Alternatives to a nathe

LansdownK310

Visit site
Another bit advice thread!

I have been riding my ISH on the flat in a loose ring nathe snaffle, horse loves it and is very consistent and settled, best she’s ever been, but we are compromising my lateral flexion in this bit and some steering which caused us to wobble out of a dressage arena last weekend! For the time being I’ve switched back to a standard loose ring lozenge snaffle to school in and only bringing the nathe out at a show. In the loose ring lozenge, I get the flexion I need for the lateral work which then helps her soften, but she’s not 100% settled in the contact.

Can't seem to find a NS that she's happy in, tried a loose ring verbibend and a eggbutt tranz angled but she was busy in the verbibend and wasnt keen to flex and just leant on the eggbutt. Anything with a fixed cheek seems to cause leaning but I think she does prefer something still... Help!

LansdownK310

Visit site
I haven't, mainly because they are so expensive and actually fairly difficult to find. I don't know anyone with a full cheek, only a 3 ring gag. I was wondering if it was the action of the straight bar which was affecting the flexion, where it lifts on the opposite side?

dianchi

Visit site

LansdownK310

Visit site

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have a similar issue with my mare in a nathe - at the moment it's the best option I have in terms of quality of contact but the straightbar feels like a bit of a blunt instrument. I'm going to hire a dressage legal loose ring myler I think to see if that helps - I think it will be reasonably stable (i.e. doesn't collapse around the mouth like a normal link) but give a bit more adjustment.

Noodlebug

Visit site
I use a Sprenger duo which is similar to a nathe. It has a very small v shape in the middle and you can bend it. I tried every bit going Myler, KK, etc. before this. He did like the magic bit as well.

LansdownK310

Visit site
I have a similar issue with my mare in a nathe - at the moment it's the best option I have in terms of quality of contact but the straightbar feels like a bit of a blunt instrument. I'm going to hire a dressage legal loose ring myler I think to see if that helps - I think it will be reasonably stable (i.e. doesn't collapse around the mouth like a normal link) but give a bit more adjustment.

Would be interested to know how you get on with it. I know what you mean about quality of contact, it was like a eureka moment when I tried the nathe.

LansdownK310

Visit site
I use a Sprenger duo which is similar to a nathe. It has a very small v shape in the middle and you can bend it. I tried every bit going Myler, KK, etc. before this. He did like the magic bit as well.

What do you find his flexion like in this though? The nathe is very soft and flexible, is the duo much different? Havent heard of a magic bit before?

andreo

Visit site
Hi have you looked at Bevis bits these are fairly new to market i was told that the company was started by guy who use to work for Nathe company, I have the Cheltenham gag as horse has sensitive mouth :)

sweet_decline

Visit site
Have you looked at the jointed nathes? They come in single- or double-jointed, which might provide the happy medium you're looking for.

Beris bits are also worth looking at - they are a bit thicker and solider than the nathe, and come in full cheek and fulmers.

LansdownK310

Visit site
Have you looked at the jointed nathes? They come in single- or double-jointed, which might provide the happy medium you're looking for.

Beris bits are also worth looking at - they are a bit thicker and solider than the nathe, and come in full cheek and fulmers.

That might be worth a try, I wonder if its the metal she's not overly keen on. Shame I cant borrow or hire one as i'd wonder if the contact I get in a nathe is because of the material or the fact that its a straight bar. Not a huge amount of price difference between the nathes and beris. Thanks for the tip off though.

Noodlebug

Visit site
The duo is very flexible. I found that he hated anything that was jointed. The magic bit is a straight bar with a port (basically a kimblewick mouth piece) so you can't use it for dressage and is mostly used for ponies.