All this talk of weight.....

gwniver

Visit site
Agree. I don't think she looks tall anyway. More like tblover is used to seeing big horses and short riders :p

THANKS FfionWinnie AND littlelegs

I sometimes get worried that i am to tall:eek::eek:
But then i realise that i ain't selling him so...:D:D
but thanks guys for saying that i am not :);):D

ozpoz

Visit site
I agree that 12st looks like a good max for the first horse. I would ignore the words "irish draft" and judge the horse in front of me, which does not look up to carrying any more than that.

Also, re. highlands carrying stags - they walk slowly down hills,occasionally. It is a short season and they have the rest of the year to recover/do something different, generally with much lighter weights on their backs! You'll find the traditional type,bred/used for hill work, and modern riding type are two quite different things.

JFTDWS

Visit site
You'll find the traditional type,bred/used for hill work, and modern riding type are two quite different things.

Perhaps you can explain, then, how my older highland's (very similar) half brother is a successful deer pony, while mine is a ridden pony, who jumps 1m plus and competes at novice dr :confused: As far as I'm aware, difference in type within the breed relates more to bloodline and breeder preference than it does to end usage.

Hunter93

Visit site
Well this thread could be a confidence knocker haha!
This is my 16hh 4 yro tb

8EBB382C-BF5D-470D-9D7A-A52B288BF590-9657-0000060977F5B6E5_zpsbf1b4533.jpg

Whatcha think :)

JackAT

Visit site
I'd probably say 12 1/2 stone for the TB above for normal work. Has a bit of a slim neck, but is that can always be built up with some good exercise. I'd be tempted to say maybe 11 stone if doing intense work. :)

Dovorian

Visit site
Re: Too Tall,

I don't think the rider is to be honest, think of Mark Todd and William F-P. Properly too tall and overweight riders are a different kettle of fish, quite apart from looking underhorsed and less aesthetically pleasing, they can damage the poor horse.

Another funny thing is how folk underestimate their riding weight - so many saddles seem to only weigh ounces. I have never done it but it would be interesting to weigh tack, boots, hunt coat and what have you, add to the rider's weight and then have a fit!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
THANKS FfionWinnie AND littlelegs

I sometimes get worried that i am to tall:eek::eek:
But then i realise that i ain't selling him so...:D:D
but thanks guys for saying that i am not :);):D

I am tall on mine but I don't much care these days as I wouldn't have a bigger one as a gift anyway!

Is yours quite young?

alainax

Visit site
This is an interesting post :D
What about my boy?
8c7a9221-5c91-4671-80aa-2ba8f1da48eb_zpsaf838428.jpg

Hes about 15.2hh, 4yo. Took this pic last summer, hes leveled out now but hes been turned away 5 months so has no fitness.

does no one have any thoughts on mine?

He looks like he still has some maturing to do, so best not with too much weight on him for the start. Id say around 12 stone max for now, with the potential to go up to around 14 or so when he mature and strong :)

Cheiro1

Visit site
This is an interesting post :D
What about my boy?
8c7a9221-5c91-4671-80aa-2ba8f1da48eb_zpsaf838428.jpg

Hes about 15.2hh, 4yo. Took this pic last summer, hes leveled out now but hes been turned away 5 months so has no fitness.

12/13 stone for now, just hacking about, more when he is fitter and a little older

what weight do you think this guy can carry

Highland-20130117-00392_zps68bb1bd3.jpg

11/12 stone?

Well this thread could be a confidence knocker haha!
This is my 16hh 4 yro tb

8EBB382C-BF5D-470D-9D7A-A52B288BF590-9657-0000060977F5B6E5_zpsbf1b4533.jpg

Whatcha think :)

I would say maybe 12/12.5 stone for hacking and light work, 11 for fast work or jumping?

alainax

Visit site
I guess I should play too considering ive been commenting on so many :p

16.2/3 6yo IDX ( unknown on the x, vet + yo reckon shire - I think some kind of mud wallowing hippo.... :eek:)

Shoe size special order :eek:

titan_zpse2e51d0b.jpg

I know I know... useless pic :p

Last edited:

ArabianGem78

Visit site
I guess I should play too considering ive been commenting on so many :p

16.2/3 6yo IDX ( unknown on the x, vet + yo reckon shire - I think some kind of mud wallowing hippo.... :eek:)

Shoe size special order :eek:

titan_zpse2e51d0b.jpg

I know I know... useless pic :p

stunning horse!! i'm really rubbish on weight allowances but I think 16 stone, easily.

windand rain

Visit site
Bet that lovely Arab could easily carry 12 stone or more they do seem to be animal of choice for big endurance riders seen some pretty hefty riders on the rides all on Arabs

RubysGold

Visit site
He looks like he still has some maturing to do, so best not with too much weight on him for the start. Id say around 12 stone max for now, with the potential to go up to around 14 or so when he mature and strong :)

Thanks, :D
Im under 12 stone, and I know I'd never be at risk of being too heavy (though I am tall on him) but its interesting to know :D

ozpoz

Visit site
Perhaps you can explain, then, how my older highland's (very similar) half brother is a successful deer pony, while mine is a ridden pony, who jumps 1m plus and competes at novice dr :confused: As far as I'm aware, difference in type within the breed relates more to bloodline and breeder preference than it does to end usage.

I think "successful" when used in deer pony context means 'doesn't freak at the smell of blood' rather than anything competitive.
And yes, your last sentence is correct:confused:

ArabianGem78

Visit site
Thanks for the lovely comments about my little arab. She's my pride and joy - and doesn't she know it!!! I'm around 8 1/2 stone and 5'6" so she (and my equally fabulous PBA - 14.3, arab, welsh,TB. An amazing combination of breeds. Cracking little horse) never struggles with my weight, even on longer endurance rides. But I do feel like my feet dangle in the air at times!

alainax

Visit site
stunning horse!! i'm really rubbish on weight allowances but I think 16 stone, easily.
If he is as tall as he looks I would guess if you can get on he will carry you:D
lmao!! :D:D what a great way to put it :p

260033_10150303689232193_7091203_n.jpg

How about this one?

14.2hh arab. Crabbet bred so lovely and chunky. Rising 11.

I'll give you my stats in a bit....!

Thanks for the lovely comments about my little arab. She's my pride and joy - and doesn't she know it!!! I'm around 8 1/2 stone and 5'6" so she (and my equally fabulous PBA - 14.3, arab, welsh,TB. An amazing combination of breeds. Cracking little horse) never struggles with my weight, even on longer endurance rides. But I do feel like my feet dangle in the air at times!

She is just stunning, what a fitty! :eek: Sorry i think your too light for her, please send her to me :p ;)

ArabianGem78

Visit site
Sorry alainix did I offend you somehow? I didn't mean to. Your horse looks fabulous - like he/she could carry a man out hunting all day and not break a sweat.

You are welcome to have Marjorie after today's performance......!