Am I too big for my pony ?

newboult51

Visit site
Same old question! I’ve radically downsized after a nasty accident causing me to lose my confidence. I weigh 58kg and an 5 foot 5 and pony is 13.2 but has quite a lot of bone as you can see. I’m now worried I’ve undersized myself 😂IMG_0451.jpegIMG_0450.jpeg

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I'm afraid I'd say yes
Your height is probably fine but I wouldn't put that much weight on a pony that size . Once you've added the weight of your gear and saddle, that puts at least another 5 kg on top.
I weigh about 66kg or so and wouldn't ride anything smaller than my 15.1 cob.

Bellalily

Visit site
It’s pushing him a bit tbh, remember you also have to factor in your saddle which averages at another 10kg. 13.2hh is probably around 400kg so max he should be carrying is 15% plus 10kg for tack, so you’re near the top. I have had years of keeping my own weight down for my 425kg pony and I’m 5’9”, so I feel your pain. 😊

millikins

Visit site
A 13.2hh pony is likely to weigh around 350-380kg so you are well within 20%, have you measured him though, I'm 5'4" and you look taller than I did on a 13.3hh Connie?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Once you've added the weight of your gear and saddle, that puts at least another 5 kg on top.
Sorry to pick on this, but the weight of rider clothing and all tack adds on average 2.5 stone/15kg. Maybe a tad less for this, being a pony.

I haven't crunched the numbers for % rider to pony weight.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
A 13.2hh pony is likely to weigh around 350-380kg so you are well within 20%, have you measured him though, I'm 5'4" and you look taller than I did on a 13.3hh Connie?

I was going to say this, he looks smaller than 13.2hh from your height and those photos. Best bet is to get someone with a weighbridge out, then you can work out 15/20% for yourself. Otherwise it’s going to be a niggling thought in the back of your mind

Jambarissa

Visit site
If he is a 13.2 weight carrier with plenty of bone then your weight plus tack wouldn't be an issue for hacking with popping a few logs etc.

But I agree with others, he doesn't look that big, is it just the photo angle?

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Sorry to pick on this, but the weight of rider clothing and all tack adds on average 2.5 stone/15kg. Maybe a tad less for this, being a pony.

That's why i said "at least " as a synthetic saddle with a plastic tree is a lot lighter than a leather saddle with a wooden tree

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
Just for reference this is me (5’4 55kg fully clothed in boots) on my 13.2 fell but he is a real leg in each corner type. With tack etc I am just under 15% of his healthy weight. I don’t think the height of the pony matters as much as the build

Attachments

• DD6DDA3B-9520-4BD0-87FC-8F915FAE2D61.jpeg
    DD6DDA3B-9520-4BD0-87FC-8F915FAE2D61.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 153

Bellalily

Visit site

Average English saddle is around 10kg, and I always go for 15%.

dreamcometrue

Visit site
I’m smaller than you in height and weight. My pony is bigger than yours (14hh) but same build. I consider myself to be only just under the weight limit for my pony

Attachments

• IMG_0069.jpeg
    IMG_0069.jpeg
    517.8 KB · Views: 132

Melody Grey

Visit site
I don’t think you’re too big- for reference, I’m 55kg and 5ft 6 with long legs and would ride a 13.2 with a bit of bone.

I think the question would more be whether you felt balanced enough. Re: legs hanging below the belly line as another poster has mentioned, my legs are below my 15hh Welsh x in profile pic- that’s no
Measure of being too big- Google pics of William Fox Pitt riding dressage!

ETA: light work though, don’t go
Out aiming for endurance riding or eventing…but doesn’t sound like you are.

SEL

Visit site
13h Dales x cob and I'm just under 5'4". Probably around your weight and she's got a WOW saddle which isn't light. We only hack but I think she'd take a slightly heavier but well fitting saddle any day. If anything I feel a bit top heavy on her - torso too long kind of thing.

She weighed in at the vets at just over 400kg. You could feel ribs but they said they expect her to be under that. She's muscled up since then so I expect her weight is kind of the same
FB_IMG_1693251977666.jpg

SO1

Visit site
If you going at 20% then probably ok weightwise depends on what the correct healthy weight of the pony. Weight tapes are normally out by quite a bit in my experience as much as 20-30 kilos under for some ponies.

I am about 8.5 stone and 5.ft 2 on a 13.2 NF. He takes a wide 16 saddle and 5.6ft rug I have no idea how much he weights as weight tape was very inaccurate on Homey who was a chunky NF 13.3 took a 16.5 XW saddle a 6ft rug and was 460 kilos the weight tape was at least 30 kilos out.

I expect Bertie a more sporty new forest is around 360 kilos and as he is only 5 he will probably end up at around 380 kilos. I put on weight after loosing Homey and being horseless and only riding twice a week at the riding school. I expect I will go down to 8 stone now I am riding more and walking from station to yard again 4 or 5 days a week which takes me up to at least 7 hours of walking a week if not more when I include the commute to work twice a week and the walk from the tube.

I don't have any good photos of me riding him yet as I have only had him less than 3 weeks but here he is. I don't think he has finished growing yet.

Attachments

• 20230826_160737.jpg
    20230826_160737.jpg
    545.7 KB · Views: 104

gallopingby

Visit site
I think it depends what you want to do with the pony. Weight wise l don’t think there’s a problem but in terms of balance and how you look a couple of inches could make a big difference, if it’s about being confident to ride they just enjoy the pony you have for now. If you’re looking to be out competing then you do need either a much chunkier pony to take up your leg and also as you’re quite tall in the body a bigger pony would help. In terms of how people look on their horses someone can look absolutely fine on a 13.2 fell/highland/dales but too big on a 15 hand TB. Hope this helps.