Ahhh first show out in nearly 2 years!!!

SpottyTB

Visit site
I'll start off by saying i am not really sure why i am posting, but i've been wanting to get into the Comp and training side of the forum for a while - to give me a bit of motivation really!

I've got a 16.2 8yo warmblood, who hasn't been overly easy but i still think he is wonderful (even if i want to kill him for throwing himself across the road from a terrifying ... stone). Hugo started lockdown in true style by removing the back of his knee, fast forward trying to die twice and 10 weeks of field rest we are up and running again - hoorah!

I've always been a bit laid back with him, i've had him since he was 6 months old and i took backing/riding him on really really slowly with lots of holidays. A friend of mine (also a great instructor) took the ride on him last year as i completely lost interest and she got him going really really well, and also made me do bits and bobs on him to prove i could do it!

So we're post injury now, he's feeling good, maybe slightly chunky (but hugely funky) and we're ready to get motivated to go out and actually do something. Tomorrow we've entered a local indoor SJ at 70 and 80 - already i am bullying myself about this, i was schooling him over 110 back in Feb - but in reality, i'm terrified and he's green with the whole "going out to parties" thing, having only been out twice.

So it's' a good start, right?
Again, sorry for the random post - i'm not sure what i was posting for, just maybe a way in to this side of the forum!!

j1ffy

Visit site
Ditto PF!

Maybe write down what you want to achieve - it can be very simple “get on while he’s calm”, “have a relaxed trot in the warm up”, “go into the main arena without napping”. Whatever you want to achieve. Then look back afterwards and tick them off! Keep it simple and achievable and have fun!!

SpottyTB

Visit site
Ditto PF!

Maybe write down what you want to achieve - it can be very simple “get on while he’s calm”, “have a relaxed trot in the warm up”, “go into the main arena without napping”. Whatever you want to achieve. Then look back afterwards and tick them off! Keep it simple and achievable and have fun!!

Oh I absolutely love this idea!! I’m getting straight onto a list now, I have to admit he’s pretty good to handle and do at shows, it’s purely tenseness and being terrified ?.

Thanks PF, hopefully it’ll be a positive report ?!!

Thanks pinkvboots, just got to get out there and get started! I used to love competing and did so much on my little spotty, just got a bit out of my comfort zone and lost the passion with him! Shame as he never really got a chance, well now we do!

SpottyTB

Visit site
Well we made it back in one piece, and even better with two frillys!!!

He was such a good chap, warmed up nicely - definitely thought we were there for dressage! He was, as predicted, terrified and needed a lot of riding in the first class - luckily they weren’t big. He actually only have one down and that was due to him trying to duck out (typically it was the least scary fence)! We got 4th!

Second round was bigger and he felt more confident, I was actually able to pick him up and shorten/lengthen without any fighting or running through the bridle. Annoyingly he had a bit of a wobble at the same fence as above, even tho he didn’t try to duck out but wobbled and left a lazy hind leg. We got a 2nd and a tonne of lovely comments.

I am absolutely thrilled with him, he was calm and collected and really tried hard. Neither of us got too flustered and actually the rounds weren’t too untidy! A good first trip out I’d say.. onwards and upwards to dressage next weekend (same venue)!

Thank you all for your good luck wishes and words of wisdom ? A3469BD2-BC52-41D3-9728-760620A6A072.jpegD95E0BEC-C4ED-4850-9E4A-8FF8EF8C604F.jpeg161D4705-1C4F-4A41-94A3-B2A38D56CA57.jpeg