Alternative to Rambo summer series?

SEL

Visit site
PSSM mare struggling with cooler nights, especially when it rains - but she has anhidrosis so I'm backing off throwing a rainsheet on her when its still warm at evening feeds.

Friend recommended the Rambo summer series and it seems ideal - except for the price! She's an itchy horse and likes nothing better than trashing a rug on a fence post.

Anyone seen any cheaper versions I could try out without the price tag? If not, its going to be beans on toast for a month!!

Iwantakitten

Visit site
Is this just a fly/mesh rug with a waterproof section over the back? If so then any rug with this feature would work. I use one on my PSSM suspect who doesn’t like getting remotely chilly on those marginal nights. He has an amigo one which I guess would be cheaper than the Rambo.

It’s similar to this but with the classic front not disc closure https://www.millbryhill.co.uk/eques...MIm-OB0eHF4gIVrr3tCh2J2ARDEAQYAiABEgLxfvD_BwE

Haphazardhacker

Visit site
I do know the summer series has a filled liner for the back bit you can add in for added warmth either 50/100g. I had one and loved it but sold it as discovered my girl really didn’t need rugs, but for ones who need a bit of help I’d say it’s ideal.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I think I may have the same rug as Iwak, the amigo 3 in 1 vamoose fly rug. I bought another one when Edgemere had their 20% off offer recently.

https://www.edgemere.co.uk/amigo-three-in-one-vamoose-fly-rug

They are tough rugs and the waterproof back cover does seem to work quite well. It has the traditional twin chest clips, which I prefer to the disc closure.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I'm about to order the Derby House fly rug with a rain sheet back for one of mine.

He needs something a bit less than a rain sheet but more than a fly rug

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I like the look of the optional liners for the summer series rug, they looks tailor made for PSSM horses, OP. There are some good prices on ebay for unusual sizes, my PSSM mare is in-between a 6’9” and a 7’0” in Rambos, I can get a 7’0” for £107. Am hovering over the ‘buy it now’ button!

998D09F1-89BC-4DA0-9484-0FF51734ED57.jpeg

Reactions: SEL

Leo Walker

Visit site
Tiddlypom my Rambo Optimo comes up very big so be aware the sizing isnt always accurate!

I really want one of those now! Not so much for summer but they would be ideal for my hot blooded cob in spring and autum when proper rugs are a bit too much but its too cold for clipped horses out naked. What a good idea!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’ve been really tempted by one too! I almost bought one second hand off fb last week but was gutted to realise it was off a seller who totally screwed me over once so didn’t take the risk!

Squeak

Visit site
I'm about to order the Derby House fly rug with a rain sheet back for one of mine.

He needs something a bit less than a rain sheet but more than a fly rug

I've used a couple of these and they are brilliant, far better than the other waterproof fly rugs I've tried.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I just managed to get a bargain second hand one from a Facebook ad. Really hoping they dont come up huge now or it will be for sale again shortly!

Leo Walker

Visit site
It didnt come up on marketplace when I searched that, but then I did a generic search for rambo summer sheet under the posts option and it brought up a random ad for rugs, and there it was, less than half price.

SEL

Visit site
It didnt come up on marketplace when I searched that, but then I did a generic search for rambo summer sheet under the posts option and it brought up a random ad for rugs, and there it was, less than half price.
Thanks - my afternoon job. Although it's tipping down now and both have their normal rainsheets on.....

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
LW, please let us know what you think of it when it arrives. I swerved buying the bargain 7’0”, I think it would be a smidge large. Have only found full price 6’9” rugs so far.

Mine will all be in their 100g turnouts today, it’s been persisting down here since yesterday lunchtime.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I will do. Mines not PSSM etc but she is fully clipped all year so I'm hoping it will do mine spring/summer/autumn when its too warm for turnouts but too cold for fly rugs, so probably the same sort of time PSSM horses would benefit from it :)

indie1282

Visit site

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Friend recommended the Rambo summer series and it seems ideal - except for the price! She's an itchy horse and likes nothing better than trashing a rug on a fence post.

Anyone seen any cheaper versions I could try out without the price tag? If not, its going to be beans on toast for a month!!
I will join you with the beans on toast, I have just ordered a 6’9” summer series rug from Edgemere @ £124.01 for my PSSM mare. All sizes the same price.

https://www.edgemere.co.uk/rambo-summer-series-turnout-rug-lite-0g

This is in addition to the 100g Rambo turnout that I’ve also just ordered for her from Hope Valley Saddley, which came in at a tad under £200.

Eep. Pass the beans.

poiuytrewq

Visit site

Leo Walker

Visit site
Mine came today and shes wearing it. I'm not sure how it will cope when it starts with torrential rain again as its just heavy showers at the minute. It fits well. Its the same style and fitting as the Rambo Duos. Shes between 5ft9 and 6ft normally and this is 6ft and a tiny bit big but nothing ridiculous, whereas her 5ft9 Optimo is also a bit big and 6ft would have drowned her!

The quality is lovely. Shes a rug trasher so I'm hoping it doesnt get completely wrecked, but it does look to be strong material. It so light as well! The liner is a lovely shape, and I imagine would be perfect for PSSM horses as well as adding a bit of warmth to my fully clipped pony. I'm really pleased with it so far and interested to see how it holds up to a complete and prolonged soaking!

Some terrible photos from the safety of my car! Shes a 14.1hh pony with an enormous front and in anything other than an optimo she almost looks lame as they restrict her so much, but this doesnt seem to bad movement wise. It didnt slip or move and they were all charging about like idiots. The neck fitted pretty well, and shes short and thick necked, so not sure what it would be like on something with a long, slim, elegant neck!

64223703_10156584357248667_6636122817651802112_n.jpg

64445021_10156584357063667_3127444212551778304_n.jpg

Leo Walker

Visit site
The whole thing was dry this morning and it rained heavily all night. It has been ripped though. I'm not sure if this is a fault of the rug. She has ripped both her PE turnout and Rambo Optimo in the last few days, the PE is missing most of the back half, so shes doing a good job of it! The new Rambo only has a tear on the back so has fared as well, if not better than the turnouts!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
The whole thing was dry this morning and it rained heavily all night. It has been ripped though. I'm not sure if this is a fault of the rug. She has ripped both her PE turnout and Rambo Optimo in the last few days, the PE is missing most of the back half, so shes doing a good job of it! The new Rambo only has a tear on the back so has fared as well, if not better than the turnouts!

If your overnight rain was as heavy as ours, I'm impressed. The rug could be the perfect answer for these changeable, warm and wet days. However, our hedges are Hawthorn and the geldings are a rowdy, thuggish lot at times. Decisions, decisions...