ahhh wish I had kept mare where she was!!!!

hihosilver

Visit site
Yes, this is what I would do. Use your best charm offensive and nicely explain (well, remind as I am sure she know deep down) that if yours or any of the horses have to go for long periods without food then they will lose weight and possibly colic, imply that this will be her fault and that she needs to change her ways. It makes me SO ANGRY that someone would not allow hay in their fields because it won't look pretty. Jesus, what do they expect, plus if its a knee deep bog anyway is a bit of hay going to make it any worse?

If she didn't adapt I would leave without notice, just because. She can stuff her facilities I would sooner drive further afield to find somewhere that offered both.

Good advice I will try this tomorrow and let you know what happens :D:D

Queenbee

Visit site
ADVICE!!!!!! mmm from about 2 people the rest have been scaremongers re colic and stuff!!! honestly to think I rescued her from Ireland in such a worse state destined for meat.... and yes I feel bad but I am bringing her in every day and feeding her and she has 2 rugs on and she has been out for 2 years in the best grazing I was advised to pts but have kept her and was thrilled to be able to be working her again. She is one lucky mare!!!!

Op with the best will in the world grow up! I gave advice to section off, feed hay and stay or go... The far preferable option... Near as damn it every one on here has given advice to leave. No one is scaremongering... What the hell do you think a horses tummy is designed to process? What on earth do you think is going to happen to a horse purely fed on high calorie (probably sugar and starch packed feed)? You say all horses are to be kept in and that means there is no stable during the day or night now for your horse... Now you say that she will be in at day. You say you could move back, then you say finding somewhere isn't easy, you say you horses welfare is paramount, then you say facilities are most important, you say it's coming back from an injury... Lets hope in a field full of slippery mud with other hungry horses it doesn't get another one!

The advice is Simple and straight forward, move if yo will not let you section off your horse and provide forage. I assume you are paying grass livery since you do not have a stable.... Well then she has to provide that and in the absence of actual grass, she needs to provide forage.

It is quite clear to everyone on here you do not want to move her, even if you stick it out, do you know the effects on the body caused by starvation, starvation doesn't mean a skinny horse, it means when it's malnourished and certainly your horse will be. I also suggest you look at the effects and dangerous implications of not feeding forage before you call people scaremongers.

Seems to me you are not liking what you hear and are coming up with a load of *insert your own word* to make it seem not so dire, and more acceptable.

Bottom line you know what your horse is being subjected to by YO and you (in your compliance) is completely wrong, otherwise you would not have posted on here. Oh, and if your title says you think you made a mistake and everyone else is agreeing... Generally that means you have!

hihosilver

Visit site
Op with the best will in the world grow up! I gave advice to section off, feed hay and stay or go... The far preferable option... Near as damn it every one on here has given advice to leave. No one is scaremongering... What the hell do you think a horses tummy is designed to process? What on earth do you think is going to happen to a horse purely fed on high calorie (probably sugar and starch packed feed)? You say all horses are to be kept in and that means there is no stable during the day or night now for your horse... Now you say that she will be in at day. You say you could move back, then you say finding somewhere isn't easy, you say you horses welfare is paramount, then you say facilities are most important, you say it's coming back from an injury... Lets hope in a field full of slippery mud with other hungry horses it doesn't get another one!

The advice is Simple and straight forward, move if yo will not let you section off your horse and provide forage. I assume you are paying grass livery since you do not have a stable.... Well then she has to provide that and in the absence of actual grass, she needs to provide forage.

It is quite clear to everyone on here you do not want to move her, even if you stick it out, do you know the effects on the body caused by starvation, starvation doesn't mean a skinny horse, it means when it's malnourished and certainly your horse will be. I also suggest you look at the effects and dangerous implications of not feeding forage before you call people scaremongers.

Seems to me you are not liking what you hear and are coming up with a load of *insert your own word* to make it seem not so dire, and more acceptable.

Bottom line you know what your horse is being subjected to by YO and you (in your compliance) is completely wrong, otherwise you would not have posted on here. Oh, and if your title says you think you made a mistake and everyone else is agreeing... Generally that means you have!

No I mean I will tie her up with a haynet and feed not bring her in to a stable

florette

New User
Visit site
I'm normally just a lurker on here, but, are you quite mad? :eek: I can't believe anyone could/would leave a horse with nothing to eat for 22 hours a day??

Queenbee

Visit site
Now that tells me you do not know what you are talking about. I have a hons degree in Equine Science. Do NOT insult my intelligence.
I didn't know they were giving them out in Christmas crackers last year... Do you think they will be giving hons degrees in equine science out with Christmas crackers this year or do you reckon it will be a different subject... Perhaps forensic science?

Tinypony

Visit site
No I mean I will tie her up with a haynet and feed not bring her in to a stable

Not enough. I have three living out 24/7 and they can only do it and stay well because they get as much hay as they need to eat when the grass goes and the weather is bad.

I think we're wasting our breath aren't we? (Experience means just that - they've had some sort of experience, it doesn't equal somebody knowing how to do things well).

Queenbee

Visit site
I can see hay might cause a problem. However he had lost a lot of weight as well. I would not travel a horse for this long again without hay. I just don't think it fair. He passed a 5 stage before....no sign of any ulcers. Now I have to put him through starving again for 24 hours to be scoped and expense of gastroguard... He is of course insured.

Taken from and other thread by op...

But you would subject your horse to 22 hrs without forage... You are a genius!

Tinypony

Visit site
Yesterday:
"I am unable to feed hay atm as YO thinks horses fight over it when living out there is no grass just mud but my ISH mare is doing well. I am feeding her fast fibre and nuts and she looks well. She has dropped off a bit this week as it has been so cold. I have only been doing this though for a month prior to this she had good grass and haylage. I moved her so I would have a school and jumps but I think I defo jumped the gun and should have waited another month."
Rapid deterioration in mare overnight.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
OP seriously are you honestly for real or are you on a wind up. You have a negative answer for everything practical, a nasty answer for anything questioning you, so really tell us,

WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM THIS THREAD?

All it seems you want is for people to say just hang on it will be fine the grass will put the weight back on her, continue to work her, encourage her to scoff as much food in a short space of time, and exacerbate her ulcers as it will all be ok once the rain and snow stops :)

There did I get it right????

Star_Chaser

Visit site
I haven't read through everything on here its a long thread but given your opening post and subsequent advice that has been given if your not prepared to take it then I can't see why you would ask in the first place.

My horse I'd be moving back to where you could feed hay ad lib even if the fields are usually good they won't be this year we've had shocking whether and it will take a while for them to recover as and when we get some decent weather and if the damage is repaired with reseeding/resting for some. Lots of people I know are very worried about the damage to their fields.

Queenbee

Visit site
There are words that I would like to use that would undoubtedly describe op to a t but I would 100% be given a holiday.

I would just like to point out op that HHO is a controversial forum, often with many different opinions, even when a heated topic is discussed there are generally a number of people jumping to defend posters or when there is a minority opinion it is still held by more than one poster.

Never seen a thread until now where no one could and would ever agree with you or defend a poster. Congrats on a HHO first.

Lets just hope that at the end of it you still have a mare to use with those nice fancy facilities.

ELFSBELLS

Visit site
You have had plenty of good advice on here, you say you are experienced, I beg to differ, you would in all honesty not allow your horse to go without fibre for the best part of 24 hrs, please heed the advise you have been given for the sake of your horse, with or without this awful weather ( with no grass ) you have a duty of care as the owner to provide for your horse, your YO sounds like a mental case, MOVE !!

platypus

Visit site
Also im guessing you aren't also keeping your mare alone..so therefore must be other horses living out 24/7 aswell due to the field being 'shut' what are they eating? Do their owners agree with YO rules?

Queenbee

Visit site
Is this the same horse that had ulcers??? Just that in that post the horse is a he & in this one a mare????:confused::confused:
Not sure... May be the one who had a fractured neck... Maybe both, probably will have ulcers before long anyway poor wee thing. Still, the yard has jumps and a school and everyfink... Except for grass - or forage (but that's no biggie):rolleyes:

Right... Leaving now!

Moomin1

Visit site
Now that tells me you do not know what you are talking about. I have a hons degree in Equine Science. Do NOT insult my intelligence.

I have a degree in Equine Science.

It was the most worthless degree imaginable.

On a plus note, I partied like an animal!! It was great fun!

Delicious_D

Visit site
The parties at uni were great :D the degree is useless but having a degree helped me get into my chosen job. :D

So i think we can all safely assume OP is telling a few porkies?

Visit site
Normally a lurker but couldn't read and run.

Reading your other thread "Why do people travel horses on long journeys without hay??", I'm a bit perplexed as to how your thought processes seem to have suffered a complete and utter U-turn. From "I think if you read all the latest research on ulcers they can form quickly and vets say the worst thing to do now is to starve them of high fibre. I have just bought some Dengie healthy tummy so am going to try this. In the light of this new research I think the long journey transporters need to re-think their policies." to this.
You are aware this situation is much worse... right? :confused: The horse who travelled was only without forage for 7 hours on a single occasion, not 22 and repeatedly.

Forget the transporters' policies, I think yours may be in need of a touch-up.

Last edited: