Alternatives to mane pulling

luckyoldme

Visit site
A really useful thread... i hate mane pulling although my old boy does tolerate it well. ive been on ebay and ordered one of them comb things with the blade in and no doubt it will come in handy once i get the hang of it. thankyou op.

Summer pudding

Visit site
Such a useful thread..to go off at a slight tangent...my newbie Connie cross wasn't clipped and looks VERY scruffy....feathers, and legs very wooly (just started to moult too)..How can I tidy him up at this time of year? I'm a bit of an embarrassment on a vety smart yard! Any helpful tips will receive a chocolate brownie (virtual I'm afraid).

luckyoldme

Visit site
A rake works really well, most horses are more than happy for you to use one, it will thin as much as you want then if you are left with a few long bits it is easy to just trim them with scissors.

I have to say this was an unnecessarily harsh comment, to a 13yr old no less! Plus how can you judge? EE has literally one photo in her album where you can see a plait fairly up close....

Wow i didnt know the poster that was aimed at was just 13...well you handled that well! A very mature young lady i would say.

PonyclubmumZ

Visit site
Such a useful thread..to go off at a slight tangent...my newbie Connie cross wasn't clipped and looks VERY scruffy....feathers, and legs very wooly (just started to moult too)..How can I tidy him up at this time of year? I'm a bit of an embarrassment on a vety smart yard! Any helpful tips will receive a chocolate brownie (virtual I'm afraid).

I do my cobs' legs with a little pair of clippers, but I do the ponies the old fashioned way with a pair of scissors and a comb. Doing that and cutting the tail straight across the bottom is a good start. You might find on a yard that there is someone willing to give the newbie a hand too, you might need real brownies for bribes!

I will have tea with my brownie please ;)

Fun Times

Visit site
Having had a look at your album, your version of neat plaits and mine differ wildly.

EE is incredibly eloquent and despite her young age will handle this far better than most of the more "mature" hho members. So because I know she won't, I feel it my civic duty to point out that this is a totally unproductive, rude and unnecessary comment. Seriously conniegirl, how can you have thought this would have added anything. Well done.

Summer pudding

Visit site
I do my cobs' legs with a little pair of clippers, but I do the ponies the old fashioned way with a pair of scissors and a comb. Doing that and cutting the tail straight across the bottom is a good start. You might find on a yard that there is someone willing to give the newbie a hand too, you might need real brownies for bribes!

I will have tea with my brownie please ;)
Cheers, brewing up now..I've warmed the brownie and put a blob of cream on top...do you think it OK to do the back of the legs at this time of year...he (I) won't look silly...what about into the heels too..or is that a cut too far?!!

PonyclubmumZ

Visit site
Delicious brownie thanks :)

You have me worried now! I don't think my cob looks silly, haha who am I kidding!!

You do have to be careful, because mine has been done regularly and his body is clipped its easy to the do with the clippers. but if you are doing it for the first time a comb and scissors is easier and you can get a better line, otherwise you end up with a hard edge where the nice clipped legs join the hairy body. Definitely a good tidy up down the back of the legs and heels can look neat, but don't go mad. Perhaps consider doing all 4 legs gradually rather than going all out on my leg and ending up with a wonky looking horse for weeks!

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
EE is incredibly eloquent and despite her young age will handle this far better than most of the more "mature" hho members. So because I know she won't, I feel it my civic duty to point out that this is a totally unproductive, rude and unnecessary comment. Seriously conniegirl, how can you have thought this would have added anything. Well done.

Just had a look at EE's album and I must say I think her plaits are very neat! Well done EE :D

PS I dont know who this connie girl is but recently I have noticed rude posts from her! :( we are all meant to help each other on this forum

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Having had a look at your album, your version of neat plaits and mine differ wildly.

These are my plaits, now that I use the Smart Tails rake (it is the same pony in all the photos, she just changes colour regularly).

06514bb942cda52d6e7226f4b59e50a7.jpg

3b10ef6dd38bc97f02b28f326fa846ca.jpg

(Please ignore the forelock plait, she'd rubbed it on her haynet in the lorry, and I hadn't yet had time to redo it).

I was rather hurt by your harsh comment, as I personally don't think it was at all fair.

Llee94

Visit site
Don't listen to her EE your plaits are very neat! Much better than mine and I have worked as a groom for a 4* rider!

twobearsarthur

Visit site
These are my plaits, now that I use the Smart Tails rake (it is the same pony in all the photos, she just changes colour regularly).

(Please ignore the forelock plait, she'd rubbed it on her haynet in the lorry, and I hadn't yet had time to redo it).

I was rather hurt by your harsh comment, as I personally don't think it was at all fair.

I wish I could plait this tightly. And I've been at it 35 years lol
I have plait envy 😄

Fun Times

Visit site
EE - your plaits are genuinley splendid and I do love that chestnut of yours. I can only assume that when conniegirl said her view of neat plaits differed wildly from yours she meant that hers are totally awful by comparision and you clearly have higher standards...

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
EE - your plaits are genuinley splendid and I do love that chestnut of yours. I can only assume that when conniegirl said her view of neat plaits differed wildly from yours she meant that hers are totally awful by comparision and you clearly have higher standards...

I think she did mean what she said, and was referring to these old plaits of mine....

11c5e30692e0dc344ebd4272261ebadc.jpg

16cc0d996769af1b1c287dac2e4d71ab.jpg

Fun Times

Visit site
Well as far as I am concerned anyone of your age who is willing and able to plait up themselves (never mind doing half as a good a job as you do) gets a hefty pat on the back. Am fed up of seeing kids mucking about on yards or at shows whilst their parents do all the grunt work, it makes me mad!

Summer pudding

Visit site
Well as far as I am concerned anyone of your age who is willing and able to plait up themselves (never mind doing half as a good a job as you do) gets a hefty pat on the back. Am fed up of seeing kids mucking about on yards or at shows whilst their parents do all the grunt work, it makes me mad!
Here, here..wish my plaits looked that good!

NZJenny

Visit site

x2 this.

Summer pudding

Visit site
Delicious brownie thanks :)

You have me worried now! I don't think my cob looks silly, haha who am I kidding!!

You do have to be careful, because mine has been done regularly and his body is clipped its easy to the do with the clippers. but if you are doing it for the first time a comb and scissors is easier and you can get a better line, otherwise you end up with a hard edge where the nice clipped legs join the hairy body. Definitely a good tidy up down the back of the legs and heels can look neat, but don't go mad. Perhaps consider doing all 4 legs gradually rather than going all out on my leg and ending up with a wonky looking horse for weeks!
I'm sure your cob hasn't got the chicken drum sticks look my rude (cob owning) friend refers to. Good idea to use stealth and do a little and often so no embarrassing reveal...I'm thinking of having a bib clip as his tummy is so fluffy and dirty from lying down..grey disaster! Still not sure if I dare use a rake on the mane though...cheese scones on offer today...yummy!

PolarSkye

Visit site
Can you twitch her then pull it ?

It is the 1 thing my mare hates & she is so bloody big she just rams me into things and frankly I don't like being squished & half killed. If I twitch her I can do her mane & tail in 15 mins. I do her tail whilst she is falling asleep & then do her mane & it is so much less stress for both of us.

Also if you keep on top of it its much easier

If I had to twitch my horse to pull his mane, I would find another way to keep him neat and tidy or give up and let him look scruffy and deal with it.

P

PolarSkye

Visit site

Don't worry EE - I couldn't plait like that! Lovely job :.

P

mytwofriends

Visit site
Amazing plaits EE :) And good for you for rising about "that" unnecessary comment.

After reading this thread a few days ago, I bought a rake and will be having a go on my wriggly boy this weekend. Solocombing proved unsuccessful (became blunt very quickly), and you can totally forget pulling (tried and failed in epic fashion!) I'm hoping the rake will work as my boy is rocking a spectacular bouffant at the moment!

Shantara

Visit site

I haven't read the rest of the thread, but I was just wondering what the photoshopping was in aid of? I'm sure your plaits are lovely, without the help of photoshop! I really don't want you to take offence, I really don't mean any! I am curious :)

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
I haven't read the rest of the thread, but I was just wondering what the photoshopping was in aid of? I'm sure your plaits are lovely, without the help of photoshop! I really don't want you to take offence, I really don't mean any! I am curious :)

I don't know what you mean, I don't even have Photoshop?! My plaits are genuinely like that?
I can post many more photos of my plaits if you wish, as I can assure you I don't 'photoshop' things.

Last edited:

Shantara

Visit site
I don't know what you mean, I don't even have Photoshop?! My plaits are genuinely like that?

Then there is something weird going on behind ponies neck in the 2nd pic! It also looks like you have 2 right hands :O
In the first picture, also the stone in front of the ponies forelock is a little strange.
I don't doubt you have great plaiting skills, at least they are much better than mine! Mine are pants :p

Dave's Mam

Visit site
The neck conformation in the first pic disturbs me, as does the way your headpiece seems to vanish. You also seem to have 2 hands & 2 crops in the second pic. I need 2 for nappy moments.

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Then there is something weird going on behind ponies neck in the 2nd pic! It also looks like you have 2 right hands :O
In the first picture, also the stone in front of the ponies forelock is a little strange.
I don't doubt you have great plaiting skills, at least they are much better than mine! Mine are pants :p

OK, yes, I tried to use 'Picmonkey' as my hand already looked a little strange (it looked like my whip was growing out of my hand!), and I tried to make it look normal, and as you can see it didn't seem to work, and only made it worse :/ I've not even edited the first photo, but she was moving as the photo was taken. By the way, the side wall of the stable (in the photo) is very old, and have moss and even a horrid sycamore growing on it, is that what you mean by it looking strange?