Visit site
You really think its that he wants more walks?! But then wouldnt he refuse to go toilet when its not raining as well!?

I honestly do not think it has anything to do with walks per say, but that he dislikes the cold and the wet grass - like I said he will run out obviously needing a wee and get to the grass decide its not to his liking and leg it back in!! Sometimes if I say GO AND DO A WEE he grudgingly turns back round and stomps back and does one, but not always. Im just genuinely worried he may cause some damage to himself by not going when he needs to? I know we could just walk him to do his wees and poos, but this is not feasible everyday and to be honest, well he has a blooming garden to do it in!!

hannah87

Visit site
Was hoping someone may have some ideas of how to work through the issue, rather than just taking him down the road? Although am willing to do that if neccessary, if it avoids him causing damage to himself/have a happier dog!

CAYLA

Visit site
Lol, that bit was a bit tongue in cheek:D

You could try and create a mini shelter near the door and spray some puppy spray (the one that encourages urination via smell) on the ground in the area.
I think you would have a bigger issues if he was toileting inside, just keep giving him the option of going out.

paisley

Visit site
If he will go on the road, then I'm guessing its not wet feet he minds, but as beeswax said its wet bum he's objecting to!
What if you made part of the garden really bare, no grass at all? It wouldnt have to be massive, in case you're short of space?
I would have suggested a 'sand pit' but who wants the entire supply of neighbourhood cats coming round!?
Sorry cant think of anything else other than down the road for now- maybe when the summer is here it might get better.

hannah87

Visit site
LOL, see most of the garden is decking - we created the grass patch for him to use as a toilet as he would not go on the decking!! We almost made a sand pit toilet but decided grass was better because of the cat issue! he also has absolutely no problem going on snow btw! I dont want to pander to him too much, as with a baby on the way I dont want to indulge him by only going to toilet on walks, and make an even bigger issue and pain for myself!!

paisley

Visit site
See, I have sort of the opposite problem, my dog (and we can call him a dog 'cause he's a whole year old today!) comes to stare at me when I'm on the loo- no privacy in my house!
In fairness though, I also refuse to go on the grass outside under any circumstances!

littlemisslauren

Visit site
I would be walking him for wees, even if it was just down the street for 5 mins every few hours.

I really dont like the idea of a dog holding for that long.