Am I being conned here?

Merrymoles

Visit site
FWIW, I replaced my boy (lost to a traumatic colic) with a "will do" horse two months ago . They have nothing in common, apart from their colour, but I was ready to commit to a new one. I am now already very fond of the new boy and have started comparing him favourably to my old lad, even though for many reasons he will never replace him in my heart. But it was refreshing at the weekend not to be dumped by a massive spook when a gundog appeared out of the woods - yes he spooked but not the huge over-reaction I would have had from my former wuss.
I am now looking forward to being able to do some of the things that would have turned my old lad into a quivering wreck and, also on the plus side, new boy has stopped trying to bite me all the time and is now loving having his face rubbed. I did shop around and tried a few but what sold me on this one was when my instructor (who came with me) asked if I would be happy to hack him out the following day and my answer was a resounding yes. I then had to wait nearly a fortnight for the vetting and, by that time, had gone from "he'll do" to "I really hope he passes!" Our first month was a bit of a toughie, including him rearing in hand and jumping out of his stable, but now we are getting on so well and have already built enough bond that he will listen to me when he's stressed. So go with your gut feeling and I wish you the best of luck whatever happens!

scarymare

Visit site
Just spoke to vet. There are no issues. He said horse was a big, rangey forward going sort who looked like a real confidence giver. He also said he vetted many horses which completely overhorse their new owners and that from what he could understand of us both (not my vet), this would not be the case here. It sounds like he didn't quite see the 'dope on a rope' that I did as I wouldn't have described him as forward going, just very well produced. When all is said and done though, I could be out this weekend competing on him, with no qualms whatsoever.

Never made an offer before - will do it by email I think. But not for £5K. Should I risk 5.5 do you think?????

Glad to see I was right about his height though, typical dealer "16.2" - more like 17 hands but high wither so rode smaller thank goodness.

Skippys Mum

Visit site
He sounds really lovely. You will need a big sensible horse in your life while you start the youngsters. He sounds like he will do the job very well :D

Spring Feather

Visit site
Just spoke to vet. There are no issues. He said horse was a big, rangey forward going sort who looked like a real confidence giver. He also said he vetted many horses which completely overhorse their new owners and that from what he could understand of us both (not my vet), this would not be the case here. It sounds like he didn't quite see the 'dope on a rope' that I did as I wouldn't have described him as forward going, just very well produced. When all is said and done though, I could be out this weekend competing on him, with no qualms whatsoever.

Never made an offer before - will do it by email I think. But not for £5K. Should I risk 5.5 do you think?????

Glad to see I was right about his height though, typical dealer "16.2" - more like 17 hands but high wither so rode smaller thank goodness.

No, no, start with £5k! You can always go up but you can never go down ;)

I'm so pleased he passed. Don't be put off with the phrase 'forward going', I also use the term 'forward going' as the correct term for a horse who is willing do what is asked of it, rather than the newer way it is used for horses who are uncontrollable :)

maccachic

Visit site
Offer 5 lay out your reason not 100% suitable been on market for a while etc etc. You never know your luck if not increase offer but don't let this out in first offer they will try and push you up say your offer is valid for 3 days and you have others to look at so would appreciate a prompt response :)

I love feeling like I have got a bargain.

TheMule

Visit site
I'm surprised you're doing the negotiating after a passed vetting- surely that's what you do before you spend the money having it vetted?!

If he doesn't have the comp record the dealer claimed then I'd be wanting some concrete evidence of what he's done and probably to go and try him again. But I guess it's a bit late now you've had him vetted!

WelshD

Visit site
In your case having found the old advert advertising him for less money I think you are right to make an offer unless they can say that his value is now higher for some reason

Mearas

Visit site
Must admit to having not read the whole thread but sounds as though you are sorted. The late great Nuno Oliveira when asked what he looked for in a horse said, the first thing I do is look the horse in the eye and see whether I love him. Think it is always a good thing to do because you are going to be together for a long time.

Hope all goes well for you both.

Last edited:

Oldenburg27

Visit site
Firstly sorry for the loss of your horse

For me personally i would not pay 6.5k that from your description sounds average, plus it has a dish.
Also ffrom the way you ve worded it. To me you dont actually sound "keen/excited" about it? Is this the only horse you ve viewed tried so far? Sorry if i sound a kill joy!

Sadly I agree Sprocket :( and I am really sorry for your loss, I'm also looking for a horse and its a pain in the **** x

scarymare

Visit site
Come on girl - log in and check your PM's:D

OMG, this forum is great, thanks so much for the information.

If any other peeps are on at this ungodly hour, Cronkmooar found him in the May 2012 Goresbridge catalogue. Wonder if I can get price he went for. Does say not broken till 6 years old though. Wow.

scarymare

Visit site
I'm surprised you're doing the negotiating after a passed vetting- surely that's what you do before you spend the money having it vetted?!

If he doesn't have the comp record the dealer claimed then I'd be wanting some concrete evidence of what he's done and probably to go and try him again. But I guess it's a bit late now you've had him vetted!

Agreed but I was in real pain at the time and felt like I had been ripped in half. Because I had sent my instructor to see him first, and she is friends of the dealers then I didn't really question the money - which appears not to be the issue anyway here as most have said money OKish but offer down, presumably especially with this new info.

hihosilver

Visit site
you are lucky to have found a horse that will do the job for you. I would forget haggling after £500. You are still grieving and it will take time to get over your loss. He sounds fab and horses like this can take a year to find. Enjoy him, love him treasure him and he will heal your broken heart.:)

scarymare

Visit site
I have just sent the money over.

Cronkmooar found out loads of stuff for me and pointed out that even though he came from Goresbridge he is still a good buy. I did get the £500 off though (they wouldn't look at £5.5K).

Had to stop the car 3 times on the way to work as really tearful - this is so not like me. It actually physically hurts :( However, I am going to stop wallowing in self pity and I am going to make a massive effort to love or at least like this horse and have already booked him in for a clinic on 26th January. I really hope he doesn't pick up on the 'second best' attitude as that would be hideous for him. Gillies are dropping him off tomorrow and I am going to buy him some new rugs tonight as all of my old horse's rugs I sent to the rescue centre once they were cleaned.

Time to move on, onwards and upwards:) Will keep you posted and a massive thanks for everyone's help.....'kindness of strangers' and all that.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
So glad to hear that you are feeling more positive, he sounds like a real treasure. I'm sure he'll appreciate his new rugs (my new mare got most upset about being asked to wear the old horse's rugs). Do let us know how you get on with him.

*Maddy&Occhi*

Visit site
Was totally in the same position as you. Lost my horse of a life-time back in June last year and vowed to never get another again, purely out of fear of never being able to love another again, and that no horse was ever going to be Moja so what was the point. So I lived the life of a teenager throughout the summer... And then my beautiful new girl found me in December and I just couldn't refuse, I knew it was ment to be, funny too as the livery place I kept my old mare at was full and always had been but a box came free the day after I went to view my newbie, fate huh :).

I've had a few crys over recent weeks as it has been hard accepting a new horse into my life but I love my new mare and wouldn't change her for the world...I've started to learn to love her in a different way I did to my old mare, she will never replace her, no! But she will and has helped me accept that what's happened has happened and I can't change that, but I can change my perspective on things...My new girl is totally different to my old mare so I can't compare her and the only thing stopping me now is me, so I need to crack on and ensure that I hold on to the old happy memories, and create new ones for the future. Loving another doesn't mean you have to forget your old horse, it just means you've moved forwards in your life and that's something to be proud of, not sad about.

I would go for this boy, he sounds lovely and although he will never replace your old horse, he will help you to move forwards. In the 2 months I've had my new mare I've moved on more than I did in the previous 5 or so months when I didn't have horses.

All the best
xx

smokey

Visit site
Sounds expensive - but then you will usually pay a premium from a dealer.

BUT, you say he's safe with a great temperament - and that you jumped and cantered him happily on a first try........ So what's that worth to you?

You will also feel rather ambivalent to any new horse, replacing your lost one so recently and unexpectedly.

great advice! :)

*Maddy&Occhi*

Visit site
Just read that you've bought said horse :D ...congratulations, really happy that you went for him, he sounds like a star and they're so hard to find these days!

Annagain

Visit site
Well done on taking the plunge!
Don't be too hard on the new boy. It's easy to remember the old ones as saints, but I'm sure your old boy as special as he was, had some faults. I know I was guilty of putting mine on a pedestal and comparing the new one unfavourably for a good 6 months before I got a good telling off from a friend. Said friend and old boy had a tumultuous relationship to say the least so a dose of reality from her really made me see him in a more realistic light!

Good luck!

scarymare

Visit site
Well done on taking the plunge!
Don't be too hard on the new boy. It's easy to remember the old ones as saints, but I'm sure your old boy as special as he was, had some faults. I know I was guilty of putting mine on a pedestal and comparing the new one unfavourably for a good 6 months before I got a good telling off from a friend. Said friend and old boy had a tumultuous relationship to say the least so a dose of reality from her really made me see him in a more realistic light!

Good luck!

Good advice and I'm sure you are right, I was actually thinking I should apply to the vatican to have my old horse sainted :D:D

He was very special though and we rescued him starving from a field auction as a foal. He actually never did put a hoof wrong though, even though I had no confidence when I got him backed. He was also advanced event material apparently. So for me 'only the good die young' (he was 7) is true. But I have to move on and I hope the newbie, will help me to do that. I had no idea that mental anguish could cause actual real physical pain. I have learned alot this last month.

Annagain

Visit site
Good advice and I'm sure you are right, I was actually thinking I should apply to the vatican to have my old horse sainted :D:D

He was very special though and we rescued him starving from a field auction as a foal. He actually never did put a hoof wrong though, even though I had no confidence when I got him backed. He was also advanced event material apparently. So for me 'only the good die young' (he was 7) is true. But I have to move on and I hope the newbie, will help me to do that. I had no idea that mental anguish could cause actual real physical pain. I have learned alot this last month.

I think there's quite a waiting list at the Equine Beatification department! I was the same with mine, but if I look at it objectively he was a typical section D - bolshy, arrogant but with that something oh so special! I had total faith in him, trusted him with my life.