All fingers and toes crossed please.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Ludo has a fluid filling very high on the left stifle, above the patella. It's made worse by working at anything not in straight lines. He doesn't seem remotely unsound but I noticed it 2 weeks ago and it's not going away.

I've booked him into hospital next week for a workup and I'm prepared to attack this hard and fast, not having to ask an insurance company's permission, if it will extend his working life. He's only 7, but he has always "fallen off" his right hind on waxed surfaces, always stood with one or other hind leg stuck out behind him. I've already had his stifles checked as I was sure something would eventually be found to account for the odd way he will "forget" a leg behind him when resting. He served a herd of mares at 2.

I checked his footprints on sand the other day and he's overtracking, equally, in walk and trot. I can't see anything wrong on the lunge but he is less happy to strike into canter right than he is to the left. I've never really taught him to lunge, though.

Anyone want to guess what this might be and how fixable? And what treatment you'd want for it?

silv

Visit site
Sorry to read this, easy for me to say "try not to worry too much" until you know what you are dealing with it is natural to assume the worst. Hopefully he has just knocked himself. Good luck for Monday. The fact that he is not unsound must be good sign and you have got onto it early so here is hoping it is easily resolved.

ycbm

Visit site
Don't know, I'll try tomorrow. He does have some equal muscle loss on either side of the tuber sacrale from months ago when i left him on his own and then moved him, but I thought I was on top of that with adding selenium and lysine to his diet.

Are you thinking quadrilateral strain on the ligament attachment just above the patella? That's what Joe got and I'd be delighted if it was that, it's fixable unless I want to barrel race!

SEL

Visit site
Don't know, I'll try tomorrow. He does have some equal muscle loss on either side of the tuber sacrale from months ago when i left him on his own and then moved him, but I thought I was on top of that with adding selenium and lysine to his diet.

Are you thinking quadrilateral strain on the ligament attachment just above the patella? That's what Joe got and I'd be delighted if it was that, it's fixable unless I want to barrel race!
If he's losing a back leg then possibly, especially if there's muscle loss in the area too - some sort of movement compensation going on causing the inflammation. I'll keep fingers crossed vets don't find anything significant (or something easily fixable!)

Asha

Visit site
Fingers crossed for you both .
Hopefully it’s as simple as one of ours . Who had injured the stifle ( it was inflamed). At a guess from pratting around in the field . One injection ans she’s been grand ever since .

alibali

Visit site
Everything crossed for you and Ludo. I hate the waiting, wondering and worrying. Hopefully your appointment comes soon and it's something easily fixed

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
All the best from me too that's it's both fixable and straightforward, whether it needs rest or treatment.

Agree that not having to jump through insurance co hoops, authorisations and attempted exclusions will make it less hassle. It's just in between you, Ludo and the vets.

ycbm

Visit site
In horsepital on Tuesday. I've been suspicious of his stifles for so long, years in fact, but had nothing to show anyone except a horse who nearly always rested a hind leg out behind him.

2019!
https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/resting-hind-leg-out-behind-should-i-worry.783058/

Ironically, he had a jumping lesson (½ hour, 60cm) on Tuesday which increased the fluid above his stifle that evening, a rest day Wednesday which made it the biggest it's been, a slow hack yesterday which reduced it right down again, and a rest day today and I felt it just now and you can hardly tell there's any issue!

I shall work him harder between now and Tuesday, provided he isn't obviously lame, in order to give the vet a fighting chance of finding it.

Thanks for all the vibes!

Screenshot_20210607-165917_Sricam.jpg

Last edited: