Am I being stupid?

sharonmaskell

Visit site
I will try and make this as short as possible but really need some sound advice. My husband bought Bob for me as a racehorse, but after a tendon injury and a year off we decided to take him out of racing. Just over a year ago we put Bob on full livery at a great yard 10 mins from our home. Even though he is on full livery my husband and I go down every night to groom, skip out and generally spoil him. He wants for nothing.
I do not ride him however. A lovely girl does that for me. She is now away at uni so he is not being ridden that much. We lunge him twice a week, and walk him around the outdoor school.
Now this is my problem. Someone on the yard has made comments that he is being wasted, and it is a shame that he is not ridden more. I get the impression that we are viewed as the sweet old couple with a big pet (we are 55 by the way!)
I have not ridden for 30 years, but both myself and my husband are doing the BHS horse owners courses. Now my question is, do you think it would be stupid for me to start riding him at my age, and the fact that he is 17.1 and I am 4ft 11 and weigh 7st 8lbs.
Please be kind!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
If he is being well looked after and is happy there is nothing wrong with his life. He would choose his current life over a ridden one probably! Tell them to mind their own business. If someone else came along who could ride him, great, but it doesn't matter if they don't. Just keep enjoying him.

Ha- just actually read the question at the end! No it wouldn't be stupid for you to ride him. Why not book a few lessons and see how you get on/feel, then decide from there..?

Sheep

Visit site
If he is quiet enough to cope with you being a little rusty, I don't see why not- why not get your sharer to help you out initially, will mean he is fitter when she comes back to ride. Is she on uni hols at the minute? Otherwise, have you considered having a few lessons on a schoolmaster at a local riding school? Good luck!

ihatework

Visit site
That is a very difficult question to answer.
I would say it would be silly to ride him as the situation stands.
Have some lessons at a riding school and in the interim have a knowlegable person assess him for his suitability for you long-term to ride.
In my opinion, your age, height, weight won't be the deciding factor - but your horses sporty past could be the limiting factor for a novice rider.

scheherazade

Visit site
Horses do not have ambitions, and certainly one that is happy and being well looked after wouldn't rather be ridden necessarily. However if you want to get on and ride then there is nothing stopping you - if you haven't ridden for a while you might want to get an instructor in, at least for the first few times. In terms of size, you might feel that you're a long way up / overhorsed, but as long as you are happy and confident doing what you want to do, then why not. Good luck whatever you decide

TrasaM

Visit site
If you've ridden before and start having lessons again then I can't see a reason why you can't ride him yourself. As long as he's calm and well behaved. You might need a very tall mounting block though if you're only 4'11" :) you might as well give it a go and age isn't a problem if you're fit and healthy. I took up riding fir the first time aged 52. Sadly courtesy of riding horses I am now a bit less sound than I was but I'm very happy. Best of luck with your Bob.
PS. Horse does not care about anything other than having enough food water and company.

Last edited:

sharonmaskell

Visit site
I think he is really content with his life - he certainly could not be loved any more than he is. I think everybody thinks they are an expert, and sometimes they can make you feel very inadequate.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
My horse just asked if he can come to live with you lol :D
All joking aside, your horse sounds like he has a lovely life as it is. I think you have to decide if you WANT to ride or just feel you SHOULD. You have nothing to lose by having a few lessons and seeing how you feel though :)
At the end of day as long as your boy is happy and his physical/mental needs are being met appropriately then he is not "wasted".

sharonmaskell

Visit site
I would also say that he is very calm in the school. I would not consider hacking him out though, I am not that brave. I have got an instructor who will come to the yard to give me lessons. What upsets me more is that he now has a home for life with a mum and dad who love him to bits I dread to think what could have happened to him. And Holly08 you are right, I think he would be happy to just retire!!!

Arizahn

Visit site
I will try and make this as short as possible but really need some sound advice. My husband bought Bob for me as a racehorse, but after a tendon injury and a year off we decided to take him out of racing. Just over a year ago we put Bob on full livery at a great yard 10 mins from our home. Even though he is on full livery my husband and I go down every night to groom, skip out and generally spoil him. He wants for nothing.
I do not ride him however. A lovely girl does that for me. She is now away at uni so he is not being ridden that much. We lunge him twice a week, and walk him around the outdoor school.
Now this is my problem. Someone on the yard has made comments that he is being wasted, and it is a shame that he is not ridden more. I get the impression that we are viewed as the sweet old couple with a big pet (we are 55 by the way!)
I have not ridden for 30 years, but both myself and my husband are doing the BHS horse owners courses. Now my question is, do you think it would be stupid for me to start riding him at my age, and the fact that he is 17.1 and I am 4ft 11 and weigh 7st 8lbs.
Please be kind!

Wait.

We have someone here, who is doing the right thing by their ex-racehorse, and they have been criticised for that?

OP, unless the other livery is some incredible rider that wishes to exercise Bob free of charge, then frankly they can go jump in the nearest muck heap! Good on you, enjoy your horse :)

sharonmaskell

Visit site
Thank you for your kind comments. I think we know him very well now, and he is totally relaxed and happy. He keeps the weight on, and his coat is so shiny for this time of year we are always getting compliments. I think people are not aware of the work racehorses have to do from an early age. We just felt that he deserves an easier life. Arizahn, no she would not ride him!

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Do what you want and sod 'em!

If you want to continue like that, then do so! Who cares if he's not being ridden? You are enjoying him with what you are doing, the horse has his basic needs and much more met, it's got jack ***t to do with anyone else!

How I loathe it when people stick their oar in where it's not wanted. Different if you didn't give a damn and left him starving...

Tell her to mind her own....or would you like me to do it for you??

AmieeT

Visit site
I'm certainly no expert, but quite frankly it's no one's business but your own whether or not he is wasted. Who cares, so long as he is happy and healthy?!
As for the riding, I know of a lady who took up riding at the ripe old age of 70- never met her but it'd been her dream, she'd just never got around to it.
Good luck, I'd love to hear how you get on if you decide to go for it :) x

Last edited:

windand rain

Visit site
If you really want to ride him then I can see no problem however if you would be doing it because some numpty thinks he is being wasted then don't take any notice. He sounds like a real dream horse and is happy and well cared for I bet he loves life to the full now

pippixox

Visit site
i think people saying horses are being 'wasted' because they are not being ridden are not thinking like a horse would. if they have food and shelter and company they are happy :D sounds like he has a fabulous life with you. but if you want to ride, go for it, even if only pottering around the school.
i have an ex-racer and personally he does seem to enjoy work- he is always ears forward and happy on a hack, but he is very safe on his own and i am confident. also he is arthritic and work keeps him moving and joints better. but the last 3 weeks due to weather, lack of time and also losing a shoe he has not been ridden. still calm and happy, enjoying grooms.
ignore them

sharonmaskell

Visit site
Do what you want and sod 'em!

If you want to continue like that, then do so! Who cares if he's not being ridden? You are enjoying him with what you are doing, the horse has his basic needs and much more met, it's got jack ***t to do with anyone else!

How I loathe it when people stick their oar in where it's not wanted. Different if you didn't give a damn and left him starving...

Tell her to mind her own....or would you like me to do it for you??

Love this. I do feel I am being pushed into something that probably would not be beneficial to either of us! We thoroughly enjoy our time with him now, and in the spring we are looking forward to some lovely in hand walks. Thank you so much everyone, you have made me feel so much better.

star26

Visit site
Sounds like your boy is living the horsey dream! Try not to worry about what certain people at your yard think, it's none of their business what you do with your horse- there are plenty of worse things that could be happening!

If your boy is fairly sensible then i don't see why you shouldn't start riding him. Get your instructor to come and help, start slow with lessons in the school, and see how it goes. Once you build up some confidence on him you may even want to start doing small hacks.

Perhaps in the meantime you could find someone else who wants to hack him out for you, even if it's just once a week. This would really help to get him used to going out, seeing new things etc. That way if you ever do want to start hacking, hopefully he will be a lot more settled doing so, which would really help with your confidence if you ever do want to go out and about.

You could also start taking him out for walks in hand (with your husband) if you feel up to it. There's a lady near me who doesn't ride but walks her horse out round the lanes everyday- i think it's nice for them to have a change of scenery once in a while.

At the end of the day it sounds like Bob has a lovely life and if nothing were to change i'm sure he wouldn't mind! :)

FNC

Visit site
My horse is not ridden at all at the moment. She enjoys life like yours does with plenty of pampering, food and company! I can't ride due to a bad back and the person who was riding her has other committments so she is happy just being a horse for the time being !

Hope you continue to enjoy him :)

luckyoldme

Visit site
Come on Op man up!
you are in your fifties and enjoy what you are doing. Your horse has a life that many many ex racers would die for..................Lifes to short you should know that!

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I am sure that your horse does not mind one bit that he is not ridden as long as he has attention and is looked after. OP have you thought of having some lessons and see how you get on with that and if you feel confident enough give riding him a go. Good luck, I am sure he is one lucky, happy ex racer who has obviously ended up with a great owner.

sharonmaskell

Visit site
Come on Op man up!
you are in your fifties and enjoy what you are doing. Your horse has a life that many many ex racers would die for..................Lifes to short you should know that!

You are so right! As I have got older I have become more mellow. But the comments on the forum have made me realise that I am doing ok by my boy, and that is all that matters.

sharonmaskell

Visit site
I am sure that your horse does not mind one bit that he is not ridden as long as he has attention and is looked after. OP have you thought of having some lessons and see how you get on with that and if you feel confident enough give riding him a go. Good luck, I am sure he is one lucky, happy ex racer who has obviously ended up with a great owner.

Thank you.

JLD

Visit site
I have a similar problem at the other end of the spectrum ! my boy is 13.2 and I dont ride him as I am currently too heavy. however he is fed cared for and loved. he is a happy boy. before I got him he was also not ridden but in a field hungry and uncared for. I dont think he would be happier if I was magically thinner and started riding him. He lives the life of Riley as does yours by the sound of it. I dont love mine any less for not riding. celebrate your joy in having a horse and caring for it well. I spent years having a horse I didnt really want to ride anyway and none of us enjoyed it much. I much prefer having my boy to pamper instead !

Chestnut horse

Visit site
What a lovely genuine post, you love you horse and have obviously spent a lot of time with him. It is very therapeutic to spend time with a horse so completely and utterly ignore what anyone else says about him being wasted, he is living the life of a king and you are getting benefits as well. Ride him if you feel you would like to ride not because other people think you should do it, if you do want to ride him I'm sure you will be fine riding in the school, starting with just 10 minute sessions. Try and arrange it when there is no one else there - if you enjoy it then carry on. Remember he now trusts you so you will be able to trust him for these short rides if you so wish.
What ever you decide I wish you the best of luck, and 55 is on age at all look at the Queen 86 and still rides, you determine who you are not a number. :)

Tobiano

Visit site
Yes love this thread. Good for you OP, your horse is clearly very lucky to have you and hubby as owners. Do try and ignore any silly comments from other people on the yard. Quite frankly if you did start riding they are just as likely to offer unwanted advice about that too and if you give in to all of that you could find yourself following the Hunt next Boxing Day! Enjoy Bob and your walks :)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I think he is really content with his life - he certainly could not be loved any more than he is. I think everybody thinks they are an expert, and sometimes they can make you feel very inadequate.

What a wonderfuly lucky horse.

I'm not sure I'd rush to get on board in your shoes. Especially due to external pressures. If you would like to see him ridden why not advertise for a rider or ask the yard to exercise him?