Altior

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Might Bite bled early on so didn't go far or get pushed hard.

It is possible to absolutely destroy horses with hard races. It's probably why so few horses go on to do anything after being placed in the National. It's a hard race, or it used to be. I think once you have reached the very bottom of a horse it is hard for their body to come back and that's only if the mind will let them. Some it takes 2 years to get back to something of what they were, some never come back.
Can you explain has a bleed early on, I assume it means lungs but how would the jockey know that in a race and would they not automatically pull up for there own safety in a race situation ?

Visit site
What is a dirty scope please ?

Yes race fixing - deliberately not trying to win is against all rules of racing.

A dirty scope - when a horse has an endoscope and trachwash down their throats and either blood, mucus or general crap is found down there upon testing the sample or is plain to see by the eye.

Yes bleeding is usually from a burst blood vessel somewhere along the line from the lungs to the nose. You don't always know the exact source. Some horses aren't affected performance wise by them - Tiger Roll won the National with a nose bleed, others it's very obvious as the horse suddenly drops the gallop, has no power and feels very dull. We often use the phrase - stopped like he had been shot - when a horse bleeds. It's tricky with quirky horses as obviously the jockey can't see the nose from where they are and can often think the horse is just being a reluctant monkey. Not all bleeds show on the outside either. So a horse may perform poorly, bleeding is suspected but not visually seen until they are scoped.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Yes race fixing - deliberately not trying to win is against all rules of racing.

A dirty scope - when a horse has an endoscope and trachwash down their throats and either blood, mucus or general crap is found down there upon testing the sample or is plain to see by the eye.

Yes bleeding is usually from a burst blood vessel somewhere along the line from the lungs to the nose. You don't always know the exact source. Some horses aren't affected performance wise by them - Tiger Roll won the National with a nose bleed, others it's very obvious as the horse suddenly drops the gallop, has no power and feels very dull. We often use the phrase - stopped like he had been shot - when a horse bleeds. It's tricky with quirky horses as obviously the jockey can't see the nose from where they are and can often think the horse is just being a reluctant monkey. Not all bleeds show on the outside either. So a horse may perform poorly, bleeding is suspected but not visually seen until they are scoped.
Thank you for the explanations. Its minus 5 here and I am waiting for the car to defrost so its been usefully spent lol x

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Altior ran well today but what do we all think about him staying in training?

Let him bow out safe and well. I read it though as they want him to stay racing unfortunately

It would be horrible for something to happen to him

I'd love to see him showing he's beautiful

Retirement doesn't mean chucked in a field there's so many other jobs they can do, I love seeing the racehorses where are they how Facebook page and them all doing various jobs, enjoying their Retirement

Visit site
He has been 2nd twice now looking like he is tapped for toe in the speed department. He hasn't trailed home stone cold last or pulled up. Why retire him just because he didnt win?

Personally I would give him a spin over 2m4f to see how he gets on with the slightly slower pace and increase on stamina.

Parrotperson

Visit site
Agreed Elf. I think he needs a bit further now he's older.

And congratulations on an excellent season for your stable. What a star Mighty Thunder is!!