Aggressive off lead dogs - wwyd?

imperialbay

New User
Visit site
Long time reader, first time poster here...

I regularly walk my dogs on a public footpath through some fields. On Monday, I passed by a dog walker I haven’t seen before who was walking 4 Rottweilers. To cut a long story short, they were all off lead and the person walking them had no control over them. Cut to four growling Rottweilers in the faces of my two (on lead) small dogs. Apparently it was my fault that this happened due to not giving the person walking them enough time to get them back on their leads...Needless to say I was rather threatened by the whole thing.

I was about to go down this path again today when another walker advised me to go a different route due to these same four Rottweilers having just threatened her and her dog.

While these dogs haven’t yet bitten another dog, It’s not very pleasant to encounter four aggressive dogs with poor recall off lead. Does anyone know of anything that could be done about this? I doubt the dog warden would be interested because they haven’t actually done anything apart from growl at other dogs/owners. That said, they don’t appear to be under control and two of them seem to have had some sort of makeshift muzzles on.

Thank you! (Sorry for the essay!)

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I reported off lead dogs to my dog warden, the only reason there wasn't a fight is because I held my dog away and roared at them.
DW was very helpful, asked for a description, said he would stop by the area.

I would use voice, body, whatever I had to hand (without getting flamed!!) to protect my dog. He's about 30kg, he avoids other dogs but if they get in his face he will attempt to defend himself
If their dog gets a negative experience, it's their problem, not mine, mine is under control, theirs isn't, it's their job to train them, not mine.

Last edited:

teddypops

Visit site
Definitely report it. If the loose dogs are a concern to you (or anyone) and the owner doesn’t address these concerns, the dog warden will go and speak to them. I know this as there was a similar incident by my house involving a friend of my husband and a big loose dog. The owner of the loose dog was spoken to and it is now kept on a lead.

emilylou

Visit site
Report it, carry a hunting whip when walking and use it on the dogs if they come close. Sorry. I have no mercy with this kind of thing.
Had a similar problem with dogs on our farm, owner wasn’t happy but I said if you can’t control your dogs then I will.
Funny, they soon learnt to keep them under control after that.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I carried a dressage whip for a while. Not to make contact but for the whooshy noise and to give the other owner a visual. I hope people realise the level of stress my dog and I were under, having been attacked several times, because of her rubbish ownership, to have to resort to that.

I have known of plenty of people walk with sticks that they don't actually need. Wouldn't be my cup of tea but having been stuck in the middle of two dogs, with the other owner miles away, I wouldn't blame an older or more vulberable person.

Bellasophia

Visit site
You are talking about four Rottweilers,four.
If you were to show aggression to them ,the results could be fatal for your dog ,or even you.I believe they would respond as a pack.
I would absolutely get the warden involved,this scenario would be explosive if triggered.
My own dog ,st poodle in avatar,was attacked when he was 10 m by one offlead rottweiller.My husband was with me and it took us many minutes ,my husband kicking the dog,to get him off my dog. It was an unprovoked attack,the dog came across the park making a beeline for my on lead male dog.
I would also change your route until this is sorted .The dog walker sounds really casual in her duty and the next time could be more serious.

GSD Woman

Visit site
If the dog walker doesn't persuade the Rottie owner to do right would your dogs tolerate an air horn being blown? That will stop a lot of dogs. Or, would pepper spray or a tazer be an option?

imperialbay

New User
Visit site
If the dog walker doesn't persuade the Rottie owner to do right would your dogs tolerate an air horn being blown? That will stop a lot of dogs. Or, would pepper spray or a tazer be an option?

A tazer?! They’re definitely illegal in the UK. I think I’ll start by talking to the dog warden... An air horn might be a good idea if trouble persists though...

DirectorFury

Visit site
**Disclaimer: I am not advocating this and it is incredibly illegal in the UK, with legal penalties on par with carrying an unlicensed handgun. **
OMG, A tazer, where on earth would you get one of those.
As well buying them off eBay (they’re advertised as cow movers or something daft), you can make them quite easily out of an old disposable camera.

Highly illegal and also not exactly practical if you can only taser one dog at a time when there’s 4 of them!

Pepper spray is also illegal in the UK.

Dog warden and avoiding that walking route is probably best, it sucks to “lose” a route because of other owners being irresponsible though :(.

{97702}

Visit site
**Disclaimer: I am not advocating this and it is incredibly illegal in the UK, with legal penalties on par with carrying an unlicensed handgun. **

As well buying them off eBay (they’re advertised as cow movers or something daft), you can make them quite easily out of an old disposable camera.

Highly illegal and also not exactly practical if you can only taser one dog at a time when there’s 4 of them!

Pepper spray is also illegal in the UK.

Dog warden and avoiding that walking route is probably best, it sucks to “lose” a route because of other owners being irresponsible though :(.

Now wondering how DF knows these things.... ???

Clodagh

Visit site
I would go somewhere else, after contacting the dog warden. When I lived in Australia an elderly woman was killed by a pack of rottweilers, the police were originally looking for a man with an axe, she was sp badly damaged. Sorry if TMI but it really was the most shocking thing I have ever heard and I have regarded Rotties with grave suspicion ever since. (And yes I know people on here have and love them - but the size of their heads!

skinnydipper

Visit site
After one of my dogs suffered severe injuries (she lost 2 mouthfuls of muscle on her back) when she was the victim of an unprovoked attack, I bought a Petsafe SprayShield spray (citronella).

I used it when I witnessed a BRT x Giant Schnauzer attack another dog and then come for my gang. I went in front of my dogs and sprayed it which gave the owner enough time to come and retrieve it. That dog was eventually euthanized but not before several dogs needed veterinary treatment and a JRT nearly died when it suffered injuries to its throat and its back was scalped

My GSD was attacked when he was on lead by an out of control dog with an owner on his phone. The dog ran at him and I had no time to get the spray out of my pocket. It would have ended badly had my husband not been with me, I restrained the big lad and OH hauled the lab back to its owner.

There is a warning on the SprayShield can: "May not stop all animals. SprayShield is very effective in stopping low to medium level aggression. However, a small percentage of dogs are so strongly motivated that no known spray deterrent is effective - physical restraint is the only way to stop an attack from these animals."

This spray might be more effective than the citronella spray. Bear in mind you need time to access the spray and, if its like the citronella spray, you also need to shake it before use.

BiteBack spray.

"Formerly known as BiteBack, K917 is a deterrent spray for formulated specifically canines, it comes in an compact 50ml hand held aerosol spray. It works by creating a vapour cloud around the dog's muzzle, masking the air with the smell and taste of their special formulation. The unique blend of natural oils deters the dog's natural impulse to bite. Most importantly unlike traditional pepper sprays which can prove lethal to dogs, K917 has absolutely no lasting effects and typically after 10 -20 minutes the dog will make a full recovery."

https://www.police-supplies.co.uk/k917-dog-deterrent-spray

Last edited:

imperialbay

New User
Visit site
After one of my dogs suffered severe injuries (she lost 2 mouthfuls of muscle on her back) when she was the victim of an unprovoked attack, I bought a Petsafe SprayShield spray (citronella).

I used it when I witnessed a BRT x Giant Schnauzer attack another dog and then come for my gang. I went in front of my dogs and sprayed it which gave the owner enough time to come and retrieve it. That dog was eventually euthanized but not before several dogs needed veterinary treatment and a JRT nearly died when it suffered injuries to its throat and its back was scalped

My GSD was attacked when he was on lead by an out of control dog with an owner on his phone. The dog ran at him and I had no time to get the spray out of my pocket. It would have ended badly had my husband not been with me, I restrained the big lad and OH hauled the lab back to its owner.

There is a warning on the SprayShield can: "May not stop all animals. SprayShield is very effective in stopping low to medium level aggression. However, a small percentage of dogs are so strongly motivated that no known spray deterrent is effective - physical restraint is the only way to stop an attack from these animals."

This spray might be more effective than the citronella spray. Bear in mind you need time to access the spray and, if its like the citronella spray, you also need to shake it before use.

BiteBack spray.

"Formerly known as BiteBack, K917 is a deterrent spray for formulated specifically canines, it comes in an compact 50ml hand held aerosol spray. It works by creating a vapour cloud around the dog's muzzle, masking the air with the smell and taste of their special formulation. The unique blend of natural oils deters the dog's natural impulse to bite. Most importantly unlike traditional pepper sprays which can prove lethal to dogs, K917 has absolutely no lasting effects and typically after 10 -20 minutes the dog will make a full recovery."

https://www.police-supplies.co.uk/k917-dog-deterrent-spray

Thank you very much. I didn’t know something like this existed. I’ll definitely order some just in case.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I love Rotts but it was a humongous Rott cross (and variously someone else's Labradoodles, a Springer X and a chocolate lab...) that gave me the most grief.