Aintree Day 3 - Grand National Day

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
They've just said Éclair Surf being assessed and missed that one out the replay

One ploughed through the barrier in the catching pen hopefully it's ok

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Blimey, the winning trainer is a bit of all right :cool:

I thought that but didn't dare post it ??

They've said the horses are back but Éclair Surf and Discorama especially are still being assessed. D's back end looked completely wrong on the replay so I fear for him, also Anibale Fly, who should never have been running in it, got tangled up badly in the ES incident so hope he's OK and gets to retire

Visit site
I haven't watched the race as I was driving but I listened to it and I was screaming Sam home! I am sure the people around me on the by pass thought I was nuts ?? He is such a lovely guy and thoroughly well deserved! Not only has he won the Gold Cup as an Amatuer he has now won a National too!

Our horse is fine, to be honest I am surprised he went as far as he did.

Velcrobum

Visit site
Here are some interesting facts Ahoy Senor and Corach Rambler have both beaten Noble Yates the GN winner this year!! However Sam was not riding him on those occasions. It was a stunning ride by an Amateur and he also holds the title of most successful jockey over the national fences.............

Visit site
Here are some interesting facts Ahoy Senor and Corach Rambler have both beaten Noble Yates the GN winner this year!! However Sam was not riding him on those occasions. It was a stunning ride by an Amateur and he also holds the title of most successful jockey over the national fences.............

AS is a gold cup horse through and through. Corach will probably go down the National route next year.

bonny

Visit site
Lots of horses have beaten him in this his first season chasing. I wonder why they thought he could do well in the National, he’s really too young and too inexperienced. Or he was ?

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I'm trying to find out about Anibale Fly, who I wasn't happy to see running in it as he looked more in need of retirement, I thought he went round loose after getting up after a pause, but may have looked a bit lame at times

I thought he was OK as he followed them round (one at the back with the sheepskin noseband,) but the minimal access I'm getting using Twitter Search (I don't have an account) is saying he was one of the ones being assessed....

Buzz was recently saved after a pelvic injury, sad to see Discorama couldn't be

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Pelvis injuries are hard ones. A crack can be fixed. A slight displacement can be fixed. A full displacement can't really, and that's if the bone hasn't cut the artery and they are bleeding internally.

Ah ok that's interesting, I just hope they didn't try moving him too quickly/making him walk (I couldn't see him when they came round again) and made it worse. I presume if you suspect one you need to try and keep them as still as possible/ minimal movement?
It looked like BC was quick to pull him up, and I'm sure vets were there but he'd disappeared quite quickly. Know the displacement or bleed could have occurred in the initial injury

Visit site
Yes you need to pretty much immobilise them which is hard when you are bringing them off of the track. It will have been done very slowly given you dont know the exact injury at that point. The ambulances are very low to the ground so no need to climb in. They walk straight out of the front in a straight line too. The tow hitch swivels sideways out of the way, it's very clever.

SilverLinings

Visit site
Ah ok that's interesting, I just hope they didn't try moving him too quickly/making him walk (I couldn't see him when they came round again) and made it worse. I presume if you suspect one you need to try and keep them as still as possible/ minimal movement?
It looked like BC was quick to pull him up, and I'm sure vets were there but he'd disappeared quite quickly. Know the displacement or bleed could have occurred in the initial injury

If it's a catastrophic fracture then it doesn't matter how quickly you pull up, the damage has been done. As Elf said, if an artery is severed then they bleed to death internally (although hopefully are PTS quickly to avoid this). It also depends on exactly where in the pelvis the fracture is, whether there is more than one fracture line, and whether a piece has broken away. Racehorses are also immensely fit, so the strength of their own muscles whilst running (if the fracture occurs during racing) can pull the bone apart further.

The fracture is more likely to be survivable if there is no displacement, but there is a relatively high chance of displacement if the fracture occurs whilst the horse is galloping (and the adrenaline in a race means that the horse unfortunately doesn't help itself as they tend to try to keep running if they can). The adrenaline also means that a horse can look reasonably ok when pulled up, but be far worse once they reach the stable block and the adrenaline levels start to drop- and at that point the vet may have discovered the prognosis was worse than appeared on the track.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Thanks both, that's really interesting, especially how the muscle can detach the bone further, and how innovative the ambulance is.

Just hoping they didn't make it worse by thinking it wasn't too bad so moved him out the way (can't think of a better term). I couldn't see him/ screens, usually they bypass the fence/ area to allow one to receive treatment, as they did with the ditch, but they didn't where he pulled up.

I'm not saying vets etc are at fault, as like you say it could well have reached the point of being fatal already, just thought he'd have been present on the track for longer, especially as he pulled up so lame theyd have needed to ease him into the ambulance, unless of course he was out of camera shot. Also, as you say he may have looked OK when pulled up then deteriorated.

Visit site
I've sat on 2 horses that have done pelvis's underneath me. Luckily both survived and went on to race again. It feels weird when it goes. You know something has gone very, very wrong behind and so you slam on the brakes. The last horse that did this was in autumn 2020 and I thought he had done a lower limb fracture. It didn't feel or look like a pelvis. So we splinted his leg up and gently walked him onto the box to be driven the 100m to his stable. We were all surprised when it came out as a pelvis. It honestly felt like fetlock or pastern. This was done at a good gallop in a piece of work. I will go and see if I have a pic of the scan still.

The yellow line should be straight. He broke the pelvis through completely and the bone displaced by a good few mm. This is about as bad as you can get away with fixing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220410-070550_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20220410-070550_WhatsApp.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 50

Sandstone1

Visit site
I get the winning jockey may be a nice guy but he broke the use of whip rules in the finish.... He also never mentioned the horse in the after race interview... He didnt do it on his own.

bluehorse

Visit site
Elle Est Belle wasn't running in the National. Discorama sadly broke his pelvis on the flat between fences, sometimes this can be fixed, sometimes it can't.
My mistake on Elle Est Belle. It doesn’t diminish her death though. I understand a broken pelvis can sometimes be fixed or not, I’ve fixed one of my own. That doesn’t make this race ok though, and now there is another death too.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Éclair Surf didn't look good, I thought he'd done a limb from the fall itself but maybe because he brought others down, that's when his head injury was caused

Hopefully Anibale Fly's soreness is easily treated and he gets retired

It doesn't look great the way major places said all horses ok/ back in the stables. Itv said during the replay ES and Discorama were receiving treatment

The trouble is it probably completely satisfied those who only care about betting whereas those of us who know horses could tell it looked bad so wanted a follow up as to the results of the "treatment". Probably most of the betting only people don't give a stuff.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I've sat on 2 horses that have done pelvis's underneath me. Luckily both survived and went on to race again. It feels weird when it goes. You know something has gone very, very wrong behind and so you slam on the brakes. The last horse that did this was in autumn 2020 and I thought he had done a lower limb fracture. It didn't feel or look like a pelvis. So we splinted his leg up and gently walked him onto the box to be driven the 100m to his stable. We were all surprised when it came out as a pelvis. It honestly felt like fetlock or pastern. This was done at a good gallop in a piece of work. I will go and see if I have a pic of the scan still.

The yellow line should be straight. He broke the pelvis through completely and the bone displaced by a good few mm. This is about as bad as you can get away with fixing.

Wow! And he survived? It must be an awful feeling, thank goodness you were able to pull up quickly as that probably saved him. How did they fix the displacement?

I think all racing yards should have some sort of social media so they can update about the horses for those interested eg how Elf's did about Mighty Thunder/ GE about his (I was reading the write up on racing post and it said Escaria 10 collapsed in the cool down area but fortunately was quickly back up). But for example Anibale Fly it's only through here I've found an update on him.