Am I way out on price? Why have I not had much interest in my schoolmaster?

charlimouse

Visit site
Murphy has been on the market for 2 weeks (advertised on Horsedeals, and BE, aswell as on various related RC, PC and local EC FB pages), and I have hardly had any interest. Here is the ad:

http://www.horsedeals.co.uk/horses-...erienced-Eventing-Schoolmaster__6-9-11-532166

His vet issue is DJD in his hocks and hind fetlocks, which is controlled by medicating those joints. He is now back in work, and the vets are happy that he can event at the levels he has previously, but his joints may require maintence. Vets say this is typical of a 15yo event horse with his mileage, and are happy to speak to any purchaser on the phone to discuss what is wrong, and how it can be managed.

I know there is only 1 picture (as my internet connection could not manage more than 1 without crashing!), but I am sending any interested people a link to this photobucket album

http://s854.photobucket.com/albums/ab103/charlimouse/Murphy/

Any ideas why I have not had much interest? I toyed with the idea of not putting anything about his vet issue on the ad, but then though he sounded too good to be true, and that would put people off (well it puts me off if a horse seems too cheap!).

Last edited:

siobhain

Visit site
I dont know much about eventing or event horse pricing but he looks like he will be a wonderful horse for someone and would have thought you'd have a queue round the block!

Only thing I can think of is the first thing i did was look up his record, so would maybe take off his name so you could explain to people why he was withdrawn/retired in his last few events (issues with hocks now resolved etc) so it doesnt look like he's thrown the towel in.

SpottedCat

Visit site
You need to run him again - it looks from his record like a)he's jacked it in/is broken and b)he isn't an intermediate horse for an amateur. The 2* stuff was so long ago that with the vet issue I would guess people think he's not up to the level?

I don't think the price is way off, it's just from the record it looks like you are selling him because he won't/can't XC any more!

SusieT

Visit site
I've said before, he's too expensive with the vet issues. I would expect his price to be more like 3.5k.
With the vet issues, one woul dassume you know he is going to
need medicated when his performance dropped-hence the line that it doesn't affect his performance isn't really true.
A 15yr old event horse also potentially doesn't have any life left in him competiting wise-the old ones still competing well at BE are the occasional rather than the norm-in two years he could be well and truely done.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I think you are just about right on price tbh, but it is a slow time of year and it has only been 2 weeks.

I think though maybe you should add more about the vet details in the ad, as I think that little amount of info would put people off. Although I think its right to be in there, as otherwise the low price for such a bargain would put people off.

Also maybe some explanantion of the recent runs at BE if you put his name on the advert :)

charlimouse

Visit site
You need to run him again - it looks from his record like a)he's jacked it in/is broken and b)he isn't an intermediate horse for an amateur. The 2* stuff was so long ago that with the vet issue I would guess people think he's not up to the level?

I don't think the price is way off, it's just from the record it looks like you are selling him because he won't/can't XC any more!

He would have had another run, but unfortunately I broke my jaw, so am unable to event at the moment!

SpottedCat

Visit site
If you need to sell him asap, send him to someone for a run or two, preferably a N and an Intermediate, and preferably not a sponsored hero. You need to show he is fine and ready to rock and roll!

If you put that you broke your jaw on the advert, people will assume it is him, even if it isn't!!

charlimouse

Visit site
Interesting people are now saying too expensive as I asked on here beofe I put the ad up, and got the response of £6-10K from most people (barring SusieT)! I thought that was too much for him, so put him at £5K to sell.

Lolo

Visit site
Agree 100% with SpottedCat- he needs some more runs at Novice and potentially Int. to prove it was just the hock issue... If you lived nearer where I did I know of someone seeking a schoolmaster to do a bit of everything well on and get going at eventing properly and he sounds like he'd be perfect (although potentially a little big!). With another run or 2, the price is bang on... I'd almost expect him to be more!

charlimouse

Visit site
If you need to sell him asap, send him to someone for a run or two, preferably a N and an Intermediate, and preferably not a sponsored hero. You need to show he is fine and ready to rock and roll!

If you put that you broke your jaw on the advert, people will assume it is him, even if it isn't!!

That might be worthwhile doing. I'll look into it! I didn't think the WD made such a huge difference to his record when it was good up until then (if youo see what I mean). I think I forget that people can't see the reasons behind those WD, so it seems dodgy.

Fairy Dust

Visit site
I don't think he's too expensive at all, the market is just very SLOW atm!

Agree it would be a great idea to get someone to run him before the end of the season, maybe even an open PN to get a really good placing?

SpottedCat

Visit site
I don't think he is priced too high. If you could prove he could do intermediate with an amateur then he's exactly the sort of thing I'd be interested in. Medicating joints is pretty routine in older competition horses and is an expense I'd be prepared to pay for the right horse.

SpottedCat

Visit site
I don't think he's too expensive at all, the market is just very SLOW atm!

Agree it would be a great idea to get someone to run him before the end of the season, maybe even an open PN to get a really good placing?

If you went OPN I'd assume the horse has jacked it at the higher levels and would not take the risk.

diggerbez

Visit site
i agree with spottedcat- it looks like he's jacked it in - if you could get another solid run at novice under his belt would prove that his hocks aren't an issue. i would also be more specific in your ad about what his medical issues are- they aren't as bad as they sound from the advert.

i have no idea re. price really- perhaps ask a pro? they would have a better idea?

charlimouse

Visit site
I've got a rider in mind (no that I have aksed them yet!), and Bishop Burton Novice entries are still open, so do you reckon (so long as I can get rider!) that Novice HC, and then a couple of weeks later is Oasby, and do either ON or Int?

SpottedCat

Visit site
That sounds eminently sensible providing rider is happy they have enough time to get to grips with him, and he is fit enough given your injury.

Firewell

Visit site
Oh I would love him if I could have another *sulks*. He's only been advertised for two weeks and as the Market is slow and slightly flooded with horses due to the time of year (uni ect) I'm wouldn't be surprised if he took a little while to sell though. I'm sure he will sell. I love him, wish I could have him x

skewbald86

Visit site
Last year sold 13year old, only evented to pre novice. Good dressage, schoolmaster type ex huntsmasters horse. He got diagnosed and treated for hock spavins, manageable on the odd steroid injection. I don't know much about djd prognosis but he has gone on to win novice dressage after I sold him and now hunting home. I sold him for hundreds rather than thousands.

diggerbez

Visit site
Last year sold 13year old, only evented to pre novice. Good dressage, schoolmaster type ex huntsmasters horse. He got diagnosed and treated for hock spavins, manageable on the odd steroid injection. I don't know much about djd prognosis but he has gone on to win novice dressage after I sold him and now hunting home. I sold him for hundreds rather than thousands.

but no offence thats a horse that has competed at PN which is something that most horses are capable of. a true school master that will take an amateur around novice/intermediate is worth much much more imho!

ETS- hock spavins are a much more serious issue than simply medicating the joint??

smac

Visit site
Hock spavins are more serious and our two previous oldies never jumped again after and so I think only worth hundreds not thousands. and as mentioned, (no offence meant to any person) but cobs and riding clubs horses skip around PN. not so many have 2* records

I dont think he is over priced IF you can prove he can still compete however if you want him more in a fun low level home then I think 3-4K is a little more realistic at the moment just because the market is slow. however it only takes one person and I think your chances would be greatly improved if he had a couple of clear xc on his record from now to end season so I think ask your "rider in mind". Can't hurt. Also -depedning on the type of home etc, try pony club website we have sold lots through there!

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
I don't think he is expensive for what he is, but don't forget we have a lot more insight into to his record than a prospective purchaser. If I was selling him, I would maybe aim him at the RC market, there are loads of RC people who would love to have something like him, that way you are also giving him the step down that he possibly needs at this stage.
He has probably got another 5 yrs of RC or OPN to offer a keen hobby jockey but he would represent such good value for someone wanting to move up at BE.

skewbald86

Visit site
Sorry didnt realise the horse had done two star, I only skipped through the advert and didn't read it all. If he's done that level and capable of taking someone round lower levels then he is worth more than hundreds, I was just thinking with how the Market is at the mo could get quite a bit for similar price, but not with that experience. But I'm awful and would never buy anything in it's teens I'm ageist! So the thought of buying a 15 year old with previous vet issues would not appeal not matter what the experience for that price, but to another person could be exactly what they are looking for.

be positive

Visit site
I dont think he is overpriced but think that maybe needing a competent and confident rider and being a schoolmaster is a bit confusing to some people.I know what you mean,and you obviously you dont want a novice to try him but it could be putting people off.
Its a bit like saying forward going ,what is forward to some is total lunatic to others.
Maybe "ambitious" rider or competitive rider,would sound better,you can assess their competence when they try him.
I always try to say as little as possible about the rider required when I advertise. I sell a few ponies and never describe them as 1st/2nd ponies I find that I get more response to the ad. and can then suss out on the phone if they are suitable,it doesnt always work but most times I do get the right people to view.

michelleyork

Visit site
To be honest, it would be a) price for his age, b) more details on vet issues that would stop me even enquiring.

Ok, I am not into the eventing side of things! I was looking for am SJ schoolmaster a while back and was happy to look at any age - there were 15/16 yr olds out there grade As for only a couple of thousand and once vet issues explained I was fine about them. But not sure if I would have called if mentioned in advert.

It is also a crappy time of year, lots of people advertising as off to uni - so a bit of a buyers market.

Could you put 'sensible offers considered' ? On the advert? And explain why he hasn't run recently and more info about vet issues??

BEUnderTheInfluence

Visit site
Too expensive?

Are you guys for real?

This to me is an absolute bargain, vet issues or not, what a young rider could learn from him is invaluable. I think you're spot on if not too generous with the price, shame about your jaw and not being able to do a couple more runs with him; couldn't you find someone else to take him round a decent novice just to prove a point?

Not a clue why people are saying too expensive! C'mon people....

langside

Visit site
I would have him if I could afford another
The right person will come along and see his potential
My superstar schoolmistress was 14 extremely fat and failed the vetting on every leg!!! But we saw her potential and managed her right and she was still BEing/ open PC champs until 21 !!!
Pricing a horse isn't easy and half the time it's down to luck nothing else!!

Festive_Felicitations

Visit site
If I win the lottery, and you don't think he will mind the flight, I'll take him off your hands!

If I convert his price to AUD I think he is spot on. I would possibly change the vet bit to either state what the problem is or add vets happy to discuss issue/ given the all clear.

The suggestions of a clear run or two sounds like an excellent idea to show that he is sound and back on form again.