Am I doing the right thing?

SeptemberRain

Visit site
My horse is fat. Not horrifically but definitely fat.

I've fenced off a small section of his very large field for him to be in overnight and he then comes in during the day.

His section is big enough for him to trot around in and I've made it as track like as possible to encourage movement. We really have a ridiculous amount of grass so am reluctant to make it any bigger for now. I'm also increasing his exercise.

The problem is I'm feeling awful about separating him off from his companions. He can still see them but can only interact when they decide to be near him.
He seems happy enough and I leave him grazing away but the guilt is there.

Keep telling myself prevention is better than cure but struggling to convince myself!

Am I doing the right thing?

Nudibranch

Visit site
If he seems content and is grazing happily then I wouldn't worry. Definitely the best option.
I put my 3yo out in the remainder of the field overnight while her fat pal stays on the track - neither of them seem to be bothered.

Reactions: DD

SeptemberRain

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies. You've all reiterated my thinking so that's reassuring.

I tried a muzzle, trying to prevent separating, but that didn't go well and he got himself really quite stressed about it.

His crest is just on the verge of becoming too much so needs must I suppose!

Thanks again.

oldie48

Visit site
Ha, going through the same feelings with my fatty. I've got him in a muzzle in the day and he looks thoroughly miserable although he's managing to eat. He comes in to a small trickle net of soaked hay and gets the rest of his overnight ration, double netted at 21.30. Poor boy, he lives to eat which is good in a way as he is very determined to find a way to get something in his rather substantial belly. Cruel to be kind!

tristar

Visit site
taking action to prevent fatness is better than seeing if they go down with lami or trying to get all that fat off again, and preserving the grass you have as feed for the future when the grass goes a bit harder later in the season, multiple benefits

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies. You've all reiterated my thinking so that's reassuring.

I tried a muzzle, trying to prevent separating, but that didn't go well and he got himself really quite stressed about it.

His crest is just on the verge of becoming too much so needs must I suppose!

Thanks again.

Magnesium oxide can help with fat pads and crests it's cheap to buy natural horse supplies sell it, I would feed it to my mare from about March through to about October and I think it can really help as long as you restrict there grazing.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I think your management is excellent and far preferable to life in a muzzle. You've increased exercise and balanced turnout with stabling in the day. That's exactly what I did with my IR horse. We made a kind of track maze so he could move around without feeling too contained. Judging by the worn out grass outside the fencing, his field companions spent a fair amount of time keeping him company.
Turning a blind eye and allowing a horse to suffer the misery of laminitis is cruel, as is making a horse wear a muzzle 24/7 while rugging it and not exercising it.
You've got it right. Don't feel bad.

SeptemberRain

Visit site
Magnesium oxide can help with fat pads and crests it's cheap to buy natural horse supplies sell it, I would feed it to my mare from about March through to about October and I think it can really help as long as you restrict there grazing.

I've actually got that but it went completely out of my mind to put him back on it! Thank you for mentioning it.

SeptemberRain

Visit site
I think your management is excellent and far preferable to life in a muzzle. You've increased exercise and balanced turnout with stabling in the day. That's exactly what I did with my IR horse. We made a kind of track maze so he could move around without feeling too contained. Judging by the worn out grass outside the fencing, his field companions spent a fair amount of time keeping him company.
Turning a blind eye and allowing a horse to suffer the misery of laminitis is cruel, as is making a horse wear a muzzle 24/7 while rugging it and not exercising it.
You've got it right. Don't feel bad.

Thank you for this, it was really lovely to read.

Bertolie

Visit site
Do whatever it takes to ensure your horse doesn't get laminitis. My mare has been on box rest for the last 10 months after being diagnosed and xrays confirming rotation in both front feet. She is able to start in hand exercise now but still cant have any turnout. She got fat and i didn't notice....or chose not to notice. Its only now that she has lost nearly 100kgs that i can see just how fat she had become! Get your horse's weight under control by whatever means you can.....laminitis is something i wouldnt wish on my worst enemy!

SeptemberRain

Visit site
Do whatever it takes to ensure your horse doesn't get laminitis. My mare has been on box rest for the last 10 months after being diagnosed and xrays confirming rotation in both front feet. She is able to start in hand exercise now but still cant have any turnout. She got fat and i didn't notice....or chose not to notice. Its only now that she has lost nearly 100kgs that i can see just how fat she had become! Get your horse's weight under control by whatever means you can.....laminitis is something i wouldnt wish on my worst enemy!

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry both you and her are going through that. It's definitely scared me in to wanting to work even harder to get the weight off.
I had a plan to keep his weight under control which fell through when he couldn't be worked for a period. I obviously got a bit too lax and I've suddenly realised how much fat he's laid down.
Doesn't help that I still have people telling me he's fine, even now when he's clearly carrying too much weight!

Leo Walker

Visit site
Horses die of laminitis. I was always careful with mine but genuinely thought the majority recovered. They dont. If you get sinking of the pedal bone only 30% recover. That means 70% die. Mine wasnt fat, he was in work and he was managed as if he had EMS. He still got laminitis and after 4 months fighting to get him right, including sending him to a special rehab livery, he was PTS as the prognosis was appalling.

Every time you feel guilty or think its ok just this once, try and remember that.

SeptemberRain

Visit site
Horses die of laminitis. I was always careful with mine but genuinely thought the majority recovered. They dont. If you get sinking of the pedal bone only 30% recover. That means 70% die. Mine wasnt fat, he was in work and he was managed as if he had EMS. He still got laminitis and after 4 months fighting to get him right, including sending him to a special rehab livery, he was PTS as the prognosis was appalling.

Every time you feel guilty or think its ok just this once, try and remember that.

Thank you for sharing. What a horrible situation to be in.
I'm usually really good and also manage him as high risk being a good doer.
I like to drop as much weight off him over winter as I can with him staying healthy and usually end up with comments of he's too thin (he usually ends up as a 2.5-3 as a fat score by the end of winter).
This year we've had far too much grass over winter and I just couldn't get the weight off, hence going in to spring too heavy, then an issue where he couldn't be worked and now here we are, fat horse!

windand rain

Visit site
At least you are aware lots of people will look at horses and think they are thin when in fact they are still overweight we are all too used to seeing fat horses as normal so it is lovely to hear of someone who recognises the need for weight reduction. You should if possible be able to see a rib in a summer coated horse as they turn to be at the correct weight and the ribs should be easily felt. If you are unlucky enough to have a horse that has fat pads and a cresty neck then keep a measure of the neck make sure it is soft and not hard and ridged My laminitic pony doesnt get laminitis until his mid neck circumference exceeds 90 cm not that I let him get that close

SeptemberRain

Visit site
At least you are aware lots of people will look at horses and think they are thin when in fact they are still overweight we are all too used to seeing fat horses as normal so it is lovely to hear of someone who recognises the need for weight reduction. You should if possible be able to see a rib in a summer coated horse as they turn to be at the correct weight and the ribs should be easily felt. If you are unlucky enough to have a horse that has fat pads and a cresty neck then keep a measure of the neck make sure it is soft and not hard and ridged My laminitic pony doesnt get laminitis until his mid neck circumference exceeds 90 cm not that I let him get that close

I will get the tape measure on his neck tonight!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Definitely use the magnesium.

It is tricky because I really don't like them not having a companion - and muzzled for that reason for a couple of summers. Mine by default did then end up on his own and on a track but he's certainly more anxious about life then.

Obviously an equally fat friend is always useful ! :D

SeptemberRain

Visit site
Definitely use the magnesium.

It is tricky because I really don't like them not having a companion - and muzzled for that reason for a couple of summers. Mine by default did then end up on his own and on a track but he's certainly more anxious about life then.

Obviously an equally fat friend is always useful ! :D

I will for sure. I'm kicking myself for not starting him on it sooner!

I feel terrible separating him and would prefer to muzzle (I'd actually prefer neither option!) but he got himself in such a tizz about it.

A fat friend would be handy right about now! Fortunately he's quite a chilled dude so he's coping with being separated for now.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
If the horse is happy, then you're obviously doing the right thing. Even if the horse was not particularly happy, managing him to prevent him being obese and in danger of developing laminitis is absolutely the right thing.

Summit

Visit site
Nature is very cruel....why does a horse suffer from such a debilitating condition when it has evolved to live on grass? Coes and sheep don’t get it...

sportsmansB

Visit site
I know a lot of people are very vocal about how horses must have companionship and while it is preferable, not in preference to their life
Some actually cope fine as long as they can see others - my last mare couldn't care either way, she was quite happy alone or with others (and I always knew when she didn't like something, she made it clear - she would have just jumped fences until she got to where she wanted to be!)
You're doing everything you can, and it may well be less stressful for him than a muzzle- which works well for others. They are all individuals and he is lucky to have an owner who is balancing his needs for the best.

windand rain

Visit site
All hoofed animals get it but horses seem to suffer more which is very sad when they live to eat. I do think lower exercise and more food is to blame. Ponies for many years were never fed from a bucket. just grass and hay they often came out of winter looking decidedly ropey but they could then graze all summer, turn into butterballs and never ail a day. Keeping weight on in winter is the biggest issue they simply cannot go from fat to fatter without consequences

SeptemberRain

Visit site
I know a lot of people are very vocal about how horses must have companionship and while it is preferable, not in preference to their life
Some actually cope fine as long as they can see others - my last mare couldn't care either way, she was quite happy alone or with others (and I always knew when she didn't like something, she made it clear - she would have just jumped fences until she got to where she wanted to be!)
You're doing everything you can, and it may well be less stressful for him than a muzzle- which works well for others. They are all individuals and he is lucky to have an owner who is balancing his needs for the best.

That you, that's really sweet. I really do my absolute best for him but it never feels enough.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Nature is very cruel....why does a horse suffer from such a debilitating condition when it has evolved to live on grass? Coes and sheep don’t get it...
Cows and sheep can indeed get laminitis, but they are generally not kept by pet owners, and farmers are far more rigorous in tailoring their diets for efficiency and health.

Nudibranch

Visit site
Also bear in mind the natural diet of a horse is not green grass - it's sparse vegetation in fairly arid conditions most of the year round and they wander around 25 miles (or could be km, don't quote me) a day to find food and water. They have, like us, evolved to gain weight quickly during brief times of plenty which helps in harsher times. It's no wonder they get fat so easily.