advice please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReadySaltedPeanuts

Visit site
Hiya, I need to seperate my three donkeys, a yearling filly and gelding and a 6year old stallion.

Would you reccomend me seperating yearlings together, or seperate the filly from the two boys as gelding can be 'coltish'?

I would like helpful replies.
And not to be jumped on again.
Thanks.

LittleBlackMule

Visit site
Donkeys are not good on their own, it distresses them a lot.

I'd geld the jack and then they can be happy all together. Otherwise, leave the boys together and find a suitable companion for the filly.

MillyMoomie

Visit site
Great advice from littleblackmule.

Donks should never be separated from bonded sets. Should imagine you know the dangers.

Could find a friend for filly, let them bond together and keep two bonded pairs.

Would recommend calling the donkey sanctuary for advice. Really nice people and know everything about donkeys, should imagine will tell you exactly how to handle this delicate situation!

Parachute

Visit site
Edited as i'm not 100% if ponies and donkeys are okay together - i'm sure I read that they gave each other illnesses? :confused:

MillyMoomie

Visit site
ReadySaltedPeanuts still consider a mate for the filly, just being able to see other donkeys is not really sufficient. Even a goat or something would do.

Plus when the filly starts coming into season electric fence will not keep the stallion away!!

Parachute

Visit site
That is rather a nasty comment to make Parachute, are you privy to the posters bank account?

Excuse me?
If you had read the other post by RSP you'll have seen she was wanting to rehome a free to good home pony on which people were debating whether or not she was financially okay to house another equine. Not once did I mean for my comment to be offensive and no, surprise surprise I do not have access to her bank account, I don't even know her..
All I said, was why not get this pony she wanted and put it with the filly BUT I said to be financially stable first ( sensible )
And then I edited it as I wasn't sure if ponies/donkeys were suitable companions.
None of what I wrote was meant in a nasty way. :confused:

ReadySaltedPeanuts still consider a mate for the filly, just being able to see other donkeys is not really sufficient. Even a goat or something would do.

Plus when the filly starts coming into season electric fence will not keep the stallion away!!

A goat!! Everyone loves goats :D

Parachute

Visit site
Parachute, in my OP i asked for advice, not to be bullied. And for comments like that.

I'm not bullying you at all? :eek:
I don't even know you :rolleyes:
I'm sorry if you read my comment as nasty but it really wasn't intended to be negative. Infact, i've just clarified my comment on the post above.

Parachute

Visit site
I read the posters other thread, i found it rather distastful and a lot of assumptions and presumptions. I feel sorry for the poster as i feel they are being ridiculed when they have asked for help.

Once again I will say I did not mean it nastily, If I was being negative I would have put ':rolleyes:' So you could see. Unfortunately with forums, you cannot tell which context people are writing. Like i've said, twice, I didn't mean it nastily, Infact I gave my advice, which RSP asked for

I apologize if you read my post in a negative way, I assure you it wasn't. Whether you believe me or not, that's your choice.

Last edited:

Parachute

Visit site
I now see you have edited out your comment about the poster affording. Don't worry though, i have a copy here:

Have a copy all you want, i'm not getting into a battle with you. As i've said, NUMEROUS times now :rolleyes: - I edited because I didn't know if ponies & donkeys could live together. (I now know they can)
Now reading my comment, I can see it could look nasty IF YOU look at it that way (don't know how people view it) but that's not how I meant it. Infact, following from RSP's first thread on whether to get the pony or not. People were debating whether she could afford a pony or not. I did not read that particular thread until the end and don't know the outcome. I'm not going to say 'yes get this pony' if people decided she couldn't afford it. Fair point, I don't know RSP's financial situation - I put 'IF' to say if she can, do it.

And just to clarify, before you start getting all 'big' about this. I edited my post straight after my comment as I was unsure - Infact, I've said that multiple times now. Think what you like my love, i've said what I meant. Believe me or don't. Really not bothered.

Parachute

Visit site
Then maybe leave the reply to the expert?

Poster, why don't you post in breeding? You will have people there used to the management of entire's who can assist you?

This is an open forum, I shall post what and where I damn like. It's not my fault you misread my post, i've clarified what I meant multiple times and I even apologized for the way it came across. If you want to drag it out, be my guest but you're just wasting time :):):):)

Parachute

Visit site
Please do not call me your 'love'. I personally couldn't give a hoot anyones intentions, I dislike it when people make assumptions about others when the orginal poster was asking for help.

You are very defensive for someone in the right, Parachute.

:rolleyes:
How long are you going to drag this on?
It's not just me who's making assumptions so wow, you're new and you already don't like most of the posters :):) aren't you lovely?

Ah, you also misread that too. I am not defensive, I am meerly replying to your comments and clarifying my post which you are asking for in your replies. :):):)

ReadySaltedPeanuts

Visit site
This forum really does make me feel like complete and utter s**t.

Parachute, You've made it clear you are not on this thread to post any advice, so if you are not going to post anything useful, and just comment things against me, then don't bother.

Quite frankly, after the previous thread I feel like giving up completly. Sso thankyou, all who have posted nasty comments to me on my threads. I hope you are all happy.

Nancykitt

Wester Ross, the beautiful NW coast of Scotland
Visit site
Having seen Parachute's original (now deleted) post I have to say that I didn't see it as offensive at all, mainly because I saw it in the context of the previous thread in which OP mentioned her income. There was a lot of discussion about how much it would cost to keep the donkeys - and pony, if the OP chose to acquire it.

tessybear

Visit site
well this turned nasty quickly !:rolleyes:

Handbags down ladies how old are we ;)

Op Parachute was merely asking a question and perhaps didn't go about it the right way but no need to pull out the "Im being bullied card" :cool:

-nods head and settles down-

EDT- I think you need to find away to make sure nobody is lonely, removing the jacks buddies isn;t great :)

Parachute

Visit site
This forum really does make me feel like complete and utter s**t.

Parachute, You've made it clear you are not on this thread to post any advice, so if you are not going to post anything useful, and just comment things against me, then don't bother.

Quite frankly, after the previous thread I feel like giving up completly. Sso thankyou, all who have posted nasty comments to me on my threads. I hope you are all happy.

Nobody set out to make you feel like s**t at all, you posted on an open thread a question, asking for people's opinions which you got. You can't expect everyone to say 'Yeah, get the pony, live happily ever after' they're being realistic as you were in the end, as you decided against the pony.
I actually did post advice, which you asked for, but wasn't 100% so edited it. (I then got my answer)
There's no point giving up, nobody is out to dislike you or upset you, everyone's trying to help and without being intentionally rude, you can either accept it or you don't. Personally, I'd dislike it if you left or stopped commenting. I love your updates and your donkeys are gorgeous but it's your choice.

ReadySaltedPeanuts

Visit site

Op Parachute was merely asking a question and perhaps didn't go about it the right way but no need to pull out the "Im being bullied card" :cool:

I'm sorry, the "I'm being bullied" card? did you see my previous thread.

LIKE I SAID IN MY ORIGINAL POST HERE, IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ADVICE FOR ME ON THE SUBJECT PLEASE DON'T COMMENT. PM ME IF YOU REALLY WANT TO ASK ME ABOUT MY FINANCIAL INCOME, RUGGING, WHAT I HAD FOR TEA.

This is obviously not just aimed at TB.. but for all of you who are not commenting useful advice.

*sprinkles*

Visit site
It's tricky to give advice without knowing your set-up OP, as I imagine the stallion would be more content away from sight and smell of the filly when she is in season. Pop him with the gelding yes but I'm not sure that having them right next to the filly is a good idea. Electric tape would maybe hold him in but he will be stressed if he can see her but cannot reach her when he knows she's in season. If that makes sense?! Of course you will need a companion for your filly too.

Where I used to work we would turn the stallions out at night with their companions, the rest of the horses went out during the day so there was less stress and clashes all round. I don't know if you have access to stabling? But that might be an idea.

tessybear

Visit site
I am under the assumption that Parachute is indeed a child herself at 17? Oh, i remember being a braizen 17 year old :).

I take offense to this... 17 year olds are not all the same, please do not tar us under the same brush :) I know parachute she is far from a child and has showed maturity on here in the past !

Parachute

Visit site
Please remember poster, it is just the internet and these people do not know you from adam so cannot really comment because their opinions are based on presumptions. Parachute has already acknowlegded her love of the presumption.
:rolleyes:
Having seen Parachute's original (now deleted) post I have to say that I didn't see it as offensive at all, mainly because I saw it in the context of the previous thread in which OP mentioned her income. There was a lot of discussion about how much it would cost to keep the donkeys - and pony, if the OP chose to acquire it.
Thank you! I'm glad someone saw that my post wasn't meant nastily!

It always turns out like this on HHO :D
I was meerly posting my post on an open forum :)
-Nods head back-
EDT- I think you need to find away to make sure nobody is lonely, removing the jacks buddies isn;t great :)

I am under the assumption that Parachute is indeed a child herself at 17? Oh, i remember being a braizen 17 year old :).
I'm meerly replying to yours and OP's posts. :)

tessybear

Visit site
I dont give two shits what your financial income is but i wouldnt class this as bullying I never said anything about your financial income... no need to get your knickers in a twist ;):D

Status
Not open for further replies.