Alfalfa

Keira 8888

Visit site
Hi guys,

hope you’re all well - happy Friday!

has anyone ever found their horse to be allergic to Alfalfa?

Im trying to get to the bottom of what is causing Prince to come up with bumps along his neck, tummy and legs. He has been on pasture cubes and HiFi since he arrived with me over three weeks ago... both of which contain Alfalfa. He has an excellent fly rug and boots and I used a fly spray too. The vet doesn’t think the bumps are insect related. So from research I came up with lots of reports of Alfalfa causing this kind of reaction..

Anyone else experienced this?

he was given a steroid shot by the vet on Wednesday and they disappeared for a day but are back now ?

Thanks guys

kx

Carrottom

Visit site
I haven't experienced it myself but it well documented as you say.
Does he need feed at this time of year? Maybe you could cut out feed for a couple of weeks and just give hay if he is stables to see if that makes a difference. There are feeds without alfalfa in but if possible I would try no feed to start with.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Hi guys,

Im trying to get to the bottom of what is causing Prince to come up with bumps along his neck, tummy and legs. He has been on pasture cubes and HiFi since he arrived with me over three weeks ago... both of which contain Alfalfa. He has an excellent fly rug and boots and I used a fly spray too. The vet doesn’t think the bumps are insect related. So from research I came up with lots of reports of Alfalfa causing this kind of reaction..

he was given a steroid shot by the vet on Wednesday and they disappeared for a day but are back now ?

Thanks guys

kx

Yes one of the Appaloosas reacted very badly to alfalfa, whereas a TBxWelsh had her whole diet based on it as she couldn't cope with cereals in any form. They are all different!

onemoretime

Visit site
Hi guys,

Thanks guys

kx
Yes pretty common can also make them itchy and silly.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
yeah my welshie gets itchy zits all over quite quickly if I feed alfalfa. if alfalfa meal is used as a carrier for a supplement this is usually OK as the quantities are so small (25 ml scoops etc). but as an actual bucket feed it's no good for her.

Keira 8888

Visit site
Thanks so much for your replies guys - this is very interesting. I am really hopeful that this could be the root of the problem. I have changed his feed today and gone right back to basics to what my feed merchant recommended. Completely natural (Can’t remember the name of the nuts and chaff but there’s basically no added stuff like molasses or alfalfa.)

will mix it in gradually and hope to have him on 100% new stuff in the next week. I wonder how long it will the hives to disappear if the alfalfa is indeed the problem ?

Thanks again everyone - I really appreciate it.

kx

Keira 8888

Visit site
I haven't experienced it myself but it well documented as you say.
Does he need feed at this time of year? Maybe you could cut out feed for a couple of weeks and just give hay if he is stables to see if that makes a difference. There are feeds without alfalfa in but if possible I would try no feed to start with.
Hmm I never thought of that ? He is out 24/7 at the moment. I’m a first time horse owner so have been guided by YO. He was a little underweight when he arrived so I guess he needs a little building up ?‍♀️ Do you think it’s unusual to give hard feed during the summer if they are out 24/7? Thanks so much x

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would go even more basic and go to grass only products - grassnuts (no molasses), grass chaff or haycobs. I wouldn't give the horse in your last photo any hard feed, other than a very small token if he is out on decent, horse-friendly grass

Keira 8888

Visit site
Ok great thanks guys. That is exactly what he is in now - I remember now! Grass nuts and grass chaff. Luckily the lady in my local feed shop is super knowledgable (like you) and recommended it! Fingers crossed it stops the hives x

terrierliz

Visit site
Yes one of mine literally swells if he has anything with alfalfa, the first time it happened he came up with hives, the his face, sheath and belly were horribly swollen

Carrottom

Visit site
He looks fine weight wise to me. Lots of horses are fine on just grass in the summer, preferably with an appropriate vitamin and mineral balance, but of course you feed merchant won't tell you that ? not good for biz