Altior

Clodagh

Visit site
They say most trainers say there are 361 days racing, and only 4 are at Cheltenham.
Nicky Henderson thinks there are 4 days in the year and 361 building up to it.

I think it is a real shame, but I don't own the horse or pay his training fees. At 11 he will do well to win the CC again next year. I'd have thought, but I haven't watched much racing this year so may not be up to date with the 2 mile division. (My favourite race at the Meeting, actually).

Politilogue did so well, and now for a horse that everyone is a bit derogatory about he has won the CC and 2 Tingle Creeks so has covered his costs, you could say. I love John Hales too, he seems such a horse lover.

Chiffy

Visit site
Clodagh, I was expecting you here!
Yes a bit of a dim view was taken about NH’s decision. I didn’t realise that Altior can act in the soft. It’s a shame but Altior doesn’t owe anyone anything, he has done plenty. I like all John Haley’s greys over the years and he is so enthusiastic, well done Politilogue. PN’s interview was interesting and we would have enjoyed the two horses meeting.
So much of National Hunt race horse enjoyment is the regulars we get to see. I never got fond of See You Then who only appeared for the Champion Hurdle becoming nicknamed See You When!

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Oh God yes, I love that horse, he doesn't deserve this. He is out of love with the game, let him go and do something else. His owner I don't like - and I don't even know who it is.

No he doesn't, im also not sure who the owner is but im also disliking them. I'm surprised how long they took to pull him up yesterday he was toiling from very early on and never looked comfortable.

Retirement doesn't even mean "rot in a field" I think ror is a fantastic series so there are plenty of new jobs he could do. I could see him in the show ring.

Clodagh

Visit site
No he doesn't, im also not sure who the owner is but im also disliking them. I'm surprised how long they took to pull him up yesterday he was toiling from very early on and never looked comfortable.

Retirement doesn't even mean "rot in a field" I think ror is a fantastic series so there are plenty of new jobs he could do. I could see him in the show ring.

I agree. He has such presence.

Visit site
Might Bite really needs to be retired imo. He bled the other day which was why he didn't go a yard in the race.

As to Altior - people are now being too precious of their horses reputations to keep them for Cheltenham. There are so few races the top notch horses can go in you do need to get out before the Festival. You can keep them apart for most of rhe season but they do need to run once or twice before March.

It is really getting stupid how the Festival is becoming the be all and end all of the racing season.

bonny

Visit site

He is one of the most stunning horses in training. I guess he is still showing ability at home, must be frustrating to have a horse with so much ability but he does appear to not want to be a racehorse any more.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I can't remember, did Might Bite have a hard race? I know he has been disappointing but the word is that he still goes really well at home.

I have heard it from more than one person that they have had a horse that got really exhausted - bottomed I think the expression - and they were never the same again. Heart? Physically and mentally.

One girl said she took her hunter staghunting - they were fit having been hunting all winter - but the unrelenting open moorland meant being on the go all day and the horse was never the same again.

Visit site
I can't remember, did Might Bite have a hard race? I know he has been disappointing but the word is that he still goes really well at home.

I have heard it from more than one person that they have had a horse that got really exhausted - bottomed I think the expression - and they were never the same again. Heart? Physically and mentally.

One girl said she took her hunter staghunting - they were fit having been hunting all winter - but the unrelenting open moorland meant being on the go all day and the horse was never the same again.

Might Bite bled early on so didn't go far or get pushed hard.

It is possible to absolutely destroy horses with hard races. It's probably why so few horses go on to do anything after being placed in the National. It's a hard race, or it used to be. I think once you have reached the very bottom of a horse it is hard for their body to come back and that's only if the mind will let them. Some it takes 2 years to get back to something of what they were, some never come back.

Visit site
Altior 2nd today. He didn't look the force of all, looks tapped for toe every step of the way now.

Nube Negra absolutely hacked up! He looks like a proper horse for the future, Hopefully they give him a nice season this year and he will hit the heights next year.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Glad to see him safely home and he was lucky to finish second. If he was mine I would call it a day. It looked hard work all the way round.

I haven't seen the race yet, will watch later but I agree, he's nearly 11, had his issues and doesn't owe them anything, let him go do something else, I think he would do well showing

Haven't seen any announcements about Might Bite so looks like they're persisting with him despite him clearly having enough

fankino04

Visit site
Haven't seen any announcements about Might Bite so looks like they're persisting with him despite him clearly having enough[/QUOTE]
I always wonder in situations like this who's the driving force in keeping the horse in training between owner and trainer, obviously the owner will always have the final say but if you aren't an owner who is especially knowledgeable (and that's probably alot of them) I wonder how much the trainer influences them to keep going and which trainers are the most genuine when doing this.

Clodagh

Visit site
Haven't seen any announcements about Might Bite so looks like they're persisting with him despite him clearly having enough
I always wonder in situations like this who's the driving force in keeping the horse in training between owner and trainer, obviously the owner will always have the final say but if you aren't an owner who is especially knowledgeable (and that's probably alot of them) I wonder how much the trainer influences them to keep going and which trainers are the most genuine when doing this.[/QUOTE]

I can’t see NH pushing to keep Might Bite clogging up a stable.
Altior struggled today, I got the impression in the interview that the Game Spirit will be crunch time.

scotlass

Visit site
Altior was beaten by a very good horse in the making today. That said, Nico de Boinville looked to be sending out help signals at times, and having watched Chacun Pour Soi running at Leopardstown an hour or so previously, on today's performances, the only view Altior may see of him at Cheltenham is his backside.

Shishkin won easily enough, but made a couple of novicey mistakes on the way round given that this is only his 9th race and a rising 7 year old.

Whilst disappointed with Epatante, who wasn't cheering on the nearly white Silver Streak on King George day that is synonymous with the legend that is Desert Orchid ?

Clodagh

Visit site
Altior was beaten by a very good horse in the making today. That said, Nico de Boinville looked to be sending out help signals at times, and having watched Chacun Pour Soi running at Leopardstown an hour or so previously, on today's performances, the only view Altior may see of him at Cheltenham is his backside.

Shishkin won easily enough, but made a couple of novicey mistakes on the way round given that this is only his 9th race and a rising 7 year old.

Whilst disappointed with Epatante, who wasn't cheering on the nearly white Silver Streak on King George day that is synonymous with the legend that is Desert Orchid ?

You have to love SS. He looks like a Connemara pony and runs like a buck. He has such a happy face.

photo_jo

Visit site
Altior 2nd today. He didn't look the force of all, looks tapped for toe every step of the way now.

Nube Negra absolutely hacked up! He looks like a proper horse for the future, Hopefully they give him a nice season this year and he will hit the heights next year.
And Spanish bred which is an added extra!

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Glad he's finally been retired! Wonder what he will get up to

I agree with Adorable Alice, he would suit the show ring, I think the same about Altior as well

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Altior is just awesome! You can't compare them to past era's - too many things have changed, breeding, training, feeding etc. Who knows - those horses of old might have been better with more modern methods etc.

More to the point - Who else Saw Nico's ride and Interview from the Christmas Hurdle where he beat Buveur D'air! He tried so hard not to win, wasn't best pleased during his interview after! The owners of Verdana Blue are over the moon however! Their quote after is funny - I know the trainer and jockey aren't very happy as they think they've lost their jobs - but we're very happy!
Is that allowed ???? Is it not classed as fixing if the bookies take a drumming