advice please. rehab/small turnout pen

minimex2

Visit site
Horse is halfway through rehab (bruised pedal bone) and is allowed in small turnout pen.

If hes closest to stable in a restricted pen theres no grass or other horses to see. (But can put hay out)

Alternatively he can have a secure pen close to other horses and loads of grass. But walk is approx 5-6 mins walk on gravel track.

I know he'd be happier down there but he shoudnt really be walking and as we are over halfway through the box rest/restricted turnout and dont want to jeopardise the heeling thats already happened.

Hes also started getting bored/handful and hungry and fear he might jump fence.

what would you do?

Thanks

be positive

Visit site
As it was bruising rather than a fracture I would put boots/ pads on and walk him to the grass where there is less risk of him jumping out, the longer he can stay out being quiet and settled the better for him mentally so I would be looking towards leaving him out and gradually extending the space which is also probably best done near the others.

Mister Ted

Visit site
Could you try hoof boots to walk him there.I am sure he would be happier with some horse company which is natural.

minimex2

Visit site
thanks both, He already has equipak gel under his shoes to cushion the bruise. Just concerned and want to limit his movement , but weighing up his well being as well, as fear he's getting fed up where he is and will go over the fence and into the distance which will prob result in more damage.

mainpower

Visit site
Can you leave him out in the furthest pen so he doesn't have to walk to and fro' his stable?
Alternatively can you ring the closer pen with Heras fencing so he can't jump out?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I'd double check with vet, but would also go for trying to leave out in the further pen. My horse is doing pen rest in the field instead of box rest at the moment. If I tried to restrict her too much she jumped out :mad: so we've compromised on the size and location of the pen. She is happy pottering about, though I have to hay her now as the grass is long gone.

If you are lucky with the weather as I've been, leaving out most of the time would mean you wouldn't be traipsing back and forth on the gravel.

minimex2

Visit site
Thanks, actually i hadnt thought of leaving him out to limit the walking back and forth and there are others who stay out so he would always have company.

I worry for worry sake, and as the field is quite isolated would then add worrying about him being safe at night or getting out and not finding out till the morning.

thanks again