Aintree Grand National Meeting

Gamebird

Visit site
I do a double take if we drive along the Melling Road and spot the road name.

From the race commentary. ‘And now they are crossing the Melling Road’.

I forget that the course is laid out on either side of and crosses a major road.
Yes! I've been to Aintree many times, but only when racing. I had to go to the racecourse stables late in the evening in the dark a few weeks ago when no racing was on, and I really lost my bearings as I was completely unused to the Melling Road being open!

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I hope it's heavy or at least soft, they go far too fast on anything firmer and I think that's often a cause of trouble. I don't see it happening though I think it'll dry out. Like Game Bird, I'd far rather see sensible pulling up and less finishers than hammering fast over the fences. I watched Red Marauders race the other day and they're just popping the fences and while there were a couple of nasty falls, they sort of rolled down the fence rather than launched and crashed

Personally, I'm not a fan of the jumps being made lower, when they come round the second time they look so insignificant, plus again it encourages speed - if they're bigger they almost have to event over them. It also loses the prestige, although I think the smaller field size is a good decision. Didn't someone used to say the first circuit was all about getting into a good rhythm and popping round? Now they seem to just race the whole way. Once all the brush is dislodged, they look almost like hurdles

Not sure how I feel about Minella Indo running in it, he's won them a gold cup, now being entered in this which is still risky. Also Farouk someone on a racing forum said how he falls a lot, surely he's the type of horse the new screening requirements should stop - why are they entering him if it's not really safe for him? I also can't see Kitty's Light making it round, his jumping is iffy

I just hope GE doesn't win, and that ITV show the past winners parade. And show us all the horses not just the favourites for pitys sake!

I only bet a couple of pounds, I'll probably have something on Vanillier. I usually pick one of the fancied runners, a middle priced and a long one. We don't do sweepstake at work as not enough of us but in my old office I won it twice, ever since I got Mon Momme and dismissed him due to the 100-1 price tag I'd always put a couple of pound bet on who I got in the sweepstake, however don't have that to use anymore.

Last edited:

Orangehorse

Visit site
I won money on Red Marauder. And Red Alligator.

Of course we hope that that all get back safe and sound, that goes without saying and I get cross with lots of hand wringing about it. A racehorse is a working horse, it is like sending soldiers into battle. If it is so uncomfortable then don't watch.

Are there any horses with "red" in their name?

teapot

Visit site
I won money on Red Marauder. And Red Alligator.

Of course we hope that that all get back safe and sound, that goes without saying and I get cross with lots of hand wringing about it. A racehorse is a working horse, it is like sending soldiers into battle. If it is so uncomfortable then don't watch.

Are there any horses with "red" in their name?

Don't think so but this is a good read https://www.racingpost.com/news/the...es-when-the-mud-flew-at-aintree-a0Fnk4k2Mpxs/

Orangehorse

Visit site
I hope it's heavy or at least soft, they go far too fast on anything firmer and I think that's often a cause of trouble. I don't see it happening though I think it'll dry out. Like Game Bird, I'd far rather see sensible pulling up and less finishers than hammering fast over the fences. I watched Red Marauders race the other day and they're just popping the fences and while there were a couple of nasty falls, they sort of rolled down the fence rather than launched and crashed

Personally, I'm not a fan of the jumps being made lower, when they come round the second time they look so insignificant, plus again it encourages speed - if they're bigger they almost have to event over them. It also loses the prestige, although I think the smaller field size is a good decision. Didn't someone used to say the first circuit was all about getting into a good rhythm and popping round? Now they seem to just race the whole way. Once all the brush is dislodged, they look almost like hurdles

Not sure how I feel about Minella Indo running in it, he's won them a gold cup, now being entered in this which is still risky. Also Farouk someone on a racing forum said how he falls a lot, surely he's the type of horse the new screening requirements should stop - why are they entering him if it's not really safe for him? I also can't see Kitty's Light making it round, his jumping is iffy

I just hope GE doesn't win, and that ITV show the past winners parade. And show us all the horses not just the favourites for pitys sake!

I only bet a couple of pounds, I'll probably have something on Vanillier. I usually pick one of the fancied runners, a middle priced and a long one. We don't do sweepstake at work as not enough of us but in my old office I won it twice, ever since I got Mon Momme and dismissed him due to the 100-1 price tag I'd always put a couple of pound bet on who I got in the sweepstake, however don't have that to use anymore.

I can remember one horse being entered which was owned by a well known personality. I wondered why the trainer had agreed to enter it as it had a very iffy jumping style, it had form with some winnings, but I couldn't see that it would get round. Sadly, it didn't, fell and broke its shoulder, but I thought that it never should have been in the race.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I can remember one horse being entered which was owned by a well known personality. I wondered why the trainer had agreed to enter it as it had a very iffy jumping style, it had form with some winnings, but I couldn't see that it would get round. Sadly, it didn't, fell and broke its shoulder, but I thought that it never should have been in the race.

What year was the race? Intrigued who it was so will check on Racing post.

Feel sorry for Farouk, by his jumping he has no business being in the race, and owner and trainer have plenty of others so why risk him when others jump better and have more chance?

Birker2020

Visit site
That's not the point though is it, really? How can you get cross with people caring about what happens to these magnificent animals. And most of us don't watch, but you can't help but hear about the loss of life in the papers/news/conversations at work.
And surely it shouldn't be like sending soldiers into battle, knowing you are in all likelihood going to suffer casualties. Soldiers have a choice, racehorses don't when their instinct to run with the herd is overtaken by any trepidation they might have.

Anyway I am going to shut up now. I've put my point across.

webble

Visit site
Yet more heavy rain overnight in the area after a very wet weekend 😳.

More heavy rain forecast for the racecourse (met office app) for tomorrow, then a bit dryer, and dryish for the actual race days.
Yes rain was blowing sideways here when I was mucking out and has only got heavier. I am done with this now, Kelsall even closed their gallops for a day its that bad. The weekend forecast looks great

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Shame it's set to be dry on race days as can imagine it drying out the ground as they'll open up the turf racing on it

I'd rather slow ground, because the first circuit should then be more about hacking round, whereas the dryer it is, the faster they go, especially with the fences being made smaller they don't have to back off and set up as you would eventing, and I think that then opens up more for fatalities because the falls are at speed, onto harder ground.

I just hope the jockeys are instructed to pull up, I think the pros are generally sensible but I was watching a conditional race at utoxeter at the weekend and there was one out of contention but he was still driving along. I know you get cases like Hewick in the KG, but would there be a way of implementing something like at Badminton where stewards could radio to the people at the fences and ask them to flag to jockeys on a horse clearly struggling to pull up? I think I've seen comments during on the RP analysis which suggest they meet with the stewards if it's a fatality but could be a way of preventing that? I guess the difference is betting money is involved, however because at most I bet single figure pounds, I'd far rather see an out of contention tired horse pulled up than keep going and something happen.

As said the pros are generally sensible, although there was another utoxeter race where the horse landed almost on the fence, it'll be the Foxhunters that'll potentially be questionable - I do get it must be a highlight of their career to ride round these fences, however welfare should always come first, I hate seeing tired horses being made to continue when they have no chance

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I thought it was depressing viewing, the Red Marauder year and I hope it will be drier than that. I know it’s safe, but war of attrition is not a pleasant thing imo.
It was awful, but I was going round telling everyone to back him because I'd seen him run in similar, in person, and a lot of people laughed because they knew he was slow. I don't bet anyway so didn't miss out, but they did.

McGrools

Visit site
I’m about an hr away from Aintree and it hasn’t stopped raining very heavily all day today. I’d be thinking Thursday’s card might be in jeopardy. The ground will be heavy at least

saalsk

Visit site
I have a love / hate relation with jumps racing. I love it, have done since about 7 or 8. Glued to the TV to watch on saturday afternoons, always imagining the fences I jumped on my pony being the canal, the chair, beechers etc. Looking out of the window on long car journeys and jumping the hedges as we drove by... I loved Aldaniti, and Grittar, I backed Spartan Missile... I was sickened by Dark Ivy - such a lovely grey, and such an obvious fatality. I would watch the replay after I knew what had happened, and who hadn't made it. Still do. Record the racing, see if there are incidents, and then watch, and brace myself - ready to not-watch, but knowing what happens. I suppose that may make me a hypocrite - I don't like it but watch it anyway - but I still love watching the racing - watching the care of Balthazar King, and seeing Ruby helping wave the runners around the fence for the 2nd lap, and then seeing how BK was treated, and is now fine. I bet on Smartie in the 2001 - it was my wedding day, I was already half cut on a bottle of fizz while watching the opening show - fine at the wedding, and had organised the waiters for the meal to keep me informed of the result. 2 finish (bar the 2 re-mounted) and I chose the wrong one ! Did ok with Numbersixvalverde though, and a few others. My claim to fame is that I stroked Red Rum when he opened a betting shop in South Devon - didn't wash my hand for weeks !

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I have a love / hate relation with jumps racing. I love it, have done since about 7 or 8. Glued to the TV to watch on saturday afternoons, always imagining the fences I jumped on my pony being the canal, the chair, beechers etc. Looking out of the window on long car journeys and jumping the hedges as we drove by... I loved Aldaniti, and Grittar, I backed Spartan Missile... I was sickened by Dark Ivy - such a lovely grey, and such an obvious fatality. I would watch the replay after I knew what had happened, and who hadn't made it. Still do. Record the racing, see if there are incidents, and then watch, and brace myself - ready to not-watch, but knowing what happens. I suppose that may make me a hypocrite - I don't like it but watch it anyway - but I still love watching the racing - watching the care of Balthazar King, and seeing Ruby helping wave the runners around the fence for the 2nd lap, and then seeing how BK was treated, and is now fine. I bet on Smartie in the 2001 - it was my wedding day, I was already half cut on a bottle of fizz while watching the opening show - fine at the wedding, and had organised the waiters for the meal to keep me informed of the result. 2 finish (bar the 2 re-mounted) and I chose the wrong one ! Did ok with Numbersixvalverde though, and a few others. My claim to fame is that I stroked Red Rum when he opened a betting shop in South Devon - didn't wash my hand for weeks !

I think you've matched my feelings, I also used to race along on my rocking horse, and watch every Saturday, and go to the odd meeting, but struggle with the fatalities, I think it's the legs just snapping on the level that is most visually hard to stomach

But I will still watch every Saturday when it's jumps or a group 1 flat, it's hard to explain why, I guess like you it goes back to the riding along with them

I couldn't however be involved in ownership, I wouldn't want to feel like I'd been involved in sending that horse into such a risky situation. I love seeing the retired ex racehorses coming back to parade and love the group racehorses where are they now and seeing what the successful, and less successful, get up to in their new careers

Wasn't it someone involved with Arkle, who'd never allow him to run in the GN, I think Native River's owners didn't want him in it either (and what a good jumper he was). I do admire the owners who even with a chance of winning put their views on a race above that. I read but not a member of the racing forum and people are saying how Farouks poor jumping and number of falls should mean the new rules prevent him competing. It'll leave a very sour taste if he does suffer a fatality especially as owner and trainer have many other chances so why put him at risk? I also dislike seeing horses who have been off the track for a couple of years being brought back.

I love how all JPs famous horses retire to his Martinstown stud, and other owners who do right by their horses e..g Cape Gentleman above

I think the finishes have generally been much more palatable to watch since they put in the new whip rules, however would prefer a complete ban apart from for safety (e.g swerving). I know the whip is cushioned but would prefer it wasn't present.

I look forward to the big festivals e.g. Aintree and Cheltenham and enjoy watching, but also find the dark side hard to stomach at times.