Am I doing the right thing?

Equi

Visit site
Would you feel less guilty if he got laminitis or joint problems because he was allowed to be free?

The thing i never forget is horses in our care are not living a natural life (unless they are literally living out wild on hundreds of acres like the exmoors) and that means they can't regulate like a wild horse can..so we have to manage them as best we can. Id rather feel bad for my horse being off the grass/alone for a while than bad for them being sick due to weight. And yes, all my horses are well covered...but i swear im trying!!!

SeptemberRain

Visit site
Would you feel less guilty if he got laminitis or joint problems because he was allowed to be free?

The thing i never forget is horses in our care are not living a natural life (unless they are literally living out wild on hundreds of acres like the exmoors) and that means they can't regulate like a wild horse can..so we have to manage them as best we can. Id rather feel bad for my horse being off the grass/alone for a while than bad for them being sick due to weight. And yes, all my horses are well covered...but i swear im trying!!!

Of course not, I'd be devastated.

I'm also devastated I've let him reach the point where I'm having to separate him.
There's always something to feel guilty about!

I've been really reassured from everyone's replies. You're very right, the guilt of short term separation is nothing compared to the guilt of a very poorly horse.

I still feel bad everytime I turn him out in his little pen instead of his wonderfully big field with his companions, however the alternative is unbearable to think of so needs must!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Of course you are doing the right thing.
Up the work and go for it on that side and you may be able to give him managed grazing with his friends later in the summer .
Riding twice a day when you can is worth it if you can .
Prevention is much much better than cure with laminitis even a minor bout condemns the horse to life time of impairment .
Good luck with the diet

Ceriann

Visit site
Mine is currently going the same - out at night on a small paddock but this is due to injury. She’s pretty happy and the other two come in during the day with her too (to keep her company but also to keep their weight down - we have so much grass). She has a treat ball (she loves it) with low sugar treats (but she gets so few out i rarely add any) and a salt lick. She’s happy enough. She will be doing this for weeks but we have to - you shouldn’t feel guilty because you are also having to do this for yours.

SeptemberRain

Visit site
Of course you are doing the right thing.
Up the work and go for it on that side and you may be able to give him managed grazing with his friends later in the summer .
Riding twice a day when you can is worth it if you can .
Prevention is much much better than cure with laminitis even a minor bout condemns the horse to life time of impairment .
Good luck with the diet

Thank you. I had considered riding twice per day and I now will on days I can. Poor boy won't know what's hit him!

SeptemberRain

Visit site
Mine is currently going the same - out at night on a small paddock but this is due to injury. She’s pretty happy and the other two come in during the day with her too (to keep her company but also to keep their weight down - we have so much grass). She has a treat ball (she loves it) with low sugar treats (but she gets so few out i rarely add any) and a salt lick. She’s happy enough. She will be doing this for weeks but we have to - you shouldn’t feel guilty because you are also having to do this for yours.

Thank you. Sorry your girlie is injured. Hope she's back up and running very soon.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Thank you. I had considered riding twice per day and I now will on days I can. Poor boy won't know what's hit him!

Go for it ,
Also if he’s tired properly tired he will rest more and eat less .
This definitely was the case with Fatty .
Try to make it fun go for some longer adventures hacking at the weekend or when you have a long light evening .
I often did a quick lunge session when I had not got time to ride twice .
If his paddock gets very bare you can throw straw chop straight onto the ground and let him forage on that .