advice regarding green eyed monsters

wildcard

Visit site
also not sure if the YO has even got insurance for the tack room?? bit worrying if she hasnt like.. and yes i can definately confirm their is only 4 people that visited the yard between the wednesdsay evening when i left it fine and arriving thursday night broken.

Cocorules

Visit site
If the yard owner has not moved this person on, I would move. It comes down to feeling secure and some psycho doing this would make me concerned at what else they would do.

LouS

Visit site
I know I'm a bit late to this thread but that is absolutely disgusting, what kind of people are on your yard?! I just cannot fathom someone doing that, absolute scum!

Is there another suitable yard you could move to at all or is this definitely where is best for you and your horse? If there's somewhere more suitable I'd be out of there, being stressed on yards is horrible. I really feel for you, I'd be so upset.

wildcard

Visit site
ive been thinking about a couple of yards and have got a lesson with my instructor wednesday evening and am also going to discuss the livery she provides so this maybe an option for me. my only concern is i have a very elderly lad almost 26 and im worried about the stress of moving him as hes been their so long..

jrp204

Visit site
If it was my yard I would give the 4 liveries who accessed the tack room notice to leave, bet it wouldn't be long before the culprit was 'outed'. Then 3 could stay.

Morgan123

Visit site
Poor you, I feel awful for you - I'd be absoluely spitting mad if it was me! And maybe confiscate all the other saddles on the yard for a few days or something ;-)

How do all the other liveries feel - are they not horrified too?! I know if that happened at my yard I'd be doing all I could to help find who did it before somehting worse happened. What an awful person this must be, I have always found it amazing how upset people get about lifts to shows.

I know it must be really hard if the YM won't be very helpful to you. However, that's a really serious thing for someone to have done - such a lot of money. If she's not prepared to face up to this person/people she should really cover it or offer to cover part of it.

Archangel

Visit site
What do the other liveries think of the whole thing?

People tend to go all mumbly and keep their head down so you almost feel the person in the wrong. It is down to your YO to exercise some authority, it may be horses and your hobby but it is her job.

Did the horse belonging to the other livery not get to go to the show then after you said it damaged your trailer?

I can only be one of four people, I cannot imagine a YO worth their salt letting someone get away with it. Grrr.

Persephone

Visit site
All I would say, is that somebody vindictive enough to do that kind of damage, could possibly move onto your horse.

If you can't get rid of the person, I would be out of there like a shot for the sake of my horse :(

Daytona

Visit site
Gosh I thought it was bad at a yard when some tipped out a expensive supplement out of spite by that really takes it to a new level I'm sorry I'd confront the girl you think it is all guns blazing and tell the little bitch i was taking her saddle to sell to recover damages proof or no proof. That's utterly disgracefulthing to do to someone. How old is this spitefull person..??

Auslander

Visit site
I'd definitely go ahead with finger printing. Surely no-one has any reason to touch your saddle except for you - or anyone else who rides your horse - so the culprits finger prints should not be on the saddle?

Sarah1

Visit site
There must surely be private companies that offer some kind of finger printing service? Might be costly but surely not £400-£500 worth of expense...?

Elbie

Visit site
The problem with just saying the police are involved and threatening finger printing, the culprit isn't going to own up to it until there is solid proof to prove them guilty. The other 3 that were there may be none the wiser as to what went on so may be honestly saying it wasn't them.

I would have thought there would be finger prints on the knee rolls or pommel as assuming the culprit would have held the saddle steady there to draw the knife down with the other hand. Maybe the police SHOULD finger print to see if there are matching prints on either side.

What does your insurance specifically say with regards to not paying? Who is it with?

wildcard

Visit site
the police have said that becuase it is a communal tack room people may have touched the saddle previously and so wouldnt be solid enough evidence and that some surfaces are very hard to finger print off.. im not a crime expert ive just gone by what the police have told me and theyve said finger printing isnt an option. Insurance company have stated that because the saddle has been maliciously damaged it isnt covered under my agreement. I do only have a basic policy for tack lesson well learnt!! , but im not doing a lot of competing at the moment and didnt think id have much need for the higher level. and in all honestly never thought for one second anything like this would happen. :(

Elbie

Visit site
Oh did think that would still be hard to prove one person guilty as it is a communal place, however would definitely put the frighteners on them if they did see the police doing it!

May be worth looking into your household insurance then. But then depends on your excess etc whether it would be worth claiming.

Very sad thing to happen. Shame you are not able to keep tack in a tack room anymore for fear of damage. Exactly what are tack rooms supposed to be for?!

Also think your YO should grow some balls and say to all liveries malicious damage will not be tolerated.

LJN

Visit site
You poor thing, what a horrid thing to happen :(

If your YO is not prepared to do anything about this situation, I think you should leave. Ruining other peoples belongs is not acceptable or normal behaviour and I'm sure you would feel much happier and safer at a new yard. It would be horrid for you to feel on edge all the time when have done nothing wrong.

Fingers crossed you get the situation resolved.

Dancing Queen

Visit site
so just wanting bit of advice really, had an absolutely awful week, having just got back aboard my 4 year old due to yet another kick :( id planned on going showing yesterday with her and know a few people from my yard were also going..

so arrived at my yard Thursday nught to do a little schooling before the weekend to find someone had slashed my brand new only 3 months old bates saddle right down the knee rolls. I actually was in shock that someone could have done such a nasty spitful thing. and ofcourse everyone has pleaded innocence, although im pretty sure who it was i cant prove it..

so im stuck now with what to do.. ive been at this yard almost 10 years now and never had any problems issues etc but this is making me want to leave, i cant put my things in the tackroom for fear it may happen again in the future so everything is currently locked in my wagon :( and you could cut the atmosphere with a knife..

I dont want to let this person win by leaving but dont know how to progress forward been on the same yard as them and knowing their having a real good laugh at my expense... Please help this is really getting me down now and making me not want to spend time with my horses. :(

Hi, havent read all the replies, i was so shocked.
I know you have been there 10 years, but my thought would be if they can do that to a saddle what could they do to the horse?

Merrymoles

Visit site
This sounds appalling and much worse than the normal bitching. I'd be worried about the horses too. I can completely understand why you don't want to leave after ten years but if it was me, I'd be telling the yard owner that either XXX goes or I do.

Shadow the Reindeer

Visit site
I'd gather the 4 people up and give them 48 hours to tell the truth... they either genuinely don't know, or are in it up to their ears, or are covering up for the offender..

Morgan123

Visit site
Poor you. Find a new yard, and confiscate all four saddles of those others until you get the truth.

Horrible though re: having to move your horse if he's been there so long - but just in case it helps, i though the same about my old mare (28 and very herd-based and bad separation anxiety) - basically through circumstances out of my control i've had to mvoe twice this year (farm being sold for exmaple) and she did cope much better than I would have thought. I know they're all different but thought it might help to hear that. As he ohers on here, I'd be worried what might happen to horses, other tack, etc.

fatpiggy

Visit site
This reminds me of an incident at school when I was a teenager. There were boarders (all girl school) and one was bought a second-hand rabbit fur coat by her brother with his first pay packet. Not long after someone took a pair of scissors to it and sliced and shaved it all over. The police DID come and fingerprint the cupboard and took it all seriously, and horrible threats were made by staff unless the culprit owned up but I don't think they ever got to the bottom of it. We all had a good idea who it was but she remained as cool as a cucumber when it was openly discussed in class. Rest of us were very angry and vocal so perhaps the fact she didn't join in spoke volumes!

Incidentally when my yard was robbed, SOCCO did fingerprint all the tackrooms that were broken into, so don't take no for an answer from the police.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Hi, havent read all the replies, i was so shocked.
I know you have been there 10 years, but my thought would be if they can do that to a saddle what could they do to the horse?

This ^^ Very worrying.

I would press the police to fingerprint, but you can't take prints off people if they refuse and tbh, the police will not be able to oblige them to give prints without proof of wrongdoing. Therefore the fingerprinting is academic.

Either move, lock up your stuff very securey or hope it doesn't happen again. Must admit, I'd be peeing myself with worry.

mandwhy

Visit site
God what a horrid thing for someone to do! Have you upset or had rows with anyone? Not that it would justify it of course. I would probably put secret cameras in although maybe a bit late now! Are other liveries taking their tack home? I would!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Regarding moving yard, there was an oldie at our yard who had lived there for 17 years. His owner moved to Cumbria and the old fella had a new lease of life. Settled in well and was being hacked out alone daily, which he never did at his old yard.

Parker79

Visit site
How awful - there are 4 people ....the 3 that you do not suspect...are they friends? what have they said? The person you suspect...have they said anything?

Renvers

Visit site
What an awful, nasty thing to happen to you.

I would move, you may have had 10 years there but this kind of behaviour could escalate. The culprit might consider they have got away with it' as the YO is taking no action about criminal damage on their yard or a livery of 10 years standing being treated like this.

If the culprit is this spiteful to one on the yard I bet the others will become targets if they displease them.

I am a big fan of being a livery on my instructors yard, so handy when you have riding issues, so hope that yard suits you better and you can leave this place quickly.

horseandshoes77

Visit site
havent read all replies but if yard owner wouldnt do anything and i new for def who did it i .. it would be an eye for an eye... i certainly would not move from a yard id been at happily for such a long time..but then im a grumpy cow and am not on livery !

horsesatemymoney

Visit site
I'd be off there like a shot for 2 reasons; firstly, some psycho has done that to your (expensive!) saddle for no apparent reason and secondly, your YO hasn't done anything to help somebody who has given her 10 years of custom! What would it take for her to do something about what is disgusting, and worrying, behaviour? Move, and give your hard earned cash to a YO who doesn't tolerate nutters!!

SnowandSunshine

Visit site
Incidentally when my yard was robbed, SOCCO did fingerprint all the tackrooms that were broken into, so don't take no for an answer from the police.

But that was when the yard was broken into by an outsider, so their prints should have been nowhere inside the tackrooms. The person responsible in this case was permitted to be in the tackroom.
And OP, your local police aren't fobbing you off (I know you didn't suggest they were!), getting prints off a leather saddle wouldn't happen, you need hard shiny surfaces that don't absorb. And as they say, even if they did find a print on something, that person can just say, 'oh well I leant on it to reach something' and thats the end of your evidence.

Really sorry about your situation, your YO needs to man up!