Am I a novice rider?

PaddyMonty

Visit site
I know the OP has left the arena but I would still like to make a point that may help others looking to buy a TB as their first horse.
No matter what you think you have ridden at the establishment and how much experience gained just remember that any riding school has a duty of care to all persons on their property and as such will not knowingly put a person in danger, The first horse (and all subsequent) ones bought as private horses have not such duty of care and will happily splat you without a second thought if they so desire.
So when buying a first horse no matter how experienced a person thinks they are buy the safest one they can find. Both horse and rider will be much happier for it.
Just for the record, I didn't respond to the OP as decided anyone who shortens British Showjumping to British Show knows diddly squat about the subject. The abreviation is BS, much like the OPs posts.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Just for the record, I didn't respond to the OP as decided anyone who shortens British Showjumping to British Show knows diddly squat about the subject. The abreviation is BS, much like the OPs posts.

It was confusing and certainly didn't inspire confidence in their knowledge.

Hi, thank you for your reply! I should have mentioned in my advert, i am looking to go on to do British showing, as I have fully outgrown riding schools we shall say lol! Bombproof ponies are therefore off the cards as I am looking to actually grow and get somewhere. Thank you anyway

I checked and they used 'British Showing' which doesn't make me think of jumping at all. ;)

maya2008

Visit site
For anyone who subsequently reads this thread in the archives.... My first horse was a TB, who had never raced or trained and had just turned 4. Exceptional temperament, found after a summer looking for safe and steady and not finding it (ads lie!!). I must have spent a fortune on lessons 'cos she was green as grass, but she was my horse of a lifetime and taught me more than I could ever imagine. In work, she was always safe as houses, and it was she I rode without worries at 34 weeks pregnant many years later.

I had years at riding schools, private lessons and a horse share under my belt, but nothing more.

Polos

Visit site
EDIT: finished reading the thread and I've realised she has flounced. oh well!

I thought I had mentioned this already. They have directed me to where they source them- abroad. Please read the thread before replying

If they source their horses from abroad is it not possible to go on a buying trip with them? I went with my trainer (they tried 30 horses the day before) and tried 10 horses. You tend to get a bit more for your money over there but you do need to be mindful to bear transport from Europe into your budget. Always have your own vet look at the x rays before making a decision.

I really wouldn't recommend a warmblood though as a first horse, they are expensive to feed and mine need to be stabled all year round as they don't cope with turnout. In my experience they tend to have a lot of blood and can be quite quirky. My current mare is fantastic in the ring but is incredibly sharp and sensitive at home and in the warmup. If I was a novice owner/rider it would be a recipe for disaster and she would be ruined and i’d be in the hospital. I am doubting whether your experience is as in depth as you make it out to be and whether this riding school actually exists as the questions you are asking make you sound quite novicey. You are young and very naive so please listen to the advice from those who are more experienced than you. They really do know their stuff. Ideally you would leave this in the hands of your instructor to find you a suitable mount and set your pride aside.

You need to find something a bit colder that is a been there done it type and can take you round a discovery with their eyes closed. Stop focusing on trivial things like breed and colour. You will need something with a lot of heart that will help you out when your distance isn’t perfect as you don’t want to ruin your confidence with something that will say ‘no thanks’ if you don’t get it right. It’s about learning ringcraft and building on your current ability and most importantly having fun. Have a look at horsequest and the bsja fb pages but definitely show any adverts to your trainer and never go to a viewing without someone experienced with you.

Last edited:

SBJT

Visit site
Hi so I’m new to this and although OP left I figured I’d chime in too as I’ve been following this thread.

All of the recommendations on here are good. I’m a first time owner and thought I knew what I was doing. I listened to the advice though and leased a schoolmaster type first. I ended up purchasing him and he has been awesome and the best decision I ever made. Although he’s a schoolmaster he’s not a riding school horse and has taught me a lot about what it means to be an owner. When you own a horse and are solely responsible for their care you are always teaching them good habits or bad ones, and I think riders who don’t own don’t always see that at first. Unless they’re diligent then they do when problems start.

I’ve seen others that have bought either OTTBs or QHs that are more high spirited and sensitive and it’s gone horribly wrong. They’ve either been hurt or become scared and had to sell the horse on. TBs are also not easy keepers and medically can have more problems.

I should point out my experiences are from Canada and not the UK. Although I did start out riding there.

Lurfy

Visit site
My daughter got her first OTTB at 17, it was her third horse. I would say in hindsight she was over horsed at the start. We got around it by having a months professional training for the horse at the start and weekly lessons for the first years rain hail or shine. My daughter wouldn't even think about selling him, so she needed to put in a lot of work with a wonderful instructor who knew her for 10+ years. It all worked out with the horse but was a huge commitment at the beginning. Not all OTTB's are the same, some are really quiet, but many are not. Ours is bold and brave, fine to ride anywhere by himself. But there were triggers that stressed him badly eg, loudspeakers at showgrounds, racetracks, horses cantering past him. All these things were overcome in time, but it wasn't easy and took persistence and hard long work. Good luck OP with whatever you decide to do. Personally I would go for an easier option first up and down the track perhaps get an OTTB.

Orchard14

Visit site
Just read the OP and skipped the 5 pages of responses so sorry if this is already said/no longer relevant. I have met some lovely OTTBs, some of which live up to their reputation and others which have been sold to a riding school because they are so placid. Each horse is different even within the breed/job and I suspect the best way of going forwards is to speak to the seller about the horse and your capabilities as they will know whether they are suitable for you or not (assuming they are honest of course which we always hope for), and try the horse out. If it frightens you walk away, if you love it, go for it and find a yard to keep it on which offers professional help and where there are lots of people around you for support. Same goes for anybody getting their first horse regardless of whether it's a TB, a cob or whatever.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I really wouldn't recommend a warmblood though as a first horse, they are expensive to feed and mine need to be stabled all year round as they don't cope with turnout. In my experience they tend to have a lot of blood and can be quite quirky.

I really have to comment on this for the sake of other readers, sorry.

Warmbloods, because they are mostly cross breeds with open stud books, vary far more than thoroughbreds do.

There are plenty of warmbloods which will happily live out 24/7, plenty which are good doers which need diddly squat feed in their bucket, and plenty which are so laid back they are asleep. Many used to be referred to in earlier years as German Dumbbloods.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i had a trakhener cross who had the best temperament and i broke her myself and did lots of riding club comps and also showed her successfully, i think she would be classed as a warmblood type. my next horse was a warmblood cross and was the spookiest horse i had ever owned so they are all different, but both would live out 24/7 and didnt need much feed.. we have an ex racehorse at our yard who is very easy to deal with and is owned by a novice. she used to ride him at a riding school so had known him for a year before purchasing and he is still s calm chap although a little livelier than he was at the school but still safe....my loan mare was half tb and was a joy, she was forward going but sensible. on the other hand i have known a couple of ex racers who are very challenging but luckily owned by experienced people...each horse, however they are bred , is an individual so its worth looking at all breeds if you are looking for a horse..

littlefluffball

Visit site
Haven't read all the replies but the first two pages seem to be giving you good advice.

I think many people who think they are "above" novice can get a real shock when suddenly they are on their own so to speak with their own horse - completely responsible for it and without the security of a RS/EC etc. I don't think a "competing record" automatically means you are suddenly of a superior standard.

I have ridden since I was 6 - I am now 32 so however many years that is I am too scared to count! I haven't owned for a while but have started looking again - and I am still wary when i read "not for a novice rider" as it is such a vast description and people have different perceptions of what classes as novice. I still very much consider myself a novice....

I exercise and am bringing on my friend's ex racer. He certainly has his quirks! He is a real sweetheart, the progress he is making is very satisfying and I absolutely adore this horse - but in my current horse search I would not be looking for one. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't rule the correct one out but training/riding/sharing etc someone's "project" is a whole world away from owning it! Much as I love him if she offered me him tomorrow for £100 I'd (very heartbreakingly) turn it down because as I said actually OWNING it and being 100% responsible for it is completely different. Riding aside TBs CAN be fickle and not the most straightforward horses to own! And realistically how much fun are you going to have SJ on something that still needs alot of work?

You are young and tbh at 18 I probably would have been all gung ho with confidence about how good a rider I was and how much I could bring a horse on and want something like that but actually being sensible - no I would say it is not a good idea for a first horse. Get something that has a good grounding and base for SJ. Doesn't have to be some old slog! What about something that has SJ under its belt but is now ready to "move up with the right rider"

Thats my ten cents worth anyway

littlefluffball

Visit site
If you've lost hope at the "setbacks" you've received in the form of comments on here an OTTB is definitely not for you!

AGREE AGREE AGREE! Nothing can take you from your highest high to your lowest low in the space of a day quite like an OTTB! Only just last night I jumped off wondering why I bother and feeling completely defeated!

littlefluffball

Visit site
anyone who shortens British Showjumping to British Show knows diddly squat about the subject. The abreviation is BS, much like the OPs posts.

brilliantly said

**wishes there was a round of applause emoji**

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Except it was "British Showing" 😉 sounded to me like a language translation error when I read it first tbf

Totally agree with the no TB advice given in the circumstances tho 👍

gallopingby

Visit site
Jessica you really need to be able to enjoy your first horse not have too many challenges. A ‘project’ really isn’t a good idea although undoubtedly may appear cheaper to you in practice it will end up costing you £££££s either in real money, time or stress. If you want to show as well unless at a local level you’d be better advised to choose a horse with a few miles on the clock. Just because you’ve outgrown the riding school doesn’t mean you’ve the experience to take on and ENJOY what may be or may become a difficult horse. The fact that you’re stating that at 18 you’re very experienced is difficult to know without actually assessing in the flesh. People’s view of experience is different and without a doubt lots of people on here have had many many years experience say 40 years or more. They will be happy to offer advice but if you ask and are given it’s wise to accept. Good luck in your search l hope you find a suitable horse.

Polos

Visit site
I really have to comment on this for the sake of other readers, sorry.

Warmbloods, because they are mostly cross breeds with open stud books, vary far more than thoroughbreds do.

There are plenty of warmbloods which will happily live out 24/7, plenty which are good doers which need diddly squat feed in their bucket, and plenty which are so laid back they are asleep. Many used to be referred to in earlier years as German Dumbbloods.

Oh I’m aware they vary drastically as I’ve owned several! but in my experience the ones I’ve had have been incredibly sharp and a lot more difficult to manage than an ISH and cobs I’ve had. You can get ‘colder’ WB but they probably wouldn’t be the type the OP is interested in. It’s all too easy to be sucked into buying the flashy types but if you aren’t capable enough then it really is a recipe for disaster.

I was only speaking in my personal experience through owning my own and being based on a yard of 20+ warmbloods who are all the same. Sharp, sensitive and all require careful management. The amount my current mare has to eat whether she is in hard work or not is considerably more than good doers I’ve owned previously. These are quality horses though that are competing at 1.40+ so they will definitely have more get up and go to them then the colder types. I still wouldn’t recommend them to a novice owner though, it was a massive jump going from my cob who could be live out 24/7 and didn’t need hard feed to going to even a school master type wb. There’s so many differences in management you just don’t think about in this instance

Leo Walker

Visit site
Just for future reference, I am the idiot that buys project horses, the thin, the fat, the lame, the unbroken, the ones no one wants. Its a gamble and I have no specific plans for what I buy. You know what I dont ever buy? TBs. I love them, nothing ever comes close to the feeling of galloping on a TB. I could get ex racers for free as I have family who train racehorses. But you are stacking the odds against you with them.

A young girl on my yard just bought one. Shes been riding since she was tiny, hours of lessons, had a few shares, helped rebreak some ponies etc, etc. And the TB she bought is really something. A big, classy beautifully moving horse. He passed a 5 stage vetting. Hes been here 6 weeks and so far hes been lame twice for different reasons and I think shes ridden him a handful of times. If she hadnt had experienced people around her to step in she wouldnt have been able to cope with his behaviour on the ground as hes a sensitive soul.

So far her riding has been limited to walk hacks and walk and trot in the paddock. Shes having lessons twice a week to try and help make it work. Hes already scared her witless and she was the brave kid who got stuck on the naughty ponies.

Im not convinced it will no matter what she does, but if it does its going to take blood, sweat and tears and she will miss out on a lot of fun stuff while she does it.

spugs

Visit site
I’ve owned a few horses, mostly nappy ones that I’ve reschooled and got going along nicely. I’ve recently bought my first ottb and my god he’s a totally different kettle of fish. He’s nappy but instead of a bunny hop and bit of a spin he launches himself into orbit!! I’ve had to go back to the basics with lots of ground work and essentially rebacking him as otherwise it isn’t going to end well. Id sell him if I could and I prob should but then I don’t think it would end well for him