Alternatives to mane pulling

Spiritedly

Visit site
These are my plaits, now that I use the Smart Tails rake (it is the same pony in all the photos, she just changes colour regularly).

06514bb942cda52d6e7226f4b59e50a7.jpg

3b10ef6dd38bc97f02b28f326fa846ca.jpg

(Please ignore the forelock plait, she'd rubbed it on her haynet in the lorry, and I hadn't yet had time to redo it).

I was rather hurt by your harsh comment, as I personally don't think it was at all fair.

Out of interest how do you manage to get your plaits to lay flat whichever side you plait your ponies mane on? My Foresters mane falls on the left and although I've tried plaiting it on the right the plaits look awful :(

ridefast

Visit site
Out of interest how do you manage to get your plaits to lay flat whichever side you plait your ponies mane on? My Foresters mane falls on the left and although I've tried plaiting it on the right the plaits look awful :(
Wet the mane, comb it on to the right side and plait it - don't roll- leave in for a few days. It's called laying a mane. Some manes you have to do it a lot

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site

I use a lycra hood and showsheen - yes I know, it makes it slippery, but I find it also helps to make it 'flexible', so that it will lie on whatever side I put it on. Her mane naturally falls on the left side, but when I feel like plaiting it on the right it works. Using a needle & thread is really helpful, as you can then get it really tight, and gel too, so it looks 'smooth'.

Try leaving it plaited on the right side, in long plaits, and put a lycra hood on. If you repeat the whole thing regularly, it should then be able to be put on any side of the neck :)

Caol Ila

Visit site
I discovered that I hated pulling and plaiting the mane, the horse hated the pulling part of it, I was crap at the latter, so I let her mane grow out. When I was showing, I would put it in a lattice which is cool, and nowadays I just let it go feral.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
XD I love Photoshop jobs.

9/10 for effort but less so for execution!

I personally cut and then pull my boy's mane as he doesn't seem to care what I do, so I cut to get rid of the length to save my fingers!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Evening all :)

Just thought I'd pick your brains about mane pulling/tidying etc, I was trying to tidy my mare's mane up this evening and I got to thinking there must be a better way.
She's a Welshie with quite a thick mane and I try to keep her tidy looking, however she (understandably) doesn't like her mane being pulled, and I hate using a solo comb.
I'm about ready to give up with the comb, it falls apart every other cut, and IMHO it takes 5x as long and the results aren't as tidy as pulling :(
So basically what I'm asking is, has anyone found any decent alternatives? I can't bring myself to take scissors to it!
Thanks in advance :)
I don't pull my welshie as I leave her mane long and lush as I want to show her. I use cowboy magic and mane conditioner. So no mane pulling here I prefer my horses to have natural manes.

When I had to in BHS yard we had to pull or thin or snip with sissors

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Glad it wasn't just me that thought the photos looked odd, and not particularly helpful to anyone looking to see how raking and plaiting can actually look.

I pull my welshie so can't help on the alternatives. His mane is super wirey and thick - much nicer down the bottom end, so I think anything but proper pulling would really get it plaitable, though the current issue is the bit I clipped off on the near side near the top :eek3:. Do use copious amounts of wella (or similar extra hold gel and sew them in too ;) :))

they are definitely functional rather than show quality plaits still though. - he has this right annoying fluffy bit round his forelock that I don't know what to do with!

thought I'd throw in a non edited pic for good measure :p

1477384_10154000387795438_1701489115_n.jpg

His mane when first pulled from long which perhaps shows how thick it still was post pulling - and no I didn't use scissors first but it did go on to become shorter than this after hho said so :p and is now quite a lot thinner! but still requires gel/baby oil in quite large quantities to get it to behave when showing as welsh. I'm not sure that solocombing/raking would ever have got it to a more reasonable point. He doesn't particularly like it but he doesn't like other things too so I tell him we all have to suffer for our beauty ;) and it will mean he gets treats, and then hunting ;).

5198_214189150437_8020839_n.jpg

Last edited:

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Plaiting is one of the very few things I'm actually quite good at (along with falling off)

Must of been having an off day here as I count 11 and I normally do 7 :biggrin3:

81C29FAA-C73C-4059-A0CB-CC69E5D415B3_zpsst4wsye9.jpg

D5808110-2826-4795-B51D-DE7837283C19_zpseiwdb8kr.jpg

Last edited:

Shantara

Visit site
Plaiting is one of the very few things I'm actually quite good at (along with falling off)

Must of been having an off day here as I count 11 and I normally do 7 :biggrin3:

I can vouch for that!! (The plaiting that is, not falling off haha!)
I don't think Ned's plaits have ever looked so good :p even though he was being rather annoying, if I remember rightly!

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
I just wanted to say, I didn't use fake extension plaits. I'd never hog my pony's mane, for one she wouldn't let me, and two, she wouldn't suit it at all, and to be honest (no offence to hogged horse owners) I don't really like hogged manes, unless it's a heavy cob type.

Apart from me trying to make my hand look better in the last photo (utter fail :rolleyes3: - it looks worse now, but at least you can see it *has* been edited, so people won't think my hand actually is like that) I haven't used fake plaits, that is my plaiting, and my pony's mane.

Auslander

Visit site
I just wanted to say, I didn't use fake extension plaits. I'd never hog my pony's mane, for one she wouldn't let me, and two, she wouldn't suit it at all, and to be honest (no offence to hogged horse owners) I don't really like hogged manes, unless it's a heavy cob type.

Apart from me trying to make my hand look better in the last photo (utter fail :rolleyes3: - it looks worse now, but at least you can see it *has* been edited, so people won't think my hand actually is like that) I haven't used fake plaits, that is my plaiting, and my pony's mane.

Maybe you should post the unedited version - that should shut people up eh?

MagicMelon

Visit site
I always use a thinning rake (the Smart Tails one) and while I've found it does a great job of thinning, I find after a few months the hair starts growing back in and of course its on the underneath so it plays havoc with pushing the rest of the mane over to the wrong side and it sits up like a bush! What do people do to deal with this? I try to rake it but its hard to rake only one bit...

Moomin1

Visit site

I used to plait my old pony's forelock like that but my mare now won't keep her head still enough or low enough for me to do it, so I have to go for the bog standard normal plait instead of the french plait type :-(

JFTDWS

Visit site

CFG- those are delightful! And not photoshopped :p The forelock is divine. If you'd like to come and do mine every time I compete, I'd be much obliged ;)

dingle12

Visit site
I had a massive pulling session yesterday and tidy up, after doing 5 I had very sore fingers. People that cut the manes do you mind posting a photo I would never use scissors on any or my manes however I do pull short for plaiting so tend to end up with rock star manes !!!

Carefreegirl

Visit site
I don't do the forelock like that very often.
It depends on the amount of poo I have to clean off the rest of her body. That was a 'not many poo stains' morning :wink3:

siennamiller

Visit site
Z's mane had got long (prob not in comparison to a welshie), I used scissors to chop the length down, the chop into it to remove some thickness, and create a feathery effect, then I pull it last to get rid of the blunt edges, it works for me, you can't tell it's cut with scissors, plus it takes a lot less time.

siennamiller

Visit site
I have never understand why you'd want to pull a mane. Yanking hair out by the root is pretty painful and not something I'd ever want to inflict on my horse. I leave my pure bred arab au naturel, and take a pair of scissors to my part-bred when it gets too long. I've never shown so not needed to plait traditionally. If I've wanted to plait (for endurance or on the rare occasion we venture into the dressage arena), I just pop in a running plait, high up on the crest.

It's easy for an Arab owner to say pop it in a running plait, but I would look pretty bl**dy stupid eventing my ISH with a running plait.