Am I overreacting... someone fed my horse and I don't know what.

scats

Visit site
Good grief, this has all got a bit out of control.

While I agree that OP quite simply have gone to her YO or YM and simply asked what has happened/what horse has been fed, rather than coming on the forum straight away and talking about needing confrontational meetings, if you have a horse prone to Colic, it could be distressing to realise your horse has been fed something they shouldn't have.
I don't think it warrants an emotional breakdown, but we have no idea what else is going on in the OP life at the moment, so let's give her a bit of a break!

OP- please just speak to your YO or YM politely, it may have been a completely simple mistake and your horse may well have only been given a small handful of chaff that is unlikely to cause him/her any issues at all. Don't go in all guns blazing.

I found some passers by (footpath through yard) had fed my horse with digestion issues and allergies, ham salad sandwiches and crisps -the remains all over the floor outside his stable. I politely put a sign up saying that he had medical problems and could be made poorly. Could you pop a sign up to just remind the yard staff and other liveries that he is following a special diet and should only be fed by you?

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
This was what I thought. If other things are making you overreact too, then a visit to the GP (and ideally CBT) might be in order.

Or she might just be having a bad day or have PMT bit of a jump to recommending CBT!

I guess no one here has ever over-reacted to anything in their life ever.....

asterope

Visit site
Or she might just be having a bad day or have PMT bit of a jump to recommending CBT!

I guess no one here has ever over-reacted to anything in their life ever.....

To be honest, I think a lot of people would benefit from CBT - I've had it because I was experiencing anxiety and yes, overreacting to things like this and automatically assuming the worst. I wasn't saying "OP GO AND GET CBT RIGHT NOW", I was simply saying that if OP is similarly overreacting in other areas of their life then that might be something to consider.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
To be honest, I think a lot of people would benefit from CBT - I've had it because I was experiencing anxiety and yes, overreacting to things like this and automatically assuming the worst. I wasn't saying "OP GO AND GET CBT RIGHT NOW", I was simply saying that if OP is similarly overreacting in other areas of their life then that might be something to consider.

Yes I've been there myself personally so do understand what you mean nevertheless it's a bit of a jump. I found CBT unhelpful. Prescribed drugs and kittens worked much better.

But I still "overreact" at any hint of colic as I've seen several horses die from it over the years so feel it's actually a valid fear.

horselady

Visit site
I think that I would be a bit stressed as certain foods can make my horse go really hot headed, but TBH if nothing bad has happened by now, I think u r ok. Also maybe a "what the hell meeting" isn't called for. Just a quick word to find out what has gone on. I would probably be stressed by this at first as well though. Especially if horse has had colic before.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Tbh, it's quite revealing how livery yard owners/managers/clients are so 'meh, so what' about a horse being fed something which is potentially completely unsuitable and which should not have been fed.

Yet another reminder for me to get out of horses completely rather than ever trust one of mine to a livery yard, if it ever came to that.

rachk89

Visit site
OP, you're getting a right hammering on this thread, but I would have been very unhappy too if it had happened to one of mine.

Ho ho ho to all these who think it's no big deal, but I think giving a horse the wrong feed potentially IS a big deal. It all depends what was in the feed, and OP doesn't know yet.

However, after taking several deep breaths, the correct reaction is have a quiet word with the YM to find out what actually happened, and take it calmly from there.

Hope your ned is fine.

Same. If feeding a horse a bowl of strange feed is not a big deal, why do people say you must mix food before you switch to something new? Its the same thing. The new food could have had anything in it, maybe something the horse is allergic to. You introduce new food slowly for a reason, not just give them a bowl of new stuff randomly.

Given that the person isn't back, either they have had enough of peoples comments (which I find it a bit sad that I had to get to the 6th page before I found a nice comment) or maybe the horse is sick. Hopefully not, but they haven't returned.

Telling her she isn't suited to horse ownership? That's just wrong she is worried about her horse. How many times do we hear about owners not giving a damn about their horses and letting them starve? I would rather see someone worrying than someone who doesn't give a damn. She understandably got scared about a horse that has had colic before. Who wouldn't?

The reactions from some are actually concerning to be honest. The lack of empathy or sympathy I see from some people makes me feel sad for them. God knows what has driven them to such a state where they cannot be kind.

OP, hope your horse is OK and that you have calmed down. Just talk to the YM about it, I am sure it was just a mistake and it won't happen again.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Tbh, it's quite revealing how livery yard owners/managers/clients are so 'meh, so what' about a horse being fed something which is potentially completely unsuitable and which should not have been fed.

Yet another reminder for me to get out of horses completely rather than ever trust one of mine to a livery yard, if it ever came to that.

I agree with Tp.
Whilst perhaps 'a hell of a meeting' isn't called for in the first instance, giving a horse the wrong feed *can* be a big deal. I have known several horses react badly to various 'ordinary horse foods'. We have 2 ATM who can't tolerate even a tiny amount of carrot. I used to have a TBx who went completely off the wall if she was given the smallest amount of cereal, she became dangerous to handle.
I hope that OP's horse is OK and that she has got to the bottom of what happened with an assurance that it won't happen again.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
I agree with Tp.
Whilst perhaps 'a hell of a meeting' isn't called for in the first instance, giving a horse the wrong feed *can* be a big deal. I have known several horses react badly to various 'ordinary horse foods'. We have 2 ATM who can't tolerate even a tiny amount of carrot. I used to have a TBx who went completely off the wall if she was given the smallest amount of cereal, she became dangerous to handle.
I hope that OP's horse is OK and that she has got to the bottom of what happened with an assurance that it won't happen again.

I agree. Alfalfa, soya, and barley here.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Oh dear, I was going to walk away from this but ....

... we don't actually know that the OP's horse was given anything, just that a strange bucket was found in the stable. Which is probably why so many people suggested she speak (politely) to her YO to find out, before going off on one.

Lyle

Visit site
It's a difficult situation, whilst it's never pleasant to discover that your horse has received the wrong feed, it's not right (especially first time round) to kick up a fuss. At a yard I was at, we had a new feed up girl who we knew had fed the horses the incorrect feeds. I was super nice, explained the reasons why it was important for them to get the correct one (she was newish to horses), drew a map and labelled it with horse names, and reiterated all the buckets were named too. She'd been shown a number of times, but I understand new routines can be difficult. After about the fourth or fifth time however, we weren't so nice....

Op, I hope your horse is ok, but having had colic once before doesn't necessarily mean they will colic again after one feed. Yes, keep an eye on her, but try not to sweat the small stuff in the meantime. :)

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site

For me, as an owner, if my horse was on a livery yard and there was a feedstuff that it absolutely could not have I would make sure there are signs all over the door, and do everything in my power to make sure it doesn't get fed something it can't. If that means leaving it's feed outside for the morning rather than a communal feed throwing session that some yards do then so be it, even if its literally a handful of something it could eat.

nikkimariet

Visit site
Mine has a very specific diet due to intolerances and acidosis. Alfa and peas utterly change his temperament and make him unrideable, not to mention making him uncomfortable. He also suffered badly with colic on and off last year, we still don't know why. On top of everything, contamination of germs and medication etc... It's really not a great situation? I certainly wouldn't be best pleased.

But, I would not be looking to shout everyone down... I would be having a quiet word with the owner or manager of the yard and if required, asking them to have a quite word with the other liveries.

Shadowdancing

Visit site
Well. I'm genuinely shocked at just how nasty people on this forum can be but lesson learmed i guess. I wont be rushing here for advice anytime soon! I don't even know why I bothered stopping in here tbh but I thought some people may be worried. Obviously not all of you .. a good portion might as well stop reading this now...

For those who were kind enough to ask yes thank God she's OK. Staff have pled ignorance; no one seems to know what happened. This is worrying. Co-owners quizzed (so lovely and helpful) and best possible conclusion is: She had a huge feed that should have been given to her neighbour: a very old TB that is a very poor doer and has huge teas with loads of random supplements. My horse barely gets a handful of feed daily. I've been with her most of the day and can only think she was just stupefied with the amount of food she had. All vitals normal was cheerfully passing dung from early stage but never normally lies down in field so we were a bit worried. She was definitely quiet but nothing really speific. Vet is a friend been on standby on phone and supported us. Just dozy..! At least she seems normal tonight. I've had the worst day- so stressful. But she seems OK. I think I have a few more grey hairs myself tho. And of couse work don't treat pets as an emergency so I owe hours... great (call centre for you). But I can't complain. She's alright that's all that matters. Still no straight answer on why or how this happened but I'm chasing it.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The fact that no-one knows how the bucket got into the wrong stable is the moist worrying part of this, IMO. How will they ensure that it doesn't happen again?

Great news,that she appears unharmed,OP

Last edited:

Shadowdancing

Visit site
Thanks all. Yes her neighbour is very dark bay. She's black and mainly Spanish so fine. The two seem to have been confused. I'm still not sure why or how. As you say that's the worrying bit really... I've put a note on her door saying DO NOT FEED ME... better than nothing right?!

JJS

Visit site
Well. I'm genuinely shocked at just how nasty people on this forum can be but lesson learmed i guess. I wont be rushing here for advice anytime soon! I don't even know why I bothered stopping in here tbh but I thought some people may be worried. Obviously not all of you .. a good portion might as well stop reading this now...

For those who were kind enough to ask yes thank God she's OK. Staff have pled ignorance; no one seems to know what happened. This is worrying. Co-owners quizzed (so lovely and helpful) and best possible conclusion is: She had a huge feed that should have been given to her neighbour: a very old TB that is a very poor doer and has huge teas with loads of random supplements. My horse barely gets a handful of feed daily. I've been with her most of the day and can only think she was just stupefied with the amount of food she had. All vitals normal was cheerfully passing dung from early stage but never normally lies down in field so we were a bit worried. She was definitely quiet but nothing really speific. Vet is a friend been on standby on phone and supported us. Just dozy..! At least she seems normal tonight. I've had the worst day- so stressful. But she seems OK. I think I have a few more grey hairs myself tho. And of couse work don't treat pets as an emergency so I owe hours... great (call centre for you). But I can't complain. She's alright that's all that matters. Still no straight answer on why or how this happened but I'm chasing it.

I suspect the most likely explanation is that someone's put the bowl in for her to lick around the dregs, and once they've realised this is not okay with you they've decided to deny all knowledge.

My little pony used to get three or four bowls put into his stable to finish off - by my old yard owner! He doesn't have any intolerances, but he is a cushings pony who's had laminitis in the past, so the extra calories weren't especially appreciated. It did him no real harm though so I was content to grin and bear it.

Glad to hear that no harm was done :)

emmad96

Visit site
Personally, I'd be more annoyed if I were the opener of the other horse. Your horse is probably a bit dopey because there might have been some sort of calmer in the other horses feed. Don't freak, like others have said, if you're freaking about this then how will you handle a real emergency

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
Thanks all. Yes her neighbour is very dark bay. She's black and mainly Spanish so fine. The two seem to have been confused. I'm still not sure why or how. As you say that's the worrying bit really... I've put a note on her door saying DO NOT FEED ME... better than nothing right?!

A nameplate or else a number for each stable, with a corresponding chart for staff to refer to when feeding/doing other care, ought to resolve any future confusion. Glad to hear she's okay.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I suspect the most likely explanation is that someone's put the bowl in for her to lick around the dregs, and once they've realised this is not okay with you they've decided to deny all knowledge.

My little pony used to get three or four bowls put into his stable to finish off - by my old yard owner! He doesn't have any intolerances, but he is a cushings pony who's had laminitis in the past, so the extra calories weren't especially appreciated. It did him no real harm though so I was content to grin and bear it.

Glad to hear that no harm was done :)

Why would anyone think that it was acceptable to give a horse another horse's bucket to lick the dregs out of? Whatever happened to hygiene/biosecurity?. I wouldn't want to keep my horse on a yard with such a cavalier attitude. And if I were the owner of the other horse I wouldn't be happy either.

Boulty

Visit site
How much of an over-reaction depends on the horse and what was in the feed (for example I would swing for anyone who took it upon themselves to feed my laminitis prone cushings horse anything with a high sugar / starch content)... I'd say yes you need to speak to whoever sorts the morning feeding re what was in the bucket and why it ended up in your stable. If you want to be sure if doesn't happen in future then I'd say you need a note on the door saying not to feeding your horse anything other than their own bucket.

JJS

Visit site
Why would anyone think that it was acceptable to give a horse another horse's bucket to lick the dregs out of? Whatever happened to hygiene/biosecurity?. I wouldn't want to keep my horse on a yard with such a cavalier attitude. And if I were the owner of the other horse I wouldn't be happy either.

It was her own horses whose buckets were popped over the door, but the irony was YM was far from cavalier: if anybody else had behaved in that manner, it would have been an absolute hanging offence and she would most definitely have pointed out the above. Thankfully, we were already planning on moving when she started doing it, so it only went on for a few weeks prior to us leaving. I should also point out that we were DIY, so she didn't have any cause to even put their feeds in on our behalf - her meddling was largely why we left.

Achinghips

Visit site

For those who were kind enough to ask yes thank God she's OK.

You are right there are some nasty responses here, typical of the behaviour usually seen from the same sanctimonious, unsupportive know it alls, on their usual quest for drama. To me, you sound like a very careful and responsible owner, aware of your horses needs and frustrated with interference. There is nothing wrong with that. Glad your horse is good and you have made YO aware. If any of my liveries fed other liveries horses without an owners permission, I would intervene and I would also thankyou for bringing it to my attention.

Last edited:

horselady

Visit site
I think you did the right thing by putting up a sign. Maybe more people should put up do not feed signs as mine is in a field and people feed the horses in fields without owners permission sometimes. Not horse food, stuff like oat cakes. If mine has oats, it makes her very excitable

Last edited:

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Glad she is ok OP and this is why despite being on here many years have rarely actually started a thread. Even the most seemingly innocent questions can end up with a pack of baying hounds.

throughtheforest

Visit site
Newsflash. Giving a horse one strange feed can be a big deal. I'd have been very upset too OP- my horse has serious issues with any feed as he has EMS. However asking opinions on whether you're overreacting from often thick skinned and at times, horsey people that are too direct. I'm not surprised there are some harsh answers.
Hope you get it sorted soon!