Am i Insured or not?

EJJ999

Visit site
Can I have your thoughts/advice please?

Insured horse beginning January with Horse Insurance .co.uk. Made sure he was insured before he traveled to us.

They emailed the policy docs, schedule of payment (monthly payments) etc etc. At the end of one of the emails they ask for the vetting. I didn't read down to the end of the email and missed that they wanted it. There is no problem with the vetting - nothing to hide or be excluded. Have now sent.

But they haven't taken the monthly dd. I hadn't noticed - like who notices what hasn't been taken. It's more of a glance down to see if there's anything odd. They should have taken the first payment on the day I insured him and the same day each month.

Not one payment has been taken.

I now want to claim. I have spoken with them and they are 'looking into it'.

Anyone had this.

ps they haven't sent reminders or notification that they haven't taken the dd so I was completely unaware.

Thanks.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Where they ask for the vetting does it state anything like if they don’t have the required info within x time the policy will be terminated?
Ive had that, however I’ve always paid the first premium at the time of taking out the policy, so when I get the documentation emailed.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
It's a difficult one as if you have the schedule of cover and payment details sent to you, you might well have enough for an argument. Do you have a policy number?

EJJ999

Visit site
i do have a policy number and full payment schedule.

I have just spoken to them again and they say they were waiting for the vetting cert. Which is rubbish as they should have taken the first payment same day as I took out the policy.

However, they have said if I pay two premiums in Feb they will backdate it to the day I thought I was insured from.

Here's hoping !

Widgeon

Visit site
they have said if I pay two premiums in Feb they will backdate it to the day I thought I was insured from.

Call me suspicious but this would make me strongly suspct they've screwed up somewhere, particularly if they gave you a policy number and there was nothing to say that failure to send the vet report would terminate the contract. Even decent insurance companies tend not to bend over backwards to help you, so I'm surprised they've offered this, particularly if they know that you are planning to make a claim. If they start being difficult I would push it and perhaps even contact the financial ombudsman service in case they're in the wrong. Nothing to lose. Good luck, I hope it's sorted easily.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Sadly I think it's probably your responsibly to read all the detail and ensure payment is made as they have requested.

You need them more than they need you - so the onus is on you. I might be being unjust but this is a great excuse for them to wiggle out of a claim and insurance co's do like to do that

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I am assuming you provided bank details and agreed the direct debit mandate?

It is pretty standard that failure to provide the vetting certificate within 14 days of starting the policy causes it to lapse. But they would need to make reasonable effort to inform you of the fact. If they dont set cover up from the date you thought it was in place, and take the back dated payments, I would mention to them that you want to make an official complaint.

It is normal to start cover and send the documents afterwards. I bought a horse yesterday! And he's now insured, but the vetting certificate will follow on once vet sends it to me. Then I will send it to the insurance. As long as I send it by day 14 there are no problems.

doodle

Visit site
I would imagine that cover would only start if the vetting certificate had been recieved within 14days. Certainly it was when I insured and then changed companies. It will be in the small print somewhere. It isn’t really their job to chase you and I would love to be in a position where I didn’t know if money was going out. A friend is in a similar situation and hadn’t noticed for over a year no payments going to insurance and so no insurance policy and no pay out. I very much doubt you will be insured but if they are saying they will insure if you pay the missing premiums then grab on to that!

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
Kbis didn’t take my one off payment for catastrophe cover in September. They realised in December and asked for it again. They said I was covered the whole time and could have claimed at any point. It was their fault for not taking payment apparently.