Am I the only one that hacks alone ?

niagaraduval

Visit site
I am always quite surprised to read how many people won't hack alone. I know under my circumstances I have no choice but I hack my boy alone 4 times a week, and have done since I have had him. I enjoy a good gallop, and am often out for hours without no one knowing where I am (I am always on my own and there is no one to tell..), although have had a few scary moments (in the beginning, ex racer off the track) I totally trust him and know when I go out that I feel confident to get out of any situation.

Is there anyone else that always hacks alone ?

cob&onion

Visit site
When my TB was in full work i would often hack out alone, i prefer too if am honest as shes so much better :)

nixxyz

Visit site
im always on my own too, and i dont say where im going either :eek: it would be nice to ride in company for a change but at least when my horse says i want a gallop i can and i dont have to worry about anyone else :D

3Beasties

Visit site
I also have and Ex-racer and am quite happy to hack alone, sometimes I prefer it as I can control the situation more. With others I find it can cause more problems.

During Winter I hack alone most days but tend to hack out with a friend once a week so we could have a good catch up. Over the Summer I tend to hack mainly with others but that is due to a change in yards and work (I hack out with the children I look after), when I do get to go out on my own I really enjoy it, just me and my boy :)

I would never get a horse that wouldn't hack out alone!

Rose Folly

Visit site
Always used to hack alone - and still love it. But now I'm getting decrepit it's rather nice riding with more agile people... all those low-catch gates etc. It's a toss up isn't it. Either just you, your horse and nature all around you (and wildlife that isn't frightened of you); or a good gossip as you idle along with a friend.

team barney

Visit site
I mostly hack alone. I can school out hacking if I have no company, and my mount gets my full attention unlike when I have fellows hackers distracting me, that usually cuts attention levels down to 80/90% depending on the horse.

JCWHITE

Visit site
No you are not!
All my rides are alone, this morning came across deer on 2 occasions,
I love the solitude and the feeling of never quite knowing where I will go or how long I will be.
I do carry a mobile, which wouldnt be much good if no signal,and my phone number is on a tag hanging from my saddle.
Fortunately my 5 yr old is amazing, I am a bit biased!
On Rallyes, i always go off on my own, as I like to get the horse settled before other riders catch up,even then I usually see no one else!
Happy hacking!

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I used to all the time, like you going wherever I wanted - whenever I wanted.

However now I have a new horse who I think it's safer to take out in company until i learn her protest type :) but after that I will again revert to long lone hacks - I love them.

sleepykitten

Visit site
No, you're definitely not alone! I hack out on my own all the time, although my new horse will only hack in company and I can't tell you how amazingly frustrating that is!

Charlie007

Visit site
I always hack alone as I'm the only one on the yard!! Thank godness my boy is fine, he is actually better on his own than in company!! Do miss chatting with a companion tho!

soulfull

Visit site
Often hack alone. Before my ankle injury I used to box my horse and hack alone from box too. So no your not alone

I think its important to hack alone and in company

JoJo_

Visit site
My horse doesnt like hacking alone. I'm sure if I persisted he would be less spooky and reluctant to go alone. He is fine in company and I prefer hacking in company too. I find hacking alone a bit boring tbh. The hacking isnt great where I am either.

Lolo

Visit site
Sister pretty much always hacks alone as she does all her fittening work on hacks and there's not many around who want to join in with a galloping ex-racer as he's pretty quick! But she always has her phone, mum knows the route she's going on and her estimated time of arrival back at the yard.

We've been hacking alone since we were 12 or so- I used to ride and lead, and once Al turned 11 so did she! We were more dangerous as a pair, as we'd egg each other on :D

hessy12

Visit site
No! I do every time, other people plod along (waaay to slow for me) and won't trot on roads, I like to go at an active walk, trot on roads and do some fast work, or pop a jump. I never tell anyone where i'm going, I have absolutely no fear and trust my boy 100%. Keep on enjoying your solo hacks.

quirky

Visit site
I hack my mare alone most of the time and have done since she was first backed.
She is bolder/braver when alone, in company she will look at things that if we were alone she wouldn't give 2 hoots about.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Up until relatively recently, for over 25 yrs I could count on the fingers of my hands the times I've hacked with company!

Not that I'm anti-social, its just that I was always working funny hours when everyone else wasn't, plus have always kept my horse in places where either you were limited because of the "working livery" situation (again because I was working and couldn't do DIY) OR because horse has been at my own yard and again, everyone else working when I'm not (and vice versa).

There's nothing quite like being out in wild places with your horse - you really do have to trust each other, particularly if out in the middle of nowhere in a thick fog and you can't see your hand in front your face and don't know the way home; you're never "lost" with either a dog or a horse ...... amazing, and very very reassuring.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I hack alone, I much prefer it and wouldnt have a horse that doesnt hack alone (youngsters need to learn how to behave in company though). I have a phone, tags on saddle and bridle and not alot of road work.

Tickles

Visit site
At present I mostly hack with OH on foot, or else me on foot and him on horse. If he isn't around I'm very happy alone. But then I'm a bit shy with lots of the kind of women you get on livery yards... I'll hack with them if they organise it though :)

meesha

Visit site
I have just returned from boxing up Dex along with the dog - its lovely - I always text other half to say when mounting and where going and when get back. I do stick to routes I know well and also hack out alone from the yard - Dex has hacked alone since backed as I have had no-one to go with - this has made him excellent on his own. We also now hack with others and he is just as happy to do so.

Hadders

Visit site
I go out on out alone 3 or 4 times a week, and in company twice a week, and I love having the option of doing either! Great to be alone out there, enjoying the peace and the horse, equally great on occasions to be out with friend enjoying a good natter!

noblesteed

Visit site
I love hacking alone, the hacking where we are is brilliant, last night I was on the beach, and I often go up on the moors. Horse is loads better on his own now, he seems to really enjoy exploring new places. I take my mobile in my bum bag (!!!) and if there's someone around I tell them where I'm going, but there often isn't anyone to tell.

indie999

Visit site
Hacks alone is on my list of requirements as thats what I use to do. Go out for miles hours and take my phone a rough idea to family where I was going although I dont think they would have missed me if I didnt turn up for hours either!!

Love hacking alone more than in company bit of peace and quiet!