Am I overreacting... someone fed my horse and I don't know what.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It's pretty shocking going back to earlier posts where several folk were busy ridiculing the OP for being concerned about her horse being uncharacteristically quiet, and for lying down in the field when she wouldn't do so normally. Both are major markers for possible imminent colic or illness, as any competent horse person should be well aware of.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i have just read this thread and am shocked at the attitude of some people on here....if a horse has been stabled overnight and was laying down in the field in the winter i would also be very concerned..., horses will snooze in the field at the drop of a hat in summer but winter is very different if stabled overnight.....i would be concerned especially as a feed bucket was found in her stable but would ask first before thinking the feed was unsuitable. OP i am very pleased to hear that your horse seems ok and commend you for your vigilance as this could have been the start of colic....we all need to check up if anything out of the ordinary is shown by our horses so your actions were right but maybe you could be calmer....

Marydoll

Visit site
Not been on here in a long time and see its just the same, someone obviously upset and just needing a bit of reassurance and advice on approaching ym, easiest thing to say try not to worry, keep an eye out as youve done and talk to the manager about your worries about what happened when calmer, but it turned in to the usual bunfest telling them they they shouldnt own a horse and need thrown off the yard, i remember when this was a supportive forum, time to get back to that sort of forum guys

Fidgety

Visit site
Not been on here in a long time and see its just the same <snip> i remember when this was a supportive forum, time to get back to that sort of forum guys

As (in number of forum posts) a relative newbie here, I have to say I do get rather tired of this whinge. A forum is the sum of the whole and what all the members make it. Instead of whining to those who do contribute that the forum isn't what you want it to be now you're not longer a regular contributor, why not instigate the change you want to see?

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
As (in number of forum posts) a relative newbie here, I have to say I do get rather tired of this whinge. A forum is the sum of the whole and what all the members make it. Instead of whining to those who do contribute that the forum isn't what you want it to be now you're not longer a regular contributor, why not instigate the change you want to see?

Ha yes exactly. And for all the posters posting ages after the op, the first posts telling the op that she was overreacting were clearly reactionary and timely, unlike later posts where it's all too easy to write a considered post agreeing with others that have already posted.

And yes, we may have been harsh, but the horse was fine wasn't it? No need to start going nuts with someone when your horse has had no ill effects. Have a word yes, going crazy, not so much.

Goldenstar

Visit site

No one makes you post on here it's a choice.
Personally I think it's considerably tamer than it was when I first joined .

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I'm afraid I would have been doing a disservice to the op if I had said OMG your horse is probably going to die go and have a what the hell meeting immediately and get everyone on the yard as wound up as you are.

Last week my Dad by accident allowed a gate to swing and hit my horse hard who was minding his own business eating his tea and also tied up at the time. Of course I wanted to say WHAT THE HELL to him. I was really annoyed inside but because I am an adult and in control of myself I did not. As it happened he was mortified and that alone is going ensure he never misses latching the gate properly ever again. No meeting needed.

MiniMilton

Visit site
Looking at the size of some feeds and starch/molasses levels in them, a horse getting the wrong free is potentially a big problem. I have a friend that feeds her very big horse a scoop of maize, a scoop of coarse mix, a scoop of nuts, a scoop of beet pulp and a scoop of awful traditional chaff sticky and black with molasses. Her horse is fine on it, my horse would probably gorge himself to death on it. In one feed her horse gets more than mine would in an entire month. If I saw her massive feed trug empty in my horses stable I would be alarmed.

I wouldnt go mental at thd YO but I would be worried. Glad your horse is ok OP

popsdosh

Visit site
No one makes you post on here it's a choice.
Personally I think it's considerably tamer than it was when I first joined .

Cant help agreeing with that ! most of todays members would be in therapy if they had been around then. This particular forum had one hell of a reputation!

popsdosh

Visit site
I'm afraid I would have been doing a disservice to the op if I had said OMG your horse is probably going to die go and have a what the hell meeting immediately and get everyone on the yard as wound up as you are.

Last week my Dad by accident allowed a gate to swing and hit my horse hard who was minding his own business eating his tea and also tied up at the time. Of course I wanted to say WHAT THE HELL to him. I was really annoyed inside but because I am an adult and in control of myself I did not. As it happened he was mortified and that alone is going ensure he never misses latching the gate properly ever again. No meeting needed.

Very very rarely are these events due to any malice a fore thought ! accidents happen.

People like the OP who have horses this sought of thing could happen to really need to take responsibility for their own risk assessments and mitigate them as much as they can.

Last edited:

Equi

Visit site
I have reported you popsdosh for inappropriate behaviour. Have a good day.

This is incredibly childish. I'm sorry but if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen. You'll gain zero respect on here for announcing your reporting people.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
This is incredibly childish. I'm sorry but if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen. You'll gain zero respect on here for announcing your reporting people.

I can't see what for anyway? Not agreeing with the OP or AH? HHO will probably temporarily ban PD without trial by the way so should AH be reported for reporting PD for no reason so they get the same treatment?!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I had a colour system here to control that .
Yellow buckets normal
Red buckets drugged food
Gold bucket competition horse, feed first never use a spoon that's been in a different bucket ,wash bucket first never use water that's been in a different bucket to rinse a gold bucket .

I would expect any yard which provides full/part livery which includes feeding clients' horses to operate a similar system.

Mongoose11

Visit site
Disagreeing with someone, their reactions, emotions and thoughts is not being nasty and unsupportive.

This is exactly why not every child should get a certificate on test results day; zero resilience.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Very very rarely are these events due to any malice a fore thought ! accidents happen.

People like the OP who have horses this sought of thing could happen to really need to take responsibility for their own risk assessments and mitigate them as much as they can.

I thought that OP had done exactly that by asking that her horse is not fed by the yard. It is surely the yard's responsibility to ensure that such instructions are followed and to have systems in place which employees comply with. In this instance it seems that no real harm was done BUT there could have been serious repercussions from a bucket mixup.

popsdosh

Visit site
I can't say I blame her if the staff can't even work out how many buckets they need to give out, according to how many horses' feed is listed.
with all due respect you are falling into the same trap! Without questioning the events
Your also assuming there is no other explanation of the events maybe? they werent fed anything they shouldnt and the bucket ended up in there in other ways as I suggested before its not an unknown occurrence . Which is the exact reason most people suggested finding out what had happened first. Do you think a member of staff will own up if an owner turns up in the yard going ballistic.

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I thought that OP had done exactly that by asking that her horse is not fed by the yard. It is surely the yard's responsibility to ensure that such instructions are followed and to have systems in place which employees comply with. In this instance it seems that no real harm was done BUT there could have been serious repercussions from a bucket mixup.

Because of course no-one ever makes a mistake! A notice on the door, as she now has, or a bucket with a handful of chaff in it outside the door, are the least I would expect of an owner with a horse with a medical issue.

This abdication of personal responsibility seems to be everywhere. Another person dead lately because they chose to buy a takeaway from an outlet where they know that nuts are routinely used in the type of food; people nearly mown down daily by stepping out on crossings because the green man is showing, etc, etc. Surely we should all live our lives in the expectation that other humans will make mistakes, and mitigate them if we can?

popsdosh

Visit site

A simple sign on the door 'do not feed' even in the best run yards not everybody is fully awake in the mornings

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
Just a thought...but let's visit this scenario

Said horse is a grade one SJ...going into a big competition the next day or so... and owner now does not have a clue what her horse was fed...it may contain Bute, or banned supplements.
Said horse competes, wins and is dope tested by venue vet under FEI rules..
Failed the dope test, rider is banned, and all because someone accidentally fed her horse the wrong bucket of feed..
I an sure this has happened before and will happen again.
OP is not over reacting in my opinion...
But hey ho.. these things happen

Mongoose11

Visit site

Said horse is a grade one SJ...going into a big competition the next day or so... and owner now does not have a clue what her horse was fed...it may contain Bute, or banned supplements.
Failed the dope test, rider is banned, and all because someone accidentally fed her horse the wrong bucket of feed..

OP cried because she thought her horse might die as a result. You're talking about an entirely different thread.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
with all due respect you are falling into the same trap! Without questioning the events
Your also assuming there is no other explanation of the events maybe? they werent fed anything they shouldnt and the bucket ended up in there in other ways as I suggested before its not an unknown occurrence . Which is the exact reason most people suggested finding out what had happened first. Do you think a member of staff will own up if an owner turns up in the yard going ballistic.

No I don't and at no point have I said that OP should be confrontational with staff. But I do think that an explanation is due
. Later posts suggest that the bucket be!ongs to the very similar looking neighbour. If the neighbour was in the habit of throwing the bucket into the next stable, OP would not have been shocked to find it. Of course they may have been an emergency on the yard, just as a staff member was passing OP's stable, so staff member threw bucket over the door but if so, surely the staff member would say so and apologise that horse may have been given wrong feed.

fattylumpkin

www.thestoryofhorses.com
Because of course no-one ever makes a mistake! A notice on the door, as she now has, or a bucket with a handful of chaff in it outside the door, are the least I would expect of an owner with a horse with a medical issue.

This abdication of personal responsibility seems to be everywhere. Another person dead lately because they chose to buy a takeaway from an outlet where they know that nuts are routinely used in the type of food; people nearly mown down daily by stepping out on crossings because the green man is showing, etc, etc. Surely we should all live our lives in the expectation that other humans will make mistakes, and mitigate them if we can?

If the 'person dead' refers to the young girl, it was the coroner who requested police make enquiries, as it was suspected that she went into anaphylactic shock due to bacteria from mouse droppings. There's only so much we can realistically do to prevent other people's mistakes from affecting us, but luckily in most cases (not that poor girl) we live and learn. That's all there is to do, sadly :(

popsdosh

Visit site
No I don't and at no point have I said that OP should be confrontational with staff. But I do think that an explanation is due
. Later posts suggest that the bucket be!ongs to the very similar looking neighbour. If the neighbour was in the habit of throwing the bucket into the next stable, OP would not have been shocked to find it. Of course they may have been an emergency on the yard, just as a staff member was passing OP's stable, so staff member threw bucket over the door but if so, surely the staff member would say so and apologise that horse may have been given wrong feed.

However thats been the point most posters have reinforced you do not get those answers if you go in there all guns blazing and over reacting. If you havent please read the opening post , Im not assuming you havent but a lot of early posters tried to reason that the OP may be over reacting . When she said she couldnt get answers at the yard ! is it possible they were already aware of what was on this thread so made them guarded? hopefully if that was the case the lesson has been learnt even though the OP may never know.

Achinghips

Visit site
Equi and Ffion .....
Stop continuing to try to wind up by launching further insults. There is such a thing as abuse. Popsdosh referred to me using a reference to womens nether regions, which was later removed. That was too far !

Last edited:

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site

Thanks for this, gave me a chuckle. :D

Of course, the main demographic of hho posters is those with a Grade A at home.

You'd hope the owner of a grade A would be a bit more clued up and responsible wouldn't you? Certainly hope so!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Disagreeing with someone, their reactions, emotions and thoughts is not being nasty and unsupportive.

This is exactly why not every child should get a certificate on test results day; zero resilience.
Indeed. However, your earlier post in which you also insinuate that the OP may be exaggerating her horse's uncharacteristically quiet behaviour is childish and unpleasant.

I'm going to take a guess and say that had OP received replies saying 'OMG YANBU, I'd be going wacko at the YO and all staff', that the horse wouldn't currently be down in the field.

Now, I could be wrong and the horse may have been fed something poisonous in this one feed but...

Goldenstar's regime of colour coded buckets and practices is excellent. A few other YM's could learn a thing or two from this thread about robust yard feeding practices.