Am I too heavy to ride??

toonafish

Visit site
I am ashamed to admit that instead of my usual 9 1/2 stone I have been put on meds that make me hungry and have went up to 13 1/2 stone. I was 15 1/2 but lost 2 stone, doing weight watchers so hoping to lose it all.

Anyway, I'm just wondering what size of horse I would be looking at for my big butt lol....

I am only 5'2 aswell. I am nearly as wide as I am tall ha ha.

I hope to lose the weight but realistically it could take 2 years. Don't want to wait that long to start riding.

Sorry for the waffle . I tend to do that. xxx:)

alainax

Visit site
You are by no means too heavy to ride. There are plenty of horses who can carry that weight with ease.

As for your current horse, the welsh x? Would need to know a bit more info on him. The height of 13.5hh on the other thread didnt really help :p

meesha

Visit site
Well done for the weight loss - I am not much lighter than you and ride a 16h with alot of bone - he is appaloosa but very solid. Look for something with alot of bone - height of horse is not as relevant as bone and make sure horse isnt overweight - if they are carrying excess themselves they can carry less load wise.

I would think you would find something 15h upwards maybe with cob/dales/haflinger in it that would do the job.

Just make sure as well that the horse will take a saddle big enough for you ! I am in an 18" saddle due to the fact it fits and was a good deal but would need normally a 17.5" - I am 5ft 4".

mandwhy

Visit site
Of course you're not too heavy to ride, I am slightly heavier than you and have a 15hh haflinger, I would probably not ride a fine TB like most ex racers but one with good bone and over 16.2 I would be ok on (used to ride a 16.3 and no problems).

If you happen to be riding a very small pony, then yes you are probably too heavy, but bigger horses are plentiful!

Littlelegs

Visit site
Not at all. But, if you haven't rode before, you should go for lessons before buying, & lots of riding schools do have limits around the 13 stone mark.

trottingon

Visit site
I'm a similar height/weight to you and have a 15.2 ISH. He is actually 3/4 TB, although is a bit heavier build than your typical TB, but he certainly couldn't be described as at all cobby. He carries me with ease (that's not just my "biased" opinion, but also the opinion of a couple of instructors, my YO, and other experienced horsey peeps!)

Norfolk Pie

Visit site
I know this may not be a popular post, but I feel the need to share info:D

I assume everyone is aware of the increase in weight as you increase the pace? I don't have a scientific brain, but I think the downforce of the rider is increased, due to the increased momentum / moment of suspension of the horse?

In any case, in walk, the strength of the horse is only required to cope with the "real" weight of the rider.

In trot, this weight doubles

In canter in trebles. Ie a 10 stone person is the equivalent of 30 stone when in canter.

Add in to that the fact that it requires good fitness level to maintain balance in the saddle ( i would say most normal riders have more weight down one side of the saddle than the other - elite competitive riders will be drilled on straightness in a training session far more than the average instructor does) and so in canter on a corner the horse may well be carrying 75% of the riders trebled weight down one side.

I'm not sure people appreciate how strong a horses core muscles have to be, in order to support the rider? I'm not saying anyone shouldn't ride - but a big horse isn't automatically strong ( in fact cob types tend to be hyper mobile, so their muscles take more conditioning to strengthen)

:)

nostromo70

Visit site
There is no increase in weight (it's impossible for something to weigh more with out adding weights). There is an increase in force. So the ability of the rider is what should be the issue. The better riders tend to be more stable in the seat and don't bounce around. Therefore
don't apply as much force.

bubbilygum

Visit site
I know this may not be a popular post, but I feel the need to share info:D

I assume everyone is aware of the increase in weight as you increase the pace? I don't have a scientific brain, but I think the downforce of the rider is increased, due to the increased momentum / moment of suspension of the horse?

In any case, in walk, the strength of the horse is only required to cope with the "real" weight of the rider.

In trot, this weight doubles

In canter in trebles. Ie a 10 stone person is the equivalent of 30 stone when in canter.

Add in to that the fact that it requires good fitness level to maintain balance in the saddle ( i would say most normal riders have more weight down one side of the saddle than the other - elite competitive riders will be drilled on straightness in a training session far more than the average instructor does) and so in canter on a corner the horse may well be carrying 75% of the riders trebled weight down one side.

I'm not sure people appreciate how strong a horses core muscles have to be, in order to support the rider? I'm not saying anyone shouldn't ride - but a big horse isn't automatically strong ( in fact cob types tend to be hyper mobile, so their muscles take more conditioning to strengthen)

:)

I would be interested to know where you got this information from...?!

Does this mean a galloping racehorse carrying 12st jockey/tack is actually carrying the equivalent of 48st?! There is no way a thoroughbred could carry 48st in walk! This makes no sense!

Weight = mass x gravity. Force = mass x acceleration. Force issues, perhaps, if someone was throwing themselves in and out of the saddle, but I still can't see how the statement that a riders weight (or equivalent) trebles in canter makes sense :confused:

Norfolk Pie

Visit site
I've been trying to find the link to it, but so far no luck - it was from Lars Roepstorff, at both the saddle research conference last year, and again at the horses inside out one more recently. I can't find the study details at the moment, but I know they must be written down somewhere - I'll link it when I can find it, as it will make much more sense in its original form :)

I don't know what the increase would be at gallop - as I said, the word "weight" is not literal, I think nostromo phrased it much better by referring to force? So the downforce of the rider trebles in canter? :)

Elsbells

Visit site
No.

I have a 16h Warmblood mare, I'm your wight and a little taller than you and she has absolutely no trouble whizzing me around the fields, at her insistance, at her pace and with me hanging on for dear life!!:eek:

She is though, worked almost every day, is über hot to handle, loves to work, is never unsound, sick or sorry and is pretty fit.

I think you have to find the right horse for the job tbh. If you Keep it fit, strong and healthy and yourself square in the saddle you'll be fine:cool:

horseperson

Visit site
I have lost 66lbs with Weight Watchers and wanted to say a big well done for your loss, I started to ride again after nine years a few weeks ago, weighing 15 stone. Since then I have lost a bit more so now under 15 stone, I'm 5.5 and ride an Irish cob with lots of bone. I love being back in the saddle :D. I'm hoping to get to goal this year so I can ride TB's again :)

So your not to heavy at all.

Lam

Visit site
Not too sure are you being too heavy to ride.
But you are overweight (sorry, if you found it is a strong word) for your height.
You really need about 8 stone, 9 is slightly on a heavy side for 5'2
Keep going, you have done a great job to lose 2 stones.

Addicted to Hunting

Visit site
As others have said, no not too heavy for the right horse and well done on the weight lose :).

I don't normally comment on threads like this, and I can't quote as on phone, but Lam I have to say I totally disagree with your statements that you would be heavy side if you were 5"2 and 9 stone, I'm just abit taller than 5"2 and a bit heavier than 8.5 stone, but no way do I consider my self heavy and I doubt other people would either, I'm a size 8 generally sometimes even a 6 in some shops, it's more to do with your measurements and also how toned you are. I would like a slighly flatter stomach but am not obsessed with the actual weight, I'm pretty sure if I weighed 8 stone I would get a lot of comments, I'm fairly muscly so i actually don't look skinny skinny. As I said I don't normally comment but the comment about weight really annoyed me, as if someone took it the wrong way and where worried about there weight they could end up seriously skinny!!

Lam

Visit site
Jumpinbeckeyjane:
Pandon me, Just realised that non-Asian would have a wider range acceptability for the BMI. For non-Asian is 18.5 to 24.9 for asians 18.5 to 22.9. Due to the bone structure. No wonder I would say it is on a heavy side earlier before.
Yeah, waist should take into account so do the body fat, gender and age.
But honestly if u are taller than 5'2 and weight heavier than 9 and in UK8, That's would fall into ideal BMI.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Lam, tbf though op didn't ask for our opinions on what her ideal weight should be, or bmi (which is incidentally not a universally good guide) or for our views on whether we think she is currently overweight. So I think its actually pretty rude to comment about it, & insensitive.

Lam

Visit site
Littlelegs
I did said at the very first, I am not sure is that being heavy to ride. I am just try to say that the weight should be around 8 stone for 5'2 or more for non-Asian due to the bone structure. I rise it from a healthy aspect, and does impress that she dropped 2 stones. And hopefully she would no longer suffer from the medicine side effect.
Sorry if u still find my wording is offensives, just walk pass. I didn't mean to tease on someone's weight at all.

Littlelegs

Visit site
The fact is though, op didn't ask for anyone's opinions on her weight, & as she has clearly already said she is taking steps to lose weight, then its not up to strangers to comment even from concern for her health, as its obviously something she is aware of & taking steps to change it. As for being offensive or letting it pass, it doesn't offend me personally, but, op is a new member, who may well find your comments hurtful & not be the type able to stick up for herself easily.

Lam

Visit site
The fact is though, op didn't ask for anyone's opinions on her weight, & as she has clearly already said she is taking steps to lose weight, then its not up to strangers to comment even from concern for her health, as its obviously something she is aware of & taking steps to change it. As for being offensive or letting it pass, it doesn't offend me personally, but, op is a new member, who may well find your comments hurtful & not be the type able to stick up for herself easily.

The very first post was made with mistake because the I did not know there are two different ranges for different races. Therefore, 9stone is absolutely is a good weight for 5'2, and I did admit, can't just count on BMI, there are few factors should take into account. I did said lossing 2 stones isn't being easy. And said"Keep going, you have done a great job to lose 2 stones."

I said I did not trying to make anyone have a hard feeling esp OP. Neither trying to bully her.

All members I treated with respect, no matter newly joined or have been here for awhile.

If you think I am offensive at the start, no matter what I am explain, you still find it being unacceptable.
Honestly, I don't understand your thinking and I found you are pick on me.

Anyway, I read this from somewhere, how much weight can a horse carry. The weight to carry is suggests no more then 20% of the horse weight, ( that included the rider+ gears)

Littlelegs

Visit site
It's not a case of whether your facts on bmi are factually correct or not, or whether your opinion is right or wrong. And fwiw, I didn't think anything you said was posted with the intention of being rude or personal, let alone bullying. I'm commenting because it comes across that you simply don't realise commenting unnecessarily on someones weight can be hurtful. As for the 20% rule, fwiw I don't follow that, with rare exceptions where that is an acceptable max, I think it should be lower.

Theresa_F

Visit site
After chemo I put on a lot of weight. I am 5' and went to over 12 1/2 stone. I was a bit of a blob and personally not happy at that weight with myself but equally not willing to make my life miserable on a constant diet.

Two years later, I am now down to just under 11 stone and working slowly to get down to 10 stone and ideally 9 1/2. Weight is coming off and staying off and I am happy with life.

If I get back to 9 1/2 I am aware that I am still overweight but to get below 9 stone means a life of constant diet, exercise and misery - I am a chunky build, live on fresh air type. I am comfortable with myself at 9 1/2 - 10, size 12 and am fit enough to do all I want to and for me that is what matters.

My 15 hand gypsy cob carries me, even at my heaviest with ease and is happy to take a rider up to 14 stone. Our 17 hand clydesdale is happy with up to 16 stone, though generally she has no more than 14 stone on her.

If you have a short backed, heavy boned type, don't need to be hunting all day over huge fences, then 15 - 16 stone is not a problem.

What is a problem is if you want to ride fast on fine types - simple answer is get a horse suitable to your needs and go out and enjoy yourself.

Lam

Visit site
It's not a case of whether your facts on bmi are factually correct or not, or whether your opinion is right or wrong. And fwiw, I didn't think anything you said was posted with the intention of being rude or personal, let alone bullying. I'm commenting because it comes across that you simply don't realise commenting unnecessarily on someones weight can be hurtful. As for the 20% rule, fwiw I don't follow that, with rare exceptions where that is an acceptable max, I think it should be lower.

Originally goodwill remind become unintentional hard feeling.
Sincere blessings and heartfelt cheer become nothing.
Now I understand where are you coming from, but I don't think my intention was being mean in anyways. I will bear in mind, never ever mention others' weight neither being under or over. It will be seen as unacceptable, no matter how sincerely was trying to say. Also, never ever tell others how heavy and tall you are, if you aren't prepared for other kind suggestion or comments. Just simply ask, how heavy can a horse carry or what is the optimum weight should horse carry,etc.
Somehow feel like "A staff is quickly found to beat a dog with." =(

Littlelegs

Visit site
I think your over-reacting a touch. There are plenty of times when it would be perfectly acceptable to comment on someones weight, but only when its actually relevant, & I struggle to see why it is remotely necessary to tell someone who is already trying to lose weight that they are overweight, & what in your opinion you think they should weigh.

Littlelegs

Visit site
And unless people are actually seeking opinion, or doing something that is harmful (eg riding a horse they are too heavy for) then imo they should be free to state their weight & height without having to be prepared for others to offer opinions on it.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
OP Most large native ponies would have no trouble carrying you. A nice stocky Dales or Highland would suit you fine.

For mass to go up with speed you need to approach the speed of light :D

Lam

Visit site
And unless people are actually seeking opinion, or doing something that is harmful (eg riding a horse they are too heavy for) then imo they should be free to state their weight & height without having to be prepared for others to offer opinions on it.

Rather put personal detail on the internet, why don't put on the horse's details? Perhaps? Could simply ask how heavy should/can that horse to be carry?