Agree? Or Disagree? (Stolen from Facebook)

texenstar

Visit site
I just saw this posted on the British Dressage Facebook site and thought it would be fun to do on H and H.

The idea is that someone makes a statement and everyone else comments with only 'Agree' or 'Disagree'. No personalised attacks or arguments, just a simple review of people's opinions :)

I'll go first, the one on FB started with 'Draw reins can be useful if used correctly'.

I disagree with this. My statement is-

Understanding correct biomechanical movement in horses is important for all riders of all ages (including non dressage riding owners). As improving a horse's way of going improves its health and longevity :)

I hope this all makes sense, some of the statements on the FB thread are really interesting!

:)

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Agree.

My statement: barefoot isn't necessarily 'better' for the horse.

Disagree.
Statement - it depends really how you define barefoot. Hoof coverings that do not put unnatural forces through the hoof structure could be preferable to barefoot.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Agree.

Mine is 'the majority of behavioral issues are due to some sort of pain'

Disagree.
Statement - again, it depends how you define 'behavioural issue' but most people consider it to be anything we humans don't like/find difficult, and that means diddly squat to a horse unless it is trained. If it had been 'sudden behavioural issues' I would have said agree.

Mule

Visit site
Regarding drawreins, I'm completely ignorant about them. I have seen someone use them to try to control a very fresh horse.

However, from what I've read the controversy is that some people use them to get an outline. Does this work by bit pressure? And if so, why would a horse be so resistant that such strong rein aids would be required? I presume a lot of leg would have to be used to avoid the horse adopting a fake outline and coming behind the bit.

Also, I've noticed they are very popular with showjumpers. How do they help in that discipline? I presume they must be helpful somehow or they wouldn't be used so much.

Last edited:

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
What problems do they help with?

Can't work out a way how to give my 2p within the parameters of the post :p but I think of draw reins being kind of like an instantly adjustable martingale. You don't ride off them all the time, they are there to stop the horse from getting its head above the point of control, for me (the difference between that and a martingale is that you can define that point yourself at any given moment with draw reins, and also remove their effect entirely without changing your tack around) - so that give some clues as to the kinds of situations that they can be genuinely useful.

I last used them on a mature horse that had gradually unravelled in its way of going to the point where it had almost forgotten how to do a canter transition under saddle, rushed off with its head WAY up in the air, out of control scuttling and almost without fail went on the wrong leg losing its balance and panicking. Tricky one to resolve, we obv worked on the walk/trot suppleness, reactions and balance first but it was then easy to show her that she could just pop into canter IF she didn't do the head vertical almost bolting reaction first. Sometimes it helps to have a training aid of some description to just stop a situation escalating so the horse can do some learning while it's not being hysterical.

I've also used them on a horse that would spook badly out hacking and flip out, with the draw reins i could stop it from getting out of control so we could continue in safety.

Mule

Visit site
Can't work out a way how to give my 2p within the parameters of the post :p but I think of draw reins being kind of like an instantly adjustable martingale. You don't ride off them all the time, they are there to stop the horse from getting its head above the point of control, for me (the difference between that and a martingale is that you can define that point yourself at any given moment with draw reins, and also remove their effect entirely without changing your tack around) - so that give some clues as to the kinds of situations that they can be genuinely useful.

I last used them on a mature horse that had gradually unravelled in its way of going to the point where it had almost forgotten how to do a canter transition under saddle, rushed off with its head WAY up in the air, out of control scuttling and almost without fail went on the wrong leg losing its balance and panicking. Tricky one to resolve, we obv worked on the walk/trot suppleness, reactions and balance first but it was then easy to show her that she could just pop into canter IF she didn't do the head vertical almost bolting reaction first. Sometimes it helps to have a training aid of some description to just stop a situation escalating so the horse can do some learning while it's not being hysterical.

I've also used them on a horse that would spook badly out hacking and flip out, with the draw reins i could stop it from getting out of control so we could continue in safety.

Thank you, I understand now.

Queenbee

Visit site
My statement:

Horses should live out, alll horses prefer to live out as nature intended.

Disagree - Tell that to the Beast (no seriously, please tell that to the Beast, he must have missed the memo!)

Hazkirbo

www.instagram.com
My statement:

Disagree - Tell that to the Beast (no seriously, please tell that to the Beast, he must have missed the memo!)

Disagree. My horse throws a massive tantrum being left out in the rain (unless rugged). He also can’t cope with 24/7 turnout. He’d be obese!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
My statement:

Disagree -

Not all horses like being Nature Horse (mine would ideally like to be Pampered In 24/7 Horse).

alainax

Visit site
My Statement - You can ride light.

Disagree - It's semantics, but we have it backwards - people can ride heavy. You can't make yourself physically lighter in the saddle, but you can be less of a burden. 12 stone is 12stone, But a fit agile 12stone could be less of a burden than a 10stone person riding "heavy" by being more cumbersome banging around up there.

The reason I think it is important that it is the right way around, is so "riding light" is not used as an excuse to over burden a horse in terms of weight, but also that ineptitude can be "weighted" and not always the case that a lighter rider is less of a burden.

( I don't know if I got the game right! )

Last edited:

fburton

Visit site
Understanding correct biomechanical movement in horses is important ...
What is "correct biomechanical movement" and how is it differenet from "correct movement"? Are people really expected to understand biomechanics?

(Or is it like "statistically" in "statistically, you are the weakest link"?)

texenstar

Visit site
What is "correct biomechanical movement" and how is it differenet from "correct movement"? Are people really expected to understand biomechanics?

(Or is it like "statistically" in "statistically, you are the weakest link"?)

Hi,

I probably could have worded it better but what I meant from that statement is that it is important for all riders to understand how a horse should be moving, why that is, and how to improve movement. Ultimately, it is difficult to correct a movement without understanding the processes behind it and what part of the horses body is suffering from that incorrect movement.

Hope that makes more sense!

Woah

Visit site
Hi,

I probably could have worded it better but what I meant from that statement is that it is important for all riders to understand how a horse should be moving, why that is, and how to improve movement. Ultimately, it is difficult to correct a movement without understanding the processes behind it and what part of the horses body is suffering from that incorrect movement.

THIS ^
My statement:
For a horse to be considered sound it should track fully up in both walk AND trot.

My opinion: false
Some horses will never fully track up in trot as dependent on conformation e.g. Straight hocked and long backed may mean unable to fully track up, but improvements may be made through correct training.

fburton

Visit site
Hi,

Hope that makes more sense!
Thanks, texenstar - it does make sense!