Alternative to Rambo summer series?

Leo Walker

Visit site
The rambo summer series :)

The rain has been torrential, even her PE had leaked a bit by yesterday afternoon, so I'm very impressed it didnt as its really not designed for that sort of weather.I dont think hedges would have ripped it. Shes in season and been playing piggy backs with the boys having jumped out to get to them, and it looks like a shoe has done it. shes currently in disgrace as I now have no rugs without holes in!

1560520571325.png

EmmaC78

Visit site
I used my summer series for the first time last night. I didn't think the material seemed that tough but so far it has survived undamaged and he did seem dry underneath despite some heavy rain.

SEL

Visit site
I've had the winter rugs out this week! I did think tonight though that it would be a useful addition to Madam's wardrobe because it's 17 degrees but with the odd shower possible overnight when it drops to 8.

Good to hear they seem pretty waterproof - sorry yours has been trashed already LW!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
First impressions of T’s new Summer Series rug are good. The 6’9” fits well, and I like the dedicated back liner. She’s wearing the rug inc liner tonight for the first time, she’s had a good session with the chiro vet today post her SI joint injections and it’s important to keep her back warm.

6D018CEA-8DB0-411A-8729-59021754B82D.jpeg

E70E80F5-757E-40BE-979C-4B67881CB21F.jpeg

Fingers crossed that the rug is resilient!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Update. The summer series rug is performing well. With the crazy weather that we’ve had recently it’s only been used some of the time, but in the right conditions it’s a great rug for use on a sensitive horse.

I made the wrong call last night, as the rain was was heavier than forecast and tbh I should have turned her out in her 100g Rambo. This is what she looked like this morning after I removed the summer series rug, she is dry on her back and quarters but damp on her sides where the mesh was. She wasn’t unduly cross, though, and her quarters were sufficiently relaxed for me to be able to give her a Cartrophen jab without her noticing at all.

3317687F-4174-4837-B9E4-ED25B504E675.jpeg

Last edited:

dogatemysalad

Visit site
If the rain in your area was as heavy as we've had overnight, that's pretty impressive. Did she wear it during the heat wave, and did she overheat in it then ? The horse flies have been a nightmare this summer and some sort of field protection would be great.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It was very wet here too last night. It stood up the rain very well considering it has the mesh sides.

I didn’t use it during the heat wave as it would have been too warm then even without the detachable liner in place. IMHO it’s best suited to cooler and maybe damp but not sopping summer days, when it is just the job without cooking the horse.

EmmaC78

Visit site
I agree with Tiddlypom - I have a summer series and think they would be too hot in it in warm weather. My gelding had it on on a warmish day and was definitely too hot in it so I only use it on cooler days.

RiderwithRosie

New User
Visit site
Hi - a bit late to this post, but just wondered if anyone had found the summer series sizing to come up small? My mare is always a 6’3, yet this rug was really too snug on her - lengthwise more than anything. I’ll order the next size up, but just interested as mostly the comments have been they come up bigger.

McFluff

Visit site
I think the Rambo duo and Rambo summer series sizing is neat on length (but good on width). Mine measures with a tape measure as 6’ (and previous owner had him in 5’9” and 6’ rugs). I’ve found (much to my relief!) that all my 6’3” rambos fit very nicely. Definitely wouldn’t be right in 6’.