Alternatives to a Dales Pony

tda

Visit site
Thanks. Need to up the budget a bit but if he's still around in a month or two I'll enquire.
I *think* he has been for sale on and off since January.
Ridden dales are fairly rare at the moment but they do come up. Just because they have been produced for the show ring doesn't mean they have to stay in the show ring.

If I hear of anything I'll let you know.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I’d also love a Dales, but have noticed how scarce they seem to be. I agree that there is the same problem with Fells too, so next on my list would be a nice cob.

Lots of the Traditionals have a heavy infusion of Dales and Fell blood along the way, so you could probably find a not dissimilar type if you keep an eye out to see what’s about.

That's very true!

southerncomfort

Visit site
I have only ever had 1 youngster at a time and they have always gone in with whatever horses I have had. The most extreme was my extremely arrogant arab yearling colt when in with my 27yo. Worked perfectly well. The older horse was very tolerant and the arab was fine.
The problem may be making a pair a threesome rather with any other horse not just a youngster.

One of mine is a mini and quite happy on her own. Ive had herds of 3 in the past and didn't have any problems but I do know what you mean.

They'd certainly sort out any uppity youngster that's for sure!! ?

southerncomfort

Visit site
My two year old has been turned out with a 19/20 year old for a year now. They play, he learns manners and he has companionship. I don’t really place a lot of stock in babies being turned out with babies, yes it’s a wonderful thing to see lots of similar aged horses playing but the older gent keeps my boy in line but watching them playing is so funny :D

That's really interesting.

When I think back, the youngsters I've had in the past have been turned out with older ponies too. My last youngster was out with a 13 year old and a 20 year old. I'd completely forgotten that. They actually made a really nice, settled herd.

southerncomfort

Visit site
OP, look up Nicola Evans (Helmside) on Facebook, on her page go to photos, she has pony albums with brief description of a number of Fell ponies for sale. She's very honest about them.
Worth going as you'd see several in the one place.
Also worth contacting breeders directly, even for an unbacked one.
Happy to send you more info on others if you want.

Thanks. Several people now have recommended Nicola. Like the sound of her ponies very much. I'm going to go and have a look now.

I'd be really grateful if you could keep an eye for anything you think might suit. Thank you.

southerncomfort

Visit site
New Forest? I have two youngsters and they are great! The first was in a field with older mares for a year and was fine. I don’t see a problem with a 3yo in with older horses so long as they get their daily entertainment through you. My two youngsters bicker a bit but my arthritic 21yo mare is the one who plays!

Thanks. Seems like the general consensus is that it could work. Just need to decide if I want something ready made or a youngster to train myself.

Decisions decisions!

southerncomfort

Visit site
I *think* he has been for sale on and off since January.
Ridden dales are fairly rare at the moment but they do come up. Just because they have been produced for the show ring doesn't mean they have to stay in the show ring.

If I hear of anything I'll let you know.

Thanks TDA. I think if I see an ad for a showring prospect I sometimes assume they'd be disappointed with a hacking home.

Nudibranch

Visit site
Sorry, but I have to disagree with the suggestions.
Stick to the plan and get a Dales! I grew up with Welsh, have had the lot from Shetlands to Cleveland Bay to big WBs. I bought a 3yo Dales nearly 2 years ago and she's turning out to be one of the best. And looks wise you can't beat them either. I have a cracking ride and drive Fell too, but the Dales has my heart.
Admittedly I was extremely lucky and got her for a very good price, and she carries some super old bloodlines. I could probably sell her on for a silly profit but she's never going anywhere. Once they hit 3 they are fine with older horses imo. Mine had been running on the hills with only one other youngster, and she was a bit stroppy and opinionated for a couple of months but is now an absolute gem, at the grand old age of 5.
Dales all the way. They're worth the wait.

PSD

Visit site
There’s quite a few fell breeders in Cumbria, you could make a day of it if you were making a trip there! Rachel Douglas at the byebeck stud and Kevin Turner from greenrivers to name a couple, they will always have youngstock for sale and possible some broodmares

Reactions: RHM

southerncomfort

Visit site
Sorry, but I have to disagree with the suggestions.
Stick to the plan and get a Dales! I grew up with Welsh, have had the lot from Shetlands to Cleveland Bay to big WBs. I bought a 3yo Dales nearly 2 years ago and she's turning out to be one of the best. And looks wise you can't beat them either. I have a cracking ride and drive Fell too, but the Dales has my heart.
Admittedly I was extremely lucky and got her for a very good price, and she carries some super old bloodlines. I could probably sell her on for a silly profit but she's never going anywhere. Once they hit 3 they are fine with older horses imo. Mine had been running on the hills with only one other youngster, and she was a bit stroppy and opinionated for a couple of months but is now an absolute gem, at the grand old age of 5.
Dales all the way. They're worth the wait.

Thanks. ?

I suspect you are right and I'm quite happy to wait for the right pony. As I say, this could be my last pony so I desperately want it to be the right one, and I've been dreaming of a Dales since i was knee high.

southerncomfort

Visit site
An Exmoor?

I used to ride an exmoor pony at the local stables when I was a girl. She was lovely and very forgiving bless her.

I once viewed an exmoor pony for sale. It had no brakes at all and when I finally managed to pull up, the owner said 'oh sorry I forgot to tell you, if you want to stop you have to tap on her neck 3 times with your hand'! ??

southerncomfort

Visit site
There’s quite a few fell breeders in Cumbria, you could make a day of it if you were making a trip there! Rachel Douglas at the byebeck stud and Kevin Turner from greenrivers to name a couple, they will always have youngstock for sale and possible some broodmares

Yes could definitely do that!

Highflinger

Visit site
I was looking for a highland or dales a while back and could not find anything suitable ( did not have facilities or experience for a youngster/unbroken) so bought 5 year Fjord- I know they are quite rare and i was very lucky to find him but may be an option?
Although if you have set your heart on a fell I would follow your heart
Good luck