Am I being conned here?

scarymare

Visit site
Long tragic story which I'm not going into, however the gist is:

I lost my horse of a lifetime just before xmas in a storm. Decided that only therapy was to replace him. I realised this would be impossible so am having a 'will do' horse vetted today.

Now back at work and wondering if I'm being paranoid or is this horse an awful lot of money for what he is, ie am I being taken advantage of. I had no intention of trawling round the country for a horse, didn't have the stomach for it and made this clear. Very very reputable dealers though.

So, horse is:

8 years old this time
16.2, LW average confo won't show well.
Evented successfully in Ireland up to 1.05 metre
Awesome breeding
Gobsmackingly safe and fabby temprement, I cantered and jumped him which is unbelievable for me on a strange horse.
Average scope, would struggle to do more than Newcomers
Average movement dishes near fore - this really bothers me and wasn't declared either, my instructor didn't even notice this.

£6.5K.

Sorry if this sounds a bit odd but I suspected if I left it for a while without a riding horse then I would simply give up. Genuinely wanting advice here as feet getting a bit too cold.

Thanks a million in anticipation.

Bikerchickone

Visit site
I'd go with my gut instinct I'm afraid! That's a lot of money, however it sounds like a nice horse, just maybe not going to do the level you'd like?

As far as value goes something is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay for it and although I think quite a few people would like a safe horse as you describe, he's only worth that to you if you're willing to pay it. Personally for that money I'd prefer something with good conformation and not dishing but equally someone else might take the horse warts and all because he's what they want.

Wait and see what the vetting throws up and if you still feel the same losing your deposit is less expensive than buying a horse you aren't sure of.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
No, I don't think you're being conned but I also don't think you think this is the right horse for you.

What would your plans be for him? If you want to event him is his Irish record going to give him unwanted points? I got a bit caught like this - no points on his irish record didn't equate to no points BE, they gave him four and that is a bit of a nuisance for RC.

That temperament - is that what you need because I suspect that's what you're paying for. The breeding means nothing for a gelding - and you've said he's not going to show and hasn't got fab ability.

Sorry, not a lot of help:(

Polos Mum

Visit site
Horses are worth what you are willing to pay for them. Some will say spend months travelling round the whole country to find that one bargin deal, others will say safe and sensible is worth ££££'s.
You are paying for 1) not having to travel 2) him being available now so you don't risk giving up 3) dealer back up/ option to return

How upset will you be in 2 years when your second 'horse of a lifetime' comes up and you can't sell this guy for what you paid for him? If you won't be too bothered because you'll have spent £1,000s on livery anyway and gone straight out and had some fun, got your confidence back up and kept your horsey fix up then go for it.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Sounds expensive - but then you will usually pay a premium from a dealer.

BUT, you say he's safe with a great temperament - and that you jumped and cantered him happily on a first try........ So what's that worth to you?

You will also feel rather ambivalent to any new horse, replacing your lost one so recently and unexpectedly.

Sprocket123

Visit site
Firstly sorry for the loss of your horse

For me personally i would not pay 6.5k that from your description sounds average, plus it has a dish.
Also ffrom the way you ve worded it. To me you dont actually sound "keen/excited" about it? Is this the only horse you ve viewed tried so far? Sorry if i sound a kill joy!

Adopter

Visit site
Sorry to read you have been through such a bad time. It is natural to feel as you do, and only time will help.

I think you have answered your own question, if you have to ask it then you are not ready to move on. If the horse is a 'will do' option, then there will be others in the same category and possibly better if you wait till you feel the pull and drive again and can not live without your own horse.

Give yourself a break, wait till the Spring and see how you feel then. Riding is one of those hobbies that it is never too late to return to.

Littlelegs

Visit site
I think it depends what is important to you. If competing at a decent affiliated level is the main aim, then no, he's over priced. But if the priority is something 100% trustworthy & confidence giving that can also compete rc & the odd affiliated on a ticket, then you could do worse. Yes you could find that for 4k maybe, but by the time you throw in travelling costs & maybe a failed vetting or two looking, you could spend the same anyway. If its from a dealer is there a possibility of exchanging for a different horse if after a fortnight you feel you've made a mistake?

mcnaughty

Visit site
I believe he is def worth £6.5K because of temperament and someone else would be happy to just do local level and low level affiliated but I feel from your post that you wish to do more?

However, I feel you are rushing things a little. Best of luck xx

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm not sure why you think that you're being conned. I assume that you knew the price of the horse before you tried it. It is open to vet and you have arranged a vetting, if the vetting shows something up which you don't like, you can ask for your deposit back. Who picked up on the dishing, if not your instructor? Are you sure that the dealer had noticed? I think the horse is expensive but I have no idea what you want to do with it. Safety would be my priority always and I am prepared to pay for that but I wouldn't ever be prepared to pay for the breeding lines of a gelding, especially if I knew it wasn't good enough to show.
So no, I don't think you're being conned - only you know if the horse is worth the asking price to you.

In the past, I have started looking for a 'replacement' horse as soon as possible and think it can be a good idea but you must remember that it takes time to build a relationship with a new horse, especially when it is a 'replacement' for a special horse.

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
I don't think you are being conned: a safe, sensible horse who has been there and done it is worth that sort of money. I think this is about you and how you feel.

I can't decide for you whether you should pull out of the sale, but FWIW I can share my own experience. I lost my first horse after only three years. During the time I had turned him away to see if he might come right I took a mare on loan. It turned out my gelding wasn't fixable and I had him put down. I bought the mare - like you I knew if I didn't have a horse of my own I might never go near a horse again I was so heartsick about my boy. At times I'm ashamed to say I hated that poor mare - for being sound, for not being my gelding, not for anything that was her fault. In time we bonded and she turned out to truly be my horse of a lifetime.

Losing a horse a horse messes with your head. However I can't tell you what's right for you, only you can decide.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I don't think you are being conned. Other than you might be conning yourself. I wouldn't buy a horse just now if I was you. Your heart has to be in it, you should be willing to trawl a bit more than just one that "will do". It's sounds like you are still grieving for the other one.

Maybe you will give up riding of you don't get another one, but you might give up if you buy the wrong one too.

I gave up for ten years and I am back keener than ever, I didn't think I'd ever sit on a horse again either!

Abacus

Visit site
Are you quietly hoping he fails the vetting? If so then he probably isn't right for you.

That said, my second horse was similar - I thought on buying him that he was an 'average' type who would do a good job but I wouldn't love him like the first one. I was wrong, as he proved to be just perfect, and I have loved him far more.

You aren't picking a marriage partner, but a horse to do a job, and if he's a nice boy you'll soon be very fond of him as well.

I haven't kept a close eye on the market but he does sound a bit pricey.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I think you're dithering because you're rushing into something you're not ready for, and blaming the horse for your issues. The first thing you said is its a "will do" horse. So its not the one. For someone else it will be a great horse. Something else will be for you.

£6.5k for a rising 8yr old that has evented to 1.05 (which is BE 100) and is safe and sane is cheap! Would be a fantastic teenagers horse for pc teams etc. Can't see why something that has evented to that level wouldn't go higher than newcomers either.

I think you need to pull out of the sale and take some time to be more sure about what you want. Give yourself a break and let yourself get over your horse. Share or loan for now. Don't rush into another.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
I think your gut is saying its not right.

Can't you go back, ride again. Get instructor to go back now you realised about the dishing?

When I lost my more tragically in an accident months field in a storm.
I felt I wanted something else to love.
Found my new horse quickly, vetted then home.
It waa so quicken had doubts and regretted buying him.
But it wasn't his fault and he still needed looking after.
I really thought about selling him/ sending him back.

But I waa stupid guilt for no reason and I soon realised how great he was.
Had him 7 years. Sadly lost him in
June.
I loved him so much miss him terribly.

Zirach

Visit site
I don't think that you are bring necessarily conned either x temperament comes at a premium. I am a firm believer in the old saying that a horse is only worth what someone will pay.

You do always pay a premium with a dealer so take that into account.

From personal experience are you sure you are ready for another horse ? I was devastated when we lost our boy and I rushed into getting a 'will do' horse to compensate for my loss and to stop that horrible empty feeling you get.

My mare is a lovely, stunning girl but just not right for me and now after 3 years of trying to gel, I am sadly putting her up for sale. When I look for my next I certainly won't rush.

As others have said, you don't seem to be overly keen or excited over your new horse and gut feelings are usually always right.

On the flip side you did say that you felt able to jump and canter him - that must count for something.....maybe you are drawing comparisons to your last horse still and this new chap is not measuring up, which of course he wouldn't as they are all different.

£6500 is a lot of cash for something you are not 100% sure about. Xxx

scarymare

Visit site
Thanks so much everybody.

I never dreamt I'd be in this position, I'd rescued him as a foal. The story was supposed to end with me hacking him into my 60's. But he was special in all ways and according to trainers a '5 figure horse' - not that he was ever going to reach that potential with me, didn't matter though he loved playing RC with me anyhow.

Feeling a bit disingenuous now. I did put out feelers and the potential newby was the only horse I felt worth seeing. I've an unbroken 3 and 4 year old sat in my fields but mentally not able to work with them as I am ashamed to say I resent them for surviving (sorry and I really hope this vile phase passes)

I really wanted to check if they were taking advantage of my situation, which alot of you have said no, worth it for safe horse and he is mega safe, when I hacked him (alone) he did nothing when a car came by at 30mph and splashed up a big puddle.

Will see what happens with vetting and keep you informed.

Clodagh

Visit site
I would buy him. He sounds nice and you need to keep your eye in so you can break in your youngsters when you are ready.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Oooo Scarymare, have to say I'd not be buying - now that you've updated a bit.

I'd be concentrating on the 3 and 4 year olds.

Queenbee

Visit site

I Totally agree, having lost ebony last year and worrying about feeling the same way as ben, i have to say I am so very glad i have him, there was no other horse I could face riding when it came down to it than the one who had shared in ebonys life. I couldnt face the backing process with him, I was emotionally drained, so i sent him to a trainer I really trust. I thank my lucky stars for ben and thoroughly enjoy having him in my life. Try with your youngsters OP x

Leg_end

Visit site
He sounds lovely and I think that's a reasonable price TBH.

You are obviously not in a great place and I totally understand. When I bought buddy I'd lost my old horse and I was devastated. My plan was to buy something to keep until we started a family and then sell on. At first, although he was lovely and so easy (which was refreshing), I didn't let myself get close to him as he just wasn't Legend :( However, as time went on he wiggled his way into my heart and now, two years later, I wouldn't part with him for the world. He is my one in a million horse and I like to think Legend helped me find him.

He won't be your other horse but he could be just what you need.

scarymare

Visit site

Hmmm, and I suspect with good results from what I know of you. I'm an OK rider, evented BE in my youth to intermediate but now have less confidence, still they mostly go very sweetly for me as I'm a 'sit stiller' so to speak. But I am seriously crap on the ground. I considered all of them as replacements and the one I came down to in the end was the mare who degloved her hock. However vet said would need an op to stop restricted movement and I'm not putting her through that. I will send the 4 year old away though when the weather improves.

Daytona

Visit site
I think that's a ok price for him, I'd pay that anyway , maybe try to knock a little off as you always at try but I certainly don't think he is over priced, as for your situation only you know what's right for you

Skippys Mum

Visit site
I lost a horse that I had had for only 3 months and was devastated. I went shopping again and met Skippy. I knew immediately that he was the "One" but still found myself crying before the vetting thinking I was doing the wrong thing - thinking it was too soon, thinking he wasnt the right horse for me. He was my dream horse and I am so glad I didnt let a serious case of cold feet stand between us.

Its very very hard though - hugs xxx

scarymare

Visit site
I lost a horse that I had had for only 3 months and was devastated. I went shopping again and met Skippy. I knew immediately that he was the "One" but still found myself crying before the vetting thinking I was doing the wrong thing - thinking it was too soon, thinking he wasnt the right horse for me. He was my dream horse and I am so glad I didnt let a serious case of cold feet stand between us.

Its very very hard though - hugs xxx

Thanks, interesting to hear that you had exactly the same emotional turmoil and so glad it worked out for you.

JoannaC

Visit site
Don't think you are necessarily being conned but it does sound like your heart isn't in it. I know how you feel as when I lost my horse of a lifetime I couldn't really be bothered. I was lucky in that her half sister was for sale and I just knew I had to have her but I did wait three months and even then sometimes felt slightly resentful of her when things weren't going so well! However I'm pleased I got her and she has restored my faith albeit a rocky road getting there. I paid a lot more for her than I was planning but she was the right horse for me so decided it was worth it. You are right in thinking replacing can help you get over your loss but be prepared to have moments of regret but hopefully you will come out the otherside as I did. Good luck with what you decide.

StoptheCavalry

Visit site
Sorry I haven't read all the previous posts but I have a similar type for much less money

9yrs 16.1 IDxTB Lw build
Would do anything you wanted of him really, low level eventing nothing too huge but he's very eager to please. Hacks all day very safe but with enough spark to make him entertaining, well schooled. Never sick or sorry. Not excellent conformation, legs a little too close together for my liking. He was just over 1k with bridle and a fleece. I think I got quite lucky and he is my horse of a life time but I don't think I would be prepared to pay so much unless the horse was pretty special. Equally I sold a horse a few years ago at 7 for £6k she had excellent conformation and was very beautiful. She was again safe etc although certainly had mare moments and was very testing sometimes (4 broken ribs!!) She would do well county showing but is now teaching someone the world of BE eventing, she'll never make the Olympics but she will take the new owner as far as she wants to go.

I think what I'm trying to say is paying more doesn't always mean you will get a better horse, you may be able to get a very similar type for much less money. A horse is only worth what someone is willing to pay. For what its worth now I know my boy he is completely priceless and no amount of money would make me consider selling him

Fransurrey

Visit site

Exactly what I think. FWIW, this horse sounds lovely, but your heart isn't in it. You're not sure you'll carry on riding if you don't get a horse, but so what? The 3 and 4 year olds don't care about time. I'm assuming they're on full livery, so I would set yourself some easy goals, maybe some groundwork with them or even take one/both for a walk. Riding isn't compulsory. :)

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
So very sorry about your loss. Life would be so simple if our hearts didn't over rule logic decisions.

Your potential new horse does sound good for you right now though. A sane, straight forward working horse could bring the pleasure back into riding after losing your special one.

Which of us knows what the magic ingredient is, that makes us click with a new ride, but having something that knows the job without fannying around with quirks is a good start.

It was having the ride on a fun, workmanlike horse that put the smile back on my face at a time when I was ready to give up. I hope this horse does its magic on you too, then it will be worth every penny and more.