Am i a bit mad?!! Talk to me about poodles!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I'm not thinking now (we have 3 dogs including lovely but intolerant of other dogs old girl) but in the future.
I lost my tiny dog a few years ago and i am a tiny dog person, At this point ill mention I'm definitely not a "handbag, dog being carried everywhere" tiny dog person!! I just love little dogs. Last one was a fiesty little x breed.
I've been told poodles dont moult much and are lovely loyal dogs. I also remember vividly really fondly a little stray toy poodle as a kid who used to come round the houses for food and who all the kids adored.
I have had a quick look and see they are big money but are they worth it?!

wkiwi

Visit site
My friend bred miniature poodles and they were fantastic dogs. Intelligent and obedient and full of personality. And no they weren't handbag dogs as she had a 60 acre farm and they went out with the sheep dog when it was working and just went on a 'drop-stay' if she needed to help a sheep or something.
They do need clipping every 6-8 weeks but if you only want a pet clip then you can easily learn to do this yourself.
She only had one 'bad' batch when she bred her top bitch to a top stud dog and the offspring were yappy little horrors with a timid streak - that match just didn't work but otherwise they were super little dogs.
Only thing is, they are too intelligent for some owners and like to be kept mentally busy (or they will make their own fun) but sounds like you would be well up to it.

millikins

Visit site
I have a standard poodle, but I'm told they're pretty much the same temperament wise, just vary in size. Like collies, they are very different from "other" dogs. Mine is super intelligent, doesn't moult, healthy after a bad start from breeder, not fussy about food and loyal. He had a strong chase instinct when younger but no killing intentions. Less good is that he is willful, he uses his brains for his own ends, is rather aloof both with people and other dogs, is very dominant given a sniff of a chance and has separation anxiety, at 12 that's not going to change. He has been a rewarding dog but challenging. I think I'll get another though when his time is up but it would be a bitch next time.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
My friend bred miniature poodles and they were fantastic dogs. Intelligent and obedient and full of personality. And no they weren't handbag dogs as she had a 60 acre farm and they went out with the sheep dog when it was working and just went on a 'drop-stay' if she needed to help a sheep or something.
They do need clipping every 6-8 weeks but if you only want a pet clip then you can easily learn to do this yourself.
She only had one 'bad' batch when she bred her top bitch to a top stud dog and the offspring were yappy little horrors with a timid streak - that match just didn't work but otherwise they were super little dogs.
Only thing is, they are too intelligent for some owners and like to be kept mentally busy (or they will make their own fun) but sounds like you would be well up to it.

My aunt and uncle have had 3 (?) former brood bitches, retired by a local breeder. They have all been very intelligent, easily trainable little things, although one was very nervous of strangers and occasional visitors to the house. One, in particular, could fetch a named toy out of a basket full of dog toys, unfailingly correctly. She would also put her toys away.

wkiwi

Visit site
My aunt and uncle have had 3 (?) former brood bitches, retired by a local breeder. They have all been very intelligent, easily trainable little things, although one was very nervous of strangers and occasional visitors to the house. One, in particular, could fetch a named toy out of a basket full of dog toys, unfailingly correctly. She would also put her toys away.

Lol - I wish the dogs here would put their toys away! One's a terrier who doesn't think a princess should perform such menial tasks, and the other is a collie who didn't notice the line when they were giving out collie brains but stood in the "be a perfectly huggable dog" line twice instead. The collie is nervous of strangers as she grew up on a farm and didn't meet anyone new when young, and is a bit slow learning tricks, but both are lovely in their own way. I think nice dogs come in all breed packages.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My old lady is a collie. I adopted her after her owner died a few years ago. She lived her life just her and him and coming here to a family with other dogs was tough for her. She’s perfectly at home now but I’d imagine a new dog or puppy would upset her! On the other hand she’s had a few litters and was a wonderful mum so might I suppose take to a puppy rather than the two fully grown loutish labs she found herself having to live with ;)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Sounds all good so far though, I was pretty sure they were supposed to be clever smart little dogs, don’t know anyone that’s ever owned one though.

Moobli

Visit site
I have a friend who breeds the occasional litter of miniature poodles and she says they are every bit as intelligent, trainable, biddable and fun as her working sheepdogs. They are super cute too (and I am not a small dog person really).

wkiwi

Visit site
The Standards are also used for guide dogs for those that have allergies. Just shows how intelligent and nice they are.

paddy555

Visit site
I have a friend who breeds the occasional litter of miniature poodles and she says they are every bit as intelligent, trainable, biddable and fun as her working sheepdogs. They are super cute too (and I am not a small dog person really).

many years ago I used to do lots of obedience training classes. There was one small white poodle. Anything the BCs and GSDs could do it could do faster and more efficiently. Amazing little dog, I have never forgotten it.

Littlefloof

Visit site
Really? that's interesting, I'd never thought of people with allergies needing guide dogs.

I was a sighted guide on a holiday with visually impaired people and shared a room with a lovely lady and her equally lovely labradoodle. The guide dog must have scraped a pass through guide dog training as it was a bit thick, couldn't find the right bedroom in the (not very big) hotel and also had a habit of bounding up stairs. Still, you know what they say: "What do you call the person who graduated bottom of their class in medical school?" "Doctor."

Sleighfarer

Visit site
The intelligence of poodles is well documented. They normally come second behind collies in tests. They were quite popular when I was a child and the two in my immediate circle were super. They were very alert and had guarding instincts too. I've always been a bit bemused by the fact that their public image is so at odds with the reality.

There used to be a standard poodle on Eastenders. He was Angie and Den's pub dog.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roly

oldie48

Visit site
I love them and very nearly went for one instead of another BT as it ticked all our boxes, intelligent, trainable, lively and none shedding. I understand they can be sensitive and not ideal with small children and very busy households but would have been perfect for us, however the lovely Stanley came along and the rest is history.

Equi

Visit site
If im ever old and alone and horseless, i will be getting me another toy poodle. We had one for a few years before we gifted him to "nana" who was the aforementioned old lonely lady, and i just loved him, but nana loved him even more. He was her whole entire life, and that little dog would have jumped in front of a train for that lady.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
They are sounding more and more perfect!
It won’t be a busy household. Mostly just me and O/H. Definitely no small children.
Actually no one has anything bad to say about the breed which is brilliant.

Equi

Visit site
They are sounding more and more perfect!
It won’t be a busy household. Mostly just me and O/H. Definitely no small children.
Actually no one has anything bad to say about the breed which is brilliant.

I think most poodlers have only ever had a good expierence because they are just such wonderful loving characters...but the bad, they DO bark..sharply...a lot..but youll never have to worry about your door bell not being heard ever again. They are excitable, so any guest will need to be ok with a whizzy blur of fluff and tongue in the ear hole and possible nose hole and many times mouth hole...theyre like a little ball of energy but in the most lovable happy way. I don't recall ever meeting an aggressive poodle, but its all owner/trainer dependent. I think any dog with so much energy like any working breed, if given what they need they are fine. If not, they can make up issues.

And to add the intelligence is just out of this world. My poodley house trained himself, taught himself tricks, spent 80% of his time running about the yard like a beast but also loved going to the groomers, never once wandered he knew his "yard" and that was that. When nana took him within about a week he had learned "go get a drink" "time for bed" "good morning" (aka time to get up and go batshit crazy cause beloved nana was up) "get your blanket" he even went and fetched his lead and coat when told to etc....i swear that little dog knew every word that woman said. If he was going a bit too batty she would say ok thats enough dear and he would jump down and either lie on the rug or jump up into the little "knook" he had in her chair lol I miss him terribly now, but more so miss what wonderful companionship he was for nana. She has never got another dog after him

Last edited:

pinball

Visit site
my mom has a poodle he is a mental ball off energy but so bright and loyal
Harvey
rr7775.jpg

1zqvo0g.jpg

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Pinball, What sort is he? I'm undecided which i would ideally like toy or miniature. From what i understand the mini's are bigger (your mums chap looks quite big) and nicer temperaments in general?
Also has he been clipped shorter all over and had a pouff left on his head?!!

pinball

Visit site
Hi Poiutrewq
he is a miniature, yes that's how is also clipped as he loves water so its easier to dry him. He is great with kids and the cats ,all in all a lovely gentle chap and very bright

millikins

Visit site
Pinball, what a lovely dog. He has the same haircut mine does, just smaller. Poiutrewq, if you decide to get one it would be worth talking to the Kennel Club because some blood lines are more highly strung than others, particularly those with American imports I have been told.
Some downsides from my poodle; he hates most weather, today is much too hot, in winter he feels the cold. He hates snow, balls up in his fur, hates rain and water in general, he's almost 12 and has never swum. He is the most disappointing dog in the world to take to the beach, far too much water and it comes to get you and he tiptoes over pebbles and looks frankly bored. He can't abide champagne corks popping and recognises the bottles instantly but oddly doesn't mind fireworks or shotguns. Oh and he bears real grudges. Good job I love him :)

Aru

Visit site
I've a soft spot for the poodles. Off the top of my head I cant think of one I didn't like....some I pitied because they had been ruined but most were still quite sweet.
Toys are my favourites. Absolute crackers of little dogs. clever happy fun dogs with bundles of personality....sooo clever though-have a few who can open cages! Terrible teeth as a general rule and lots of luxating patella's- in the little ones but generally seem to live forever!

They are quite prone to separation anxiety though...and they do appear to be a lot more sane when they are treated like dogs not accessorys...but thats true of any dog.

But I'd have a toy poodle if I was going for a tiny dog.I'd be doing a puppy cut/plain groom though because I think the breed show cut is one of the reasons they are not as popular as they should be!

The popularity of the oodles baffles me when the poodle is such a nice dog to start with.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Pinball, what a lovely dog. He has the same haircut mine does, just smaller. Poiutrewq, if you decide to get one it would be worth talking to the Kennel Club because some blood lines are more highly strung than others, particularly those with American imports I have been told.
Some downsides from my poodle; he hates most weather, today is much too hot, in winter he feels the cold. He hates snow, balls up in his fur, hates rain and water in general, he's almost 12 and has never swum. He is the most disappointing dog in the world to take to the beach, far too much water and it comes to get you and he tiptoes over pebbles and looks frankly bored. He can't abide champagne corks popping and recognises the bottles instantly but oddly doesn't mind fireworks or shotguns. Oh and he bears real grudges. Good job I love him :)

Haha! He sounds very much like my old collie. Will do anything possible to avoid getting wet or dirty and going to the garden to wee on a rainy morning takes a LOT of persuasion/booting out the door ;)
Interesting about the bloodlines. Thanks
Aru, Ah i think really its a toy i'd prefer being a bit smaller so that's good to know.
Pinball, He's wonderful. How often do you clip?