After my visit to A+E to see a facial surgeon...

Kenzo

Visit site
How old is this horse (didn't quite understand your last post) do you mean this horse is 9?...anyway point being, could it be that he's now feeling much better in himself, you said when he came to you he was pretty run down, perhaps he's now feeling well and at times has little outbursts like many do, maybe he needs to be in constant routine, many horses have there stupid moments, guess it depends on when and where they choose to do it as to what injuries you get, but again having said that, do you really want a quirky type that can have silly moments if this is how he's going to be at times?

Jenny_Sinn

Visit site
Please tell me I'm reading that wrong - someone has contacted the owner because they want him for a 9yr old child??
Hope you're ok and get this sorted.

Clannad48

Visit site
Originally Posted by Devonshire dumpling
Also if you feel you need an excuse, heres one for you!!!! Your little girl will be riding her pony next to him when you hack out, how would you feel if he had another turn and knocked her off her pony, or caused her pony to react, or if she saw her mummy hurt. Just not worth it! XX

Totally agree with this ^^^^

Walk away - NOW - whilst you still can.

Yes there may be issues that need to be dealt with, whether they be medical or behaviour - but let's be honest at the end of the day this is not your horse, it is a horse you have on trial - send it back and look for something else. Yes you have invested, time money and emotion for this horse but there are times when you have to take the hard line and move on. You have a daughter and husband who need you - life is just too short to take risks that are avoidable. There are plenty of nice horses out there

hayinamanger

Visit site
Gosh, how awful, I do hope you are not badly smacked up.

Please don't feel a failure, that horse is thoroughly unsuitable for the job you have for it.

People always say 'it's never done that before' ...yerright

You were incredibly courageous getting back on the horse, I wouldn't have got on him again after the first decking.

Your friend sounds like the sort you could do without in your life.

There are plenty of nice, steady horses out there, go and find one (and stay away from thoroughbreds)

Chavhorse

Visit site
Their is no shame at all in saying "actually I do not need this" thanks very much.

I have recently found myself in the same position with my beloved boy who I have owned for 3 years, He is great with my trainer and will be great with another rider with far more balls than I will ever have but after ending up going wharp speed around the school on my last lesson with him I have come to the sad but honest conclusion he is just too much horse for me and to be honest I do not enjoy it and the thought of ever getting on him again makes me feel sick, and I did not come off managed by sheer will power alone to stay on!

I have found my sanity in having some lessons on my Trainers dead broke Appaloosa and after a couple of weeks of thinking "do I actually want to give up horses" have realized no I love riding it is just that my horse and I will never ever be a match.

Like yours mine is a darling on the ground and I love him dearly but both he and I deserve a bit more.

I am off with my trainer to look at an ex RDA cob on Sunday and I am really excited about it.

As I say no shame and as my trainer said to me "having a horse you are either scared of or do not feel happy on is the most expensive way of being unhappy I know"

One of the other things he said to me in a lesson was " how do you feel , could you do this happily all day? if not its not the right horse for you"

Good luck with it I know what a hard decision it is but since voicing my feelings I have had nothing but support if your friends are true ones they will react the same way x

Tormenta

Visit site
I think many of us have been there, being pressurised by people or 'friends' who apparently know better. Where horses are concerned there are always experts and it isn't until you start to build up your own confidence which goes hand-in-hand with starting to realise what YOU want and would prefer to do that you can eventually say "No Thank You". You won't be able to do that until you feel confident and it sounds very much at the moment like you are blaming yourself for a lot of things because you are low in confidence.

Have you a really good friend who could help you stand your ground? Or would you be able to get a professional who would possibly come in, look at the situation and be your starting point and help? You won't get anywhere having your confidence continually razed to the ground, don't feel guilty. This is your life that is being compromised. Get yourself a nice, hack around the block type of horse, there are many being advertised who are maybe in their teens but would be your ideal starting point. Find a knowledgeable home for the horse you have.

AengusOg

Visit site
What an awful thing to have happened. No wonder you are worried.

I haven't read the whole thread so this may have been mentioned, but I certainly wouldn't consider getting back on him before doing a bit of in-hand work, and maybe a bit of longeing or longreining over a couple of weeks and quietly bring him into work that way. Lots of horses will put up with being ridden after a period off work, but many can't take it. The better you know him on the ground, the better you'll know him under saddle.

A speedy recovery to you.

Fellewell

Visit site
Perhaps we can be kind to your friends because when I read that you work with racers I wondered why you needed advice. Maybe you just need some Rescue Remedy:)
Just a thought; could he have got tangled up when you mounted? You said the reins were broken? I once found a very gentle gelding wearing his stable door after getting his halter caught on the bolt.

McNally

Visit site
Perhaps we can be kind to your friends because when I read that you work with racers I wondered why you needed advice. Maybe you just need some Rescue Remedy:)
Just a thought; could he have got tangled up when you mounted? You said the reins were broken? I once found a very gentle gelding wearing his stable door after getting his halter caught on the bolt.

Yes i work with race horses every day of my life (well i do get the occasional day off :)) I love them I am very confident handling on the ground and riding if i am told by somone i trust i can! I dont normally ride them but if there is someone off or they are just hacking with a once up the gallop i might get on!
Thats fine- they are not mine, if one throws me or plays up badly i never have to get on it again- i think that makes me braver if that makes sense!

My horse has to be safe- I am regularly hanging onto a very hotted up tb at work when i finish i want a snuggly pony!

and yes the person expressed interest for her 9 yr old CHILD...........

McNally

Visit site
Sorry, i would also like to thank everyone for their kind words, good wishes and even a few offers of some lovely sounding horses either loans or rides- I am actually touched! xx

I am lucky in that the worst injury is inside my mouth so although incredibly sore it will scar quite badly but wont be visible and any feeling in your mouth i think we adapt to quickly so am not worried by that.
My lower lip is also stitched its very swollen and will also be scarred most likely but i figure a scar on a lip is not going to be very obvious, other than that just bruising.
The Dr's said i was very lucky my jaw and cheek bones are not damaged so i got away very lightly....

dingle12

Visit site
I hope your feeling better and your sorted soon, but can i ask one question ?

Did you get on this horse whilst he was tied up??? if so thats a accident waiting to happen i really dont understand people that do this ive seen it done a few times with youngsters too.

SusieT

Visit site
Return the horse, if you need to say you cannot ride for a while due to your facial injuries. Shame on whoever gave you the horse!

devilwoman

Visit site
Ouch that sounds terrible and very frightening, personally having just been through an unplanned exit (no-where near as bad as yours though) I know how hard it is to make the decision as to whether to push on because we love them or give it up, good luck with whatever decision you make x

Marydoll

Visit site
It doesnt matter what caused this horse to go off on one, its not what you thought you were getting. Horses with issues like this imho need the rider to be well up for the challenge, and want to be there,its to hard mentally and physically if you'd rather not be doing it,and that just adds another problem to the mix.
There is no shame in not putting your life at risk,I'd back of and tell them to take it back

McNally

Visit site
No the horse wasn't tied up, tbh it would never even occur to me to get on whilst tied up!
I suppose thats the thing here- even if i decided to cope and try to deal with this horse again its not what i want and i made no secret of what i was looking for. The person who arranged this knew and the owner knew and knows
The thing is if i get on and ride him perfectly and we spend the next few years hacking no problem i will still never feel happy on him so as horses are expensive he does have to go back. :-(

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I know what my opinion of 'the friend' and your YO is, after off loading this poor horse onto you, as an unasked for, gift.

You, on the other hand, are far too kind and compassionate for your own good. Sadly, it was a happy day when this horse came to you, poor lad.
My suggestion would be that the orginal owner or YO get him sorted under saddle or give you free livery and hay or take him back.
Most certainly, not your fault.

I completely agree with this poster! Horse ownership must be enjoyable - it's too expensive a hobby. You didn't want a pet - you want a horse to ride. I think your friend is being very unfair and gosh where is her conscience? I wouldn't advise anyone to ride a horse they have come off and in this case there clearly is something amiss.
A friend of a good friend of mine now has brain damage through a fall from a rehab ex racer. It's too late to regret after an accident and if you are unhappy now do not let people influence you through pressure. Good luck!

McNally

Visit site
Hi Baked bean- Yes i'm not big and my daughters pony is 14.3 so can ride him. He's only 4 so would actually benefit from a bit of "adult" riding really. He's a bit cheeky and can try it on slightly but i trust him completely, he's worth his weight in gold!

amage

Visit site
What do you think? I dont know if i'm being a complete wimp! I know his owner and my friend who arranged it think its something to do with me as apparently he has never done anything before (i have however spoken to a few jockeys who used to know him and dont think thats true)

Jockeys are tough, if they say it's a sod with a history of that behaviour send it straight back to wherever it came from and get rid before you get killed. If anyone tries to make you feel bad ask them why they put you in the position to require hospitalisation twice! The fact that it's a gp saddle makes no bloody difference...the horse is dangerous. If the supposedly reputable licensed training who gave it to you refuses to take it back I would be contacting the press and ROR as trainers doing this is stupid, dangerous and does nothing for the bad ex racer rep out there. I genuinely think that racing is nothing to do with this horses problems but it is going to kill you if you keep going with it. To be brutally honest I am surprised they risked gifting him to someone if he has a reputation. No rehab for a horse is worth such human risk.

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Hi there,

Firstly you are far from being a wimp!!!! :eek: this sounds like a terrifying ordeal and I personally would not get back on him. I would return him and like the poster above said- get one who is safe and trustworthy. Someone who is very experienced in dealing with problematic horses may be able to deal with this horse but for the average rider (assuming you are :D) I think this is just too much to risk. This horse sounds as though it could really do some damage to itself, you or someone else. If it was the latter, I would expect that you would not be able to forgive yourself. Its a sad situation, but you have done your best with the horse. Sometimes its best to 'admit defeat' and do the sensible and safest thing

best of luck x