All right my AAD friends

soloabe

Visit site
Now i have a fairly successful pet photography thing going on over here but seeing as i spend a fair amount of time in the UK i am thinking about starting something small there too.

You have all seen millions of my photographs so know that whilst they are not uber fabulous i can take an OK picture.

How much would you pay?

Currently here i offer a shoot at a place of their choice, 2 prints and the rest on disk (up to 20 fully edited photos) for $100 and it seems to be very popular.
That would work out at around 60 GBP.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Sounds reasonable! But I might round it off to £50.
I'm not a natural photographer but I know how much work/nitty gritty goes into retouching/editing so I think that is fair.

Venevidivici

Visit site
That seems extremely reasonable! Is it worth your while to do it for that?

I may be wrong but presumably you have to spend a little bit of time on the phone setting up the shoot and explaining it, travel costs to the shoot (variable, I suppose, but still..), the time spent on the shoot itself (at least an hour long? Less? More?), your 2 hours of time spent editing, more time spent discussing what prints they want to choose, the 2 prints themselves, the disk itself,probably postage of the disk and prints to them? There must be around 3 and a half or 4 hours of your time involved in each commission. Will you have any marketing costs as well?

You could be selling yourself short even at £60!

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I am one who would go for £50, it just sounds better. It is definitely something I would be interested in as I have failed dismally in getting decent photos of my two.

soloabe

Visit site
That seems extremely reasonable! Is it worth your while to do it for that?

I may be wrong but presumably you have to spend a little bit of time on the phone setting up the shoot and explaining it, travel costs to the shoot (variable, I suppose, but still..), the time spent on the shoot itself (at least an hour long? Less? More?), your 2 hours of time spent editing, more time spent discussing what prints they want to choose, the 2 prints themselves, the disk itself,probably postage of the disk and prints to them? There must be around 3 and a half or 4 hours of your time involved in each commission. Will you have any marketing costs as well?

You could be selling yourself short even at £60!

I very well may be but i don't know how viable it is at more than that.
Here i will travel upto 15 miles without an extra travel charge

Megan_T

Visit site
I would have said that's quite cheap I think? I run a small photography business (not doing small pets though, just horses and people!) and I would have thought with the amount of work you probably put in, you might want to ask for more than £50... especially if you're having to travel too?

I think if I was lucky enough to have a pooch (which I'm not, sniff...), I'd be willing to pay much more for a sitting and then, if I was happy with the pics, pay what was needed for the prints.
x