Aintree Day 1

Fools Motto

Visit site
Horrible! Hope he is on the mend soon.

As for todays race, I was willing AP his fairy-tale ending, but loved Many Clouds. Lovely horse. Really hope BK will be ok, he may have been standing, but he sure did take a fair whack and I'd be worried for the rest of him. Poor boy.

starr_g

Visit site
Heard on 5 Live that Balthazar King is up and walking. I bet on him but you don't care about wee bits of dosh when that happens and well done Ruby with the flag.

x-di-x

Visit site
Balthazar King is one incredibly lucky horse! He got galloped into when half up. You never wish any horse to come down but BK is such a wee legend in his own right I doubt many people enjoyed the rest of the race, especially when they bypassed the fence again. Ruby - fair play to him grabbed a flag to make sure that no one interfered with the vets doing their job. I bet a few jocks were relived not to have to jump the Turn again!

Aspell should have got off sooner, people should have told him to get off sooner. Yes the occasion may have got to him again but someone, anyone should have got him off sooner. I know myself the first thing I do is check the eyes as that's where you see the first signs off issues and if I have one then the jockeys are off before they know it!

It's easy for us to say all that at home but we are not the ones who have just won the National! But at least this year they did say to the public this is what's happening, this is why the horse isn't coming back into the enclosure et al. Keeping the public in the loop is the best way forward.

x-di-x I am just down by Milnathort, I work for Lucinda Russell :)

Ahhhh lucky you. Lucinda's got some lovely horses on her yard. Some very nice ones of Geoff brown! We'll have a mutual friend in common.... Works for Geoff up here..... X

Mariposa

Visit site
.. and it's not often a NH horse needs ponied to the start, although from his last couple of starts, Days of Heaven can be a bit crazy.

The horse accompanying him was one of Sarah Henderson's lovely polo ponies :)

I read that Balthazar King walked onto the horse ambulance and has broken ribs, and will be ok. Fair play to Ruby for rushing to help.

And as for Many Clouds - well done and all that but I really thought he was about to have a heart attack afterwards, he was practically staggering, it was scary stuff.